Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I don't have an FZ-09, but I think it would be a fun bike to ride and I will own one in the near future. I've ridden a few different bikes in my day including the Gen 1 V-Max, I think the acceleration and top speed characteristics of both bikes are similar. There is some more HP that could be wrung out of the FZ-09 engine with an ECU reflash and a few aftermarket bolt-on items and if I could figure out how to keep the front wheel on the ground, it would be a fun street fighter. I have seen on YouTube, drag strip times for the 09 in the mid 11's in stock form, I think that's pretty good for a bike like this and I imagine it could easily get into mid tens with the right set up. I'm hoping to take a test ride when Yamaha Demo Days comes to my local dealership. Spring is here so happy riding. Look forward to sharing with some of you in the future.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum. In the vender's section check out Stoltec, ECU flash, suspension, etc.

To help get acceleration instead of wheelies I'm using clubman bars, almost clip on position, to get my weight forward. Might not go with your street fighter style though lol.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I also have a Gen 1 Vmax. Hard to compare yet, as my FZ-09 is 5 days old, only has about 40 miles on it. Break in still in effect and the weather here has been shitty. It does feel like a feather compared to my Vmax though. Like riding on rails comparatively.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome! :) I started years ago on an '78 KZ400... now with the FZ-09 as my main ride. Have never ridden a V-max, but I can tell you the FZ is a heck of a lot of fun. If you don't laugh and giggle like a school girl during your test ride, I will be very surprised! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Broncsrule, once you get your new bike broke in and get a chance wring it out, I'd like to know how the two compare on acceleration to test my hunch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mothy, by today's standards, the little KZ's weren't much to brag about, but back in the day, at least when I was still a kid, that bike was a a lot of fun for me. I put 6000 miles on it during the first riding season. When I was taking flight instruction in a town about 20 miles away, it was my ride. I have the best memories of riding on this bike because I get the best of both worlds, I got to cruise on the highway with the wind in my face and got to fly above the highway with the wind at my back, GOOD TIMES to be sure!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Hello John and welcome to the forum. The 09 pulls really hard and will surprise a lot of folks. I've had four different liter bikes and I have to say the FZ09 is right up there with them from an acceleration standpoint....at least until it gets a bit north of the triple digit speeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts