Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Making my introduction to this forum, my name is Andrew and I'm looking to purchase an FZ-09 in the next few months. I'm in the Air Force and am currently stationed in Texas, however i'm moving to North Carolina in August and plan to buy the FZ when I get there. This will be my first real sport bike that i've owned. Before you start getting on me about how this isn't a good beginner bike, I have a good amount of prior riding experience. I have owned quads and dirt bikes my entire life, and have ridden a variety of street bikes, some faster than the FZ. I really love the FZ, and i'm looking forward to buying one and participating on this forum!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Welcome! Thanks for your service. You'll love the FZ, it's a great bike at a phenomenal price point. If you can hold out til late summer/early fall, you might be able to pick up a 2015 model...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! Thanks for your service. You'll love the FZ, it's a great bike at a phenomenal price point. If you can hold out til late summer/early fall, you might be able to pick up a 2015 model...
You're welcome! If there aren't any changes for the '15 model, I'll probably take home a liquid graphite '14 at a discounted price (assuming '15s will be out by the time).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So is there anything I should be aware of with the 09 when I buy it? Any common known issues, (or is it still too early too tell)? I'm very good about keeping up with preventative maintenance. A lot of the reviews I watched/read online mentioned the brakes and suspension being an issue. How accurate is this? From what i've gathered, setting the suspension on the stiffest setting will for the most part take care of the issue that was complained about.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm a light weight (145) so the suspension is fine with me. Throttle was a bit jerky @ start but you learn to live with it, it's fine now. Brakes are the best you'll find on a 8k bike. Got 3k on mine & get that stupid grin just thinking about going for a ride.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You will be making a good choice IMO buying the 09, but you might want to hurry dont know how many are left. In my area i dont see near as many at dealers than i did a few months ago.

Best bang for your bucks as they say!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Down here in Texas there's plenty of FZs sitting on the dealership floors. Worst comes to worst when I get to NC, and I can't find an FZ, I'll put a deposit down at a dealership for one and wait for it to come in. I'm so pumped to get this bike! I think about it every day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the service. Marine vet here. Just joined the forum today myself. Waiting for my liquid graphite to come in sometime this month. There has not been many here in Columbus, OH (at least the liquid graphite) to choose from when I started looking so I put a deposit down with a dealer that is supposed to be getting two. Bought some new Scorpion gear and now just waiting on the bike.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
hey all, new to the forum and about to pull the trigger on the FZ-09. this should be an interesting addition to my garage parked next to my '03 Buell XB9S. looking forward to learning more of the bike, see what's the norm and what isn't. common mods done, issues to be aware of, aftermarket swag to add to the bike. access to service manual/parts catalog...electronic or paper? always prefer paper, call me old school if you will...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate.

When you take one for a ride, don't be discouraged by the "abrupt" throttle response. Some like it, otherwise it can be overcome by an ECU flash or kev's O2 mod.

She's a wonderful machine with heaps of character

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
thanks, abrupt in what way...sensitive or delayed response? what program is used in flashing the ECU? I use ECMSpy on the Buell. will have to look up the O2 mod to see what's involved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts