Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Automotive fuel system

Within the last hour I have agreed to buy this mint 2019 Tracer GT. It currently resides in Perth, Western Australia, about 4500 km from me, and about as far as one could travel in a straight line in Oz! This will be my second GT, and it has all that I need for the light touring I want to undertake before I grow too old - comfy seat (a rarity on an MT-09), nice easily hand-adjustable screen, hard panniers, cruise control, etc.

Not too much farkling will be done, and previous experience should help me to make the right decisions there - a small rear carry rack and a small top-box for day-rides, louder more attention-grabbing horn, twin front DRLs, rear flashing/ pulsing brake LEDs a la Skene.

I'm like a 12 yo on Christmas Eve!

More later...,

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,030 Posts
NOW (Monday April 4th 2022) advertised AS BELOW on the BIKESALES website with many pix, extra inclusions, and asking price slightly lower View attachment 170048
:

Here’s a steal! This classic and immaculate Yamaha MT-09 SP with build-date of October 2020 was bought by me in November 2021. It was dealer-serviced on January 10th. 2022 and since then has covered only an additional 333km, thanks to covid restrictions, border closures, and terrible weather events. Current mileage is a mere 1607km.

Why sell? I’m nudging 83, and having some health issues I feel the time has come to hang up my helmet. An expensive loss, but your gain!

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
How do you afford to keep doing this? You just sold a bike with almost no miles. In April it was time to hang up your helmet and now in June your like a 12 year old on Christmas eve. The year before you had failing eyesight and vertigo. This is quite an interesting saga. This is like the 4th or 5th time you've done this. In less then 3 months you've sold a bike only to buy the exact same bike. I'm beyond curious now. How do you go from 1 extreme to another. You keep posting so I think it's fair to ask. I'm also wondering that as you've done this multiple times, why not just leave the bike sitting in the back of the garage in the event that you change your mind.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm happy for you! I remember your post about hanging up your helmet...things must have changed for you and I hope you enjoy the bike for years to come!

Thank you! Yes indeed - I did hang up my helmet some time ago with firm intentions of never getting another bike, but it gets into one's blood, doesn't it, and I found it hard to let go! The current owner has added quite a number of farkles, not all of which I'd have bothered with, such as blue anodised brake reservoir caps, valve stems, and oil filler cap, but I'll certainly keep them. The more useful ones are: belly pan: Powerzone radiator guard: R&G tail tidy. It seems that I'll have relatively little to add to make it complete for my needs.

Pic below (from Yamaha's press release) shows the bike with panniers fitted but without the aftermarket belly pan, exactly as I have now bought. Happy days!

Cloud Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
24 Posts
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
How do you afford to keep doing this? You just sold a bike with almost no miles. In April it was time to hang up your helmet and now in June your like a 12 year old on Christmas eve. The year before you had failing eyesight and vertigo. This is quite an interesting saga. This is like the 4th or 5th time you've done this. In less then 3 months you've sold a bike only to buy the exact same bike. I'm beyond curious now. How do you go from 1 extreme to another. You keep posting so I think it's fair to ask. I'm also wondering that as you've done this multiple times, why not just leave the bike sitting in the back of the garage in the event that you change your mind.
Sadly I ask myself many times "how do you afford to keep doing this..." I've gone through many bikes thinking this one will be perfect only to find it doesn't suit my needs and really sucks cause I usually mod them out past getting any value back. I can say that with about 800 miles on the 2022 MT09 it does seem to be the best bike I've ever owned and I feel like it's a keeper.

I've thought there really should be a business of leasing out different styles of motorcycles for 30 days at a time so people can ride them and find out if that style of bike is for them. May be profitable. (My last was an Indian scout bobber. Thought it was nimble enough but I could not get used to the cruiser lifestyle and lean was just horrible and my knees flopping in the wind for long rides sucked)

I can't say I've bought the same bike over and over but it has been close. Even now I wish I kept my old 2012 FZ8. That bike was in superb condition and I only paid $4200. Should have kept it till now. I am just hoping the madness for myself stops now and I will just ride this MT09 till it dies, it is a truly sweet ride.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Mr MTsRUs--------Like Chester I'm also curious but the difference is that I don't really care.
We all do motorcycles for a variety of different reasons and if you just like to buy and sell bikes that's okay.
I just hope you can find what you're looking for at some point.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
For me, the 2019/ 2020 MT-09 Tracer (and GT) is a very comfortable bike, with ergos just right - sit-up-and-beg stance with back vertical, hip and knee angles relaxed and spot-on. The less the rider is squirming around trying to hit that sweet spot, the better he can concentrate on the road and would-be suiciders. Furthermore, the 18L fuel tank offers decent range in this wide brown land, where there's not a fuel station on every corner!

But - is there a 'perfect bike'? Image below from <cycle-ergo>.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love people who buy, mod, and sell bikes with low kms in pristine condition. They go on my watch list in hopes they might have a bike for sale when I'm interested in buying lol.

If you care to move down to Oz I will put you at the top of my contact list next time!

• Haha
Reactions: astcyr and betoney

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
My new-to-me 2019 MT-09 Tracer GT is now on its way from far-off Perth in Western Australia. It's a very long haul, and I have entrusted it to a well-known company that only transports motorcycles, name of Bikes-Only. I have used this business before, both in sending bikes and receiving them, and have always been extremely satisfied.

The map below shows what the route from the west to east is likely to be, at 5549km or 3448 miles, as it makes sense that there is probably more need for their services in the major cities along the way rather than in the sparsely-populated bush or outback. Much of this route is, in fact, the only road east-west along the southern edge of our vast country, and there's no direct east-west highway across the middle of Oz from Perth to our eastern seaboard.

Some time ago I did ride from west to east as part of a 14,700km solo circuit of Oz, riding my BMW R1200 GS, and would have been quite prepared to do so again, but not in the winter months we are now in the midst of - after all, the next stop south is the Antarctic!.

The GT is scheduled to arrive at my home on July 19th. I'd have preferred it to be a little earlier, but to be honest the weather here in Queensland has been dreadful for a long time now, and certainly not conducive to enjoyable bike outings. But there will be other times!

World Map Rectangle Atlas Font

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
To mark my changeover from SP to GT I have reverted to an earlier Username and avatar - see left. Why? Why not! A simple and speedy swap thanks to Verticalscope.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My new-to-me 2019 Tracer 900 GT was safely delivered today after a long (5500 km) and time-consuming trip across Australia from Perth. If anything, the bike is better than new, if such a thing is possible, as it sparkles from top to bottom and end to end, exactly as seen in the many excellent pix the owner sent me. I'm ready to start farkling, with knowledge of exactly what I want from a previous GT that I owned a few years ago, although this bike has a lot of useful stuff already fitted. My additions will also be of the bling-free nature, such as a rear luggage rack: front DRLs: louder horn: Grip Puppies: auxiliary mirrors and mirror riser/ extenders: etc.

The all-important first ride will have to wait for few days, as unfortunately my wife has just been diagnosed with covid and I'm not prepared to leave her 'home alone' until she is better. Meantime, I've got to try hard to avoid this vicious virus myself, although Oz is experiencing a very widespread and serious resurgence of the virus, with many deaths daily in all States.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, guys - I'm very happy indeed with bike, 'tho of course all depends on that first outing! But that will have to wait for at least a week as I have now (as of this morning) joined my wife in the Covid Club!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
NICE! The bike looks spotless and you look like one happy young fella!
Hope your wife recovers quickly!

A mere 16000km - just nicely run-in/ broken in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts