Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got Akrapovic installed. What a beautiful piece of workmanship. And what a sound!!! Stock pipe was O.K.- but the deep growl she has now is downright sexy. Chose to keep D.B. limiter end in can and I think I'll leave it that way. Not so loud to piss off the normal. Gotta send ECU to Nick next.

·
Registered
342 Posts
do you get a lot of decel pop with it and im curious why your sending your ecu in is it for this pipe or another reason im getting a akrapovic soon and don't want to open a can of worms with it I like how the bike runs now...

·
Registered
555 Posts
do you get a lot of decel pop with it and im curious why your sending your ecu in is it for this pipe or another reason im getting a akrapovic soon and don't want to open a can of worms with it I like how the bike runs now...
If you like the way your bike runs now..........

You are going to absolutely love the way it runs after a flash. Get it done. For you guys in the states, that price is an absolute bargain to totally fix all the harshness the bike has.

I thought my bike ran fine too. I now know that this certainly wasn't the case.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No popping- I think if you remove DB limiter cap it will. Runs fine, remember that this pipe is offered by Yamaha as a direct replacement for stock with noise cap in. Getting flash done by Stoltec to improve/smooth driveability in general.

·
Registered
251 Posts

You are going to absolutely love the way it runs after a flash. Get it done. For you guys in the states, that price is an absolute bargain to totally fix all the harshness the bike has.

Have you had the flash done mate?

·
Registered
342 Posts
ive read about the flash and I have no problem with how my throttle performs.....I LOVE the engine braking and don't want to lose that it fits perfect for my style riding......Thanks for the info on the pipe I cant wait till I can get mine....

·
Registered
182 Posts

Your post is a little confusing. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust with a new fuel map or are you talking about the throttle response ECU flash? The two are very different.

Regardless of how any bike sounds after changing the exhaust you should have the fuel map in your ECU changed to accommodate the increased air flow. You risk damaging your engine if not.

·
Registered
182 Posts
No popping- I think if you remove DB limiter cap it will. Runs fine, remember that this pipe is offered by Yamaha as a direct replacement for stock with noise cap in. Getting flash done by Stoltec to improve/smooth driveability in general.
I can't find that on the Yamaha website, where is it that you see that it's a direct replacement for the stocker?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I can't find that on the Yamaha website, where is it that you see that it's a direct replacement for the stocker?
I heard this quote before...I also heard it's the only exhaust that doesn't void warranty; however, I've never seen it in writing. I'd love to know if a fuel remap is truly "REQUIRED" or just "PREFERRED".

Would the DB killer installed limit the "leanness" of the bike vs. DB killer removed -- just curious?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Changing the entire exhaust I would think you need a re-flash or a Power Commander V.
I never changed the entire exhaust, I used a Yoshi slip on for my SV and have a M4 ordered for the FZ. At first no power commander for a season. Then when I had the money I got a PCIII for the SV650, opened the air box a little and put K and N air filter and what a difference. Definitely recommend. I am not a mechanic. I am going to use the M4 slip on a while without the flash cause I have no money. As soon as I can I think I will get Stoltec ECU Flash.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Someone on the UK forum had a play about with the in dash CO settings and found that 14 seems to be the sweet spot for the Akrapovic, so deffo worth setting that for now.

Sent from outer space

·
Registered
235 Posts
Someone on the UK forum had a play about with the in dash CO settings and found that 14 seems to be the sweet spot for the Akrapovic, so deffo worth setting that for now.

Sent from outer space
I'm guessing your not in the states?

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's the only exhaust available that mounts in the exact same place as the OEM exhaust so it is a model specific direct replacement. The other ones out there use bands or clamps to hold it in place. More or less a generic pipe made to fit the bike.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have another thread going about being really disappointed with the two brothers, one of the reasons was the placement and shape of the pipe means your right ear gets absolutely destroyed by the volume and tone. How do you find the Akra?

To give some context, I road around for about 20 minutes and had a headache by the end of that short trip, and I'm not a baby about loud noises :p Typically I'll wear ear plugs but for short trips I don't bother, I would have to always wear them with the two-bro's pipe which seemed more annoying than I care for.

Thoughts?

Also: CONGRATS on your new pipe!!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have another thread going about being really disappointed with the two brothers, one of the reasons was the placement and shape of the pipe means your right ear gets absolutely destroyed by the volume and tone. How do you find the Akra?

To give some context, I road around for about 20 minutes and had a headache by the end of that short trip, and I'm not a baby about loud noises :p Typically I'll wear ear plugs but for short trips I don't bother, I would have to always wear them with the two-bro's pipe which seemed more annoying than I care for.

Thoughts?

Also: CONGRATS on your new pipe!!!
The Akra with the db insert in is a really nice quality sound that's not too loud at all, the Akra with the db insert out is VERY deep at low revs (so much so that I might mod my db insert a little and refit it for an inbetween sort of sound) but sounds awesome at high revs.

Sent from outer space

·
Registered
555 Posts
Your post is a little confusing. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust with a new fuel map or are you talking about the throttle response ECU flash? The two are very different.

Regardless of how any bike sounds after changing the exhaust you should have the fuel map in your ECU changed to accommodate the increased air flow. You risk damaging your engine if not.
No specifically talking about the ECU flash, sorry for confusion. My exhaust system is stock.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts