Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to finally pull the trigger and bought a No Mar tire changer when I got my last stimulus check. Had to do my part for the economy! Opted for the trailer hitch mount too, just in case I might want it down the road.

The assembly was fairly straight forward. Hardest part was drilling the holes for the concrete anchors. Though I borrowed a hammer drill from my neighbor which made quick work of the task. Nothing like the right tool to make the job go smoothly. Anybody want to share pointers and tips and tricks, in all ears.

·
Registered
322 Posts
you know you could have used a drop in anchor. thats what i used for my nomar

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,319 Posts
you know you could have used a drop in anchor. thats what i used for my nomar
Still have to drill holes in the concrete, though... 💁🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still have to drill holes in the concrete, though... 💁🏻‍♂️

The hammer drill made quick work of drilling those holes too. Just never used one before and was afraid of it binding up. No issues with the wedge anchors, but definitely new territory for me.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Don't be stingy with the lube and keep the bead as deep into the rim as you can, it will be much easier. Assuming you've never mounted tires before, the dot on the sidewall should go as close to the valvestem as you can, you'll need less weight to balance.

Do you have a balancer? The Harbor Freight unit I bought works just fine.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't be stingy with the lube and keep the bead as deep into the rim as you can, it will be much easier. Assuming you've never mounted tires before, the dot on the sidewall should go as close to the valvestem as you can, you'll need less weight to balance.

Do you have a balancer? The Harbor Freight unit I bought works just fine.
I got one with the tire changer. Got to watch the whole process when I visited @shamrock in Florida last year. I have not changed tires on a street bike, but have spooned on plenty of dirt tires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think they provide a DVD with the new No Mar's, did you get one?
Mine was used, I watched a dozen videos on youtube. The NoMar site links to them.
Like others have said, the "drop center" is your friend (placing the opposite side as you work the tire on and off with the bar).

Where you put the lube is a big, big deal to avoid fighting the tire. The videos will show you - but until you do it yourself it is kind of just theory.
One of these tire lube applicators will be the best $4 you ever spent, to put the lube where it needs to go

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think they provide a DVD with the new No Mar's, did you get one?
Mine was used, I watched a dozen videos on youtube. The NoMar site links to them.
Like others have said, the "drop center" is your friend (placing the opposite side as you work the tire on and off with the bar).

Where you put the lube is a big, big deal to avoid fighting the tire. The videos will show you - but until you do it yourself it is kind of just theory.
One of these tire lube applicators will be the best $4 you ever spent, to put the lube where it needs to go
[/URL]

Nope no dvd, but there were directions to go to some videos. I've watch a ton of video leading up to this purchase, now I think it's just learning what's going to work for me. It those little practicle tips that usually end up helping the most. I was thinking about a tire lube brush today, trying to decide if I needed one. I guess I'll grab one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
tire lube brush ...trying to decide if I needed one.
you won't "need" one to get the job done, they don't use them in the videos. I was in the habit of using one from pre-NoMar days, and I personally still find it helpful.
Like when the beads are broken on both sides, getting the lube under the lip of the top rim. The videos show wiping it on with your hand, but after a while you are getting lube on and off your hand to do various tasks... and I wear disposable gloves that are a bit large so they can go on and off quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Last week I changed four 13" trailer tires on my No Mar.
I had to remove the chock blocks to break the bead and then use spoons to put them on but they were actually easier to do than motorcycle tires.
(BTW, I purchased my No Mar from them directly and there was no DVD included)

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How does the hitch mount work? This is very cool and I am envious!
[/QUOTE ]

Basically the top portion of the changer unbolts from the stand. Then you can take it with you. That part then bolts to the hitch mount. If you were doing a ton of track days I could see it coming in really handy.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Nice set up. I wish I had the space.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice set up. I wish I had the space.

Funny thing is I installed it in my mom's garage, as I don't have room at my place. It's where I do all my wrenching. One day when the crazy insane US housing market cools down and is realistically priced again, I'll be looking to get into a new house with plenty of room for all my toys.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wish I had the space.
Mounted on thick plywood, bolts into "T-nuts" that are embedded in the plywood. This is No Mar's cheaper "Cycle Hill" model but to me it still seems overbuilt - even if it was just a stand it works amazing compared to working on the ground or over an old car rim.
I got this on Craig's list for $200 a few months ago. The bead breaker is at ground level, so that is different than the higher end models but it breaks beads much easier than the Harbor Freight breaker.
When I pull the bolts, and unbolt the top triangle thing, the metal parts all fit in the corner of a small cargo trailer when I keep my bike out of the rain.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mounted on thick plywood, bolts into "T-nuts" that are embedded in the plywood. This is No Mar's cheaper "Cycle Hill" model but to me it still seems overbuilt - even if it was just a stand it works amazing compared to working on the ground or over an old car rim.
I got this on Craig's list for $200 a few months ago. The bead breaker is at ground level, so that is different than the higher end models but it breaks beads much easier than the Harbor Freight breaker.
When I pull the bolts, and unbolt the top triangle thing, the metal parts all fit in the corner of a small cargo trailer when I keep my bike out of the rain. View attachment 163982

Nice! That's a great score. I might get a shed at some point and was thinking when I do that I'd set it up so that the tire changer bolts into the floor and was removable

1 - 20 of 30 Posts