Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I will be moving to Southern Cali in about two weeks. I am very excited to get out there to all year round riding and beautiful weather. I will be living in the Carlsbad/Vista area and would not mind some experienced riders showing me the twisties out there and this "new thing" called "lane splitting" that I have totally never done since it not legal in any other state. :wink::wink::wink:

Thanks

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Dude! I just came from mississippi, lane splitting is a lot of fun! It takes some practice but i dont understand why the rest of the states dont legalize it. Its safer because you dont have to sit at the end of a line of cars stopped at a light or sign waiting to be sandwiched. Take your time with it, but you will see that its a blast. I only know a few roads since i have only been here since september, but it is a biker's paradise. CDolan knows a lot of good rides down here Palomar mtn, Mulholland drive, Hwy 79 & 78 & 76 are all pretty good. Lots of good real mountains compared to the rest of the country. Welcome!

-Zach

·
Registered
554 Posts
With lanesplitting it's really really really really really important to pay close attention to the difference between your speed and the traffic you are splitting through. I have three personal rules that I always follow at this point. 1- don't Lanesplit at higher than 30mph. 2- delta between me and them not more than 10mph. 3- not higher than 2nd gear. If I want third then I stop splitting.

It won't stay legal if people keep getting hurt. I've been hit lanesplitting , it was my fault, it sux and you will be sighted and listed at fault in almost any scenario. I'm not up to date on the actual wording of the vehicle code but there is something about the conditions must be safe, so if you get hit because you're moving too fast for the conditions it's your fault.

In the sf Bay Area there are motorcycle crashes literally every day of the week during commute hours and it's always a bummer to hear about someone getting hurt especially if you just rode through there or are about to!

Read this! http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

Good luck be safe have fun and welcome to California and if you're ever in the sf area come have some pizza at one of my pizza places (Lanesplitter Pizza). :)

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
With lanesplitting it's really really really really really important to pay close attention to the difference between your speed and the traffic you are splitting through. I have three personal rules that I always follow at this point. 1- don't Lanesplit at higher than 30mph. 2- delta between me and them not more than 10mph. 3- not higher than 2nd gear. If I want third then I stop splitting.

It won't stay legal if people keep getting hurt. I've been hit lanesplitting , it was my fault, it sux and you will be sighted and listed at fault in almost any scenario. I'm not up to date on the actual wording of the vehicle code but there is something about the conditions must be safe, so if you get hit because you're moving too fast for the conditions it's your fault.

In the sf Bay Area there are motorcycle crashes literally every day of the week during commute hours and it's always a bummer to hear about someone getting hurt especially if you just rode through there or are about to!

Read this! California Motorcyclist Safety Program

Good luck be safe have fun and welcome to California and if you're ever in the sf area come have some pizza at one of my pizza places (Lanesplitter Pizza). :)

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll make a trip up there for good pizza! Any good Beer to go along with it?

·
Registered
554 Posts
But of course! All our taps are local beers. I worked for a couple small breweries before we opened our first place in 1998 so I'm partial to supporting the local guys!

Daniel

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I live for local beer. Definitely gonna come by when I make it to SF, probably gonna ride or drive up there this summer.

Great...now i'm craving pizza and beer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have been in cali for almost two weeks and have fallen in love with this place already. Aside from the crazy rent there is nothing to not love about this state. I have already found plenty of good rides and motorcycle events. If anyone wants to go riding hit me up in a PM. Also if anyone plans to go to the Long Beach Motorcycle swap meet next week let me know. I will be taking my truck up to find some good things to decorate my garage.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
So I have been in cali for almost two weeks and have fallen in love with this place already. Aside from the crazy rent there is nothing to not love about this state. I have already found plenty of good rides and motorcycle events. If anyone wants to go riding hit me up in a PM. Also if anyone plans to go to the Long Beach Motorcycle swap meet next week let me know. I will be taking my truck up to find some good things to decorate my garage.
It's a motorcycle heaven, I just got down here in September and I love it. I just found the most amazing road. CA 94 aka campo road. It's the same as MLK highway, just when it goes down to two lanes. It follows the Mexican border and has all kinds of wonderful corners. Just watch out for all the border patrol agents. Anywho I'm headed down there today to get a go pro vid of it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good roads to hit around your area... Palomar Mountain (15 miles of uphill super tight twisties), ortega highway 74 (from the 5 to the 15, and stop at the lookout restaurant for a break), and all the highways around Julian, CA (highways 76/78/79) and into Borrego Springs. The latter are my favorite roads.... also Pines to Palms from Hemet, CA to Palm Springs, CA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts