Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Decided to finally pull the trigger and bought a No Mar tire changer when I got my last stimulus check. Had to do my part for the economy! Opted for the trailer hitch mount too, just in case I might want it down the road.

The assembly was fairly straight forward. Hardest part was drilling the holes for the concrete anchors. Though I borrowed a hammer drill from my neighbor which made quick work of the task. Nothing like the right tool to make the job go smoothly. Anybody want to share pointers and tips and tricks, in all ears.

View attachment 163922 View attachment 163923 View attachment 163924 View attachment 163925 View attachment 163926
I went the less physical way !

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,319 Posts
@abe57 Daaaaang! I know that wasn’t cheap... But they sure are nice to use. 😎

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
A friend of mine bought one of those pro tire machines. He had no idea how it works and as it turns out neither did I.
We could have made a killer YouTube video trying to figure it out because sometimes ya just gotta laugh at yourself!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Yeah I remember talking about this thing with you. I did consider the pnematic approach, but lacking my own dedicated space I went singing slightly more mobile. I bet it's definitely nice to use.
It's been a life saver! My buddy has two FZ1's that I change Tires on and then mine and in just a few years it's paid for itself ! Probably change out 6~8 tires yearly just between the two of us! Will admit b4 this and using tire spoons I did ruin two brand new tires ripping the tire beads..and alot of blood sweatandtears ! Had to be a better way.... And the city dump is just a few miles away so to get rid of the old tires is easy but they went from $1.50 per tire disposal to $3.00 per tire this year ! Also what I like is I mounted wheels on it so I can easily move it around ...

·
Registered
102 Posts
...using tire spoons I did ruin two brand new tires ripping the tire beads..and alot of blood sweatandtears ! Had to be a better way.
Right, but we learn from the challenges and you now have an absolute clarity on the need to keep the opposite side of the tire in the "drop center" (valley of the rim) while manipulating the bead over the wheel.
Without that knowledge, even the cool new tire machine "could" screw up a tire if the operator didn't know to pay attention to what is happening on the opposite side of the wheel.
Watching all the NoMar videos, you see them constantly working the opposite side of the tire, lifting it up or pushing it down to get that opposite bead into the valley so the side you are working on has room to move over the rim easily (rather than tear it).
I also use their small wood block technique sometimes to make sure that other side is pushed into the central "drop center". Once we get more familiar we can usually just pull or push it with hands to control placement, with lube to keep things from binding up.

This is a screen shot from one of the NoMar videos.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Right, but we learn from the challenges and you now have an absolute clarity on the need to keep the opposite side of the tire in the "drop center" (valley of the rim) while manipulating the bead over the wheel.
Without that knowledge, even the cool new tire machine "could" screw up a tire if the operator didn't know to pay attention to what is happening on the opposite side of the wheel.
Watching all the NoMar videos, you see them constantly working the opposite side of the tire, lifting it up or pushing it down to get that opposite bead into the valley so the side you are working on has room to move over the rim easily (rather than tear it).
I also use their small wood block technique sometimes to make sure that other side is pushed into the central "drop center". Once we get more familiar we can usually just pull or push it with hands to control placement, with lube to keep things from binding up.
View attachment 164006
This is a screen shot from one of the NoMar videos.
Yes I agree with all above..sore knees and all ..but by hand is still a Bitch !!!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts