Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Ken and I am new to this site. I purchased a red 9r a few weeks ago and have been busy getting it suited to the way I ride. Although I like the bike as is, especially the triple and the seating position. Those are the two things that sold me on the bike. I have a history of putting on over 20K a year and do long trips, hence the FJR, but this little rocket is very well suited for rides in the area that are very twisty and fun. I have been wanting a light fun bike for quite a few years, wish list included the Street Triple R, but I have been making the FJR do the job. Last September I ended up in the Hospital getting 5 new throttle bodies (bypass surgery), which gave me a new look on life. Just so happened Yamaha answered my need for speed and fun. I like so many roads around 100-250 miles form home and I ride year round, cold and warm, so a little more protection is needed. I have spent the last few weeks working on the bike making it suitable for my style of riding. I installed a windshield, which was cut down from an FJR OEM, installed heated grips, electrical outlet to the tank bag, electrical connection for liner and gloves plus a radar detector mount. Along with a travel pack for the tail, I'm ready for my 2-3 day rides to the roads I like and good to carry the rain gear and liners as needed for warmth. Here is a picture:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Auto part Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Windshield Automotive exterior

Reactions: Nig, Niner and Josh

·
Registered
611 Posts
Welcome to the board Ken!

Bike looks good man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
Looks great! Red is definitely the right color!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Which tank bag is that? Looks like its magnetic, how do you like it on the 09?
It is a Cortec Mini, but isn't made anymore. If you can find one, get it. Most people I know that have this tankbag use them until they fall apart. Mine are 5-6 years old. I mainly use them to hold the electronic for: gps, phone, audio unit, radar detector, so when it rains, I shove the radar d and gps into the tank bag. Cover the bag if it is going to be a good contiuous rain. The audio unit plugs into my helmet so I can listen to music from either the phone or the gps files. This is a link to a picture:

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/cortech-magnetic-mini-tank-bag/03-82401.aspx?catargetid=1808323781&cadevice={device}&gclid=CIy0iIPX1rwCFURsfgodzC8AHw&gclid=CIy0iIPX1rwCFURsfgodzC8AHw&jadid=6108136680&jap={adposition}&jkId=gpt:pt_115707&js=1&jsid=36240&jt=1&jr=http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/cortech-magnetic-mini-tank-bag/03-82401.aspx%3Fcatargetid%3D1808323781%26cadevice%3D{device}&gclid=CIy0iIPX1rwCFURsfgodzC8AHw

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
244 Posts
great thanks for sharing Ken, remember to post your 2-3 day riding trip experiences :)
BTW have you tailored the suspension to you?

·
Registered
885 Posts

Ken, congratulations on your FZ-09, your personal and motorcycle mods, and your new look on life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great thanks for sharing Ken, remember to post your 2-3 day riding trip experiences :)
BTW have you tailored the suspension to you?
No, I haven't tailored the suspension. I only have 220 miles and haven't had any weather to run it hard. Generally, at 160 lbs and 5-7, I am usually the exact size for the stock setup. Even with the GP suspension on my FJR, the settings are right in the middle, but of course they should be. I haven't even measured to set the preload, but it feels on the stiff side when I ride and maybe I can soften it up a little???? I also feel that you need to ride the bike before making changes, as the set up may work just the way it is. Why waste money when it works just fine. But of course when you change later, you wonder how you ever got along with the stock set up, I did.

Reactions: 765

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome Ken! Your bike looks awesome and glad to hear you've recovered really well from your bypass surgery. Have a wonderful time and please post pictures of your trips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome Ken! Your bike looks awesome and glad to hear you've recovered really well from your bypass surgery. Have a wonderful time and please post pictures of your trips.
I will be in Silver City, NM on May 29-Jun 1. Fri or Sat will be riding US 191 in AZ. Maybe both days?? A little get together with other FJR folks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts