Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks,
totally new to the two wheeled world. Always thougth of myself as a 4 wheel only person. But im gaining more and more interest. Need some candid advice.
Ive done lots of research and im basically down to deciding between 2 bikes. or you can suggest a 3rd if if meets the criteria. naked, reasonably priced, japanese reliability.

I understand the idea of starting from a "begginer bike" and work my way up, but i feel, i want to go streight to the bike i want and keep for longterm.
Im deciding between the FZ07 (willing to wait) and FZ09. I am 30's 5'6 135lbs, new to bikes, mature, have been racing shifter karts on big tracks like laguna seca, miller motorsports park, Sonoma, for many years, also ride a utility atv for fun. I love offroad just as much as onroad asphalt. What brought about the interest in bikes is the need for a street legal toy. current toys require a track or a trail. I want to be able to ride from my garage. Ride almost whenever i want reasonably. i also want to run this bike in a track on track days. I'm not after a lap record, just ride fast as reasonably safe and fun.

For a lightweight rider like me, which bike would best suit my needs? 75hp FZ07 enough? or 115hp FZ09 too much?
thanks in advance, jason

·
Registered
63 Posts
To be honest the FZ-09 I have a deposit on with be my 21st bike in the past 12 years, yeah, I know. Regardless in that time I have amassed over 100k miles on two wheels. A key to what you said was maturity, you can ride a Panigale 1199 S if you don't twist the throttle too much. As far as power it comes down to the space between your ears, and your ability to control how much wrist you put into it. The MT-07 could be a very good bike for you, but who knows when it will be here, if at all. The great thing about the FZ-09 is the three mode ability. Ride in B mode until you have several miles under your belt then progress up.
After all that, a safer bet to even see if you like street riding would be to search Cragislist for something cheap that you could easily flip or even trade and get your money back out of. This way you don't have a big investment sitting in the garage that you don't enjoy.
JCIII

Reactions: Brvt1000

·
Registered
663 Posts
There are several threads on the forum dedicated to the debate of the FZ-09 as a starter bike. Although you'll get those for and against, most will advise against it. Ultimately, it's a lot of bike for someone learning the ropes regardless of prior motorized background.

You may want to use the search feature and find some of those threads. Good luck. Here is a link to one such thread.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-g...at-beginner-bike.html?highlight=beginner+bike

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have owned 7? Or 8? bikes in my life, the fz09 is the first new bike I have ever bought. There are lots of great bikes out there for sale second hand and to be frank, buying a new bike is kinda dumb. They cost too much and lose about 1k the second you drive it out the door. I only bought the fz09 because I am finally in a position that I can afford the folly of buying a new bike and I wanted to encourage yamaha to keep making bikes like this. And they didn't have any used ones on Craig's list. If you have 3500 saved up you can get a good condition race replica 600, a nice sport tourer, any number of good quality crossover bikes, a street legal dirt bike (which are a hoot on the street by the way), an Italian exotic, or even a cruiser with lots of chrome (if that's your thing). If you don't spend too much on the first purchase (or crash it) you can flip them and try them all. I strongly suggest you try that. In a few years if you still have your heart set on an 09, you can buy one used and chances are, it will have many of the mods you read about here on the forum that you won't want to buy. But do what you want.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have owned 7? Or 8? bikes in my life, the fz09 is the first new bike I have ever bought. There are lots of great bikes out there for sale second hand and to be frank, buying a new bike is kinda dumb. They cost too much and lose about 1k the second you drive it out the door. I only bought the fz09 because I am finally in a position that I can afford the folly of buying a new bike and I wanted to encourage yamaha to keep making bikes like this. And they didn't have any used ones on Craig's list. If you have 3500 saved up you can get a good condition race replica 600, a nice sport tourer, any number of good quality crossover bikes, a street legal dirt bike (which are a hoot on the street by the way), an Italian exotic, or even a cruiser with lots of chrome (if that's your thing). If you don't spend too much on the first purchase (or crash it) you can flip them and try them all. I strongly suggest you try that. In a few years if you still have your heart set on an 09, you can buy one used and chances are, it will have many of the mods you read about here on the forum that you won't want to buy. But do what you want.
I agree accept that buying a new bike is only dumb if you keep for less than 10 years. Otherwise, you would be better off buying used. I bought and sold supersports from craigslist for about 2 years. Not only was I getting paid to ride sweet bikes around, I got to meet a lot of cool people. In the end I was able to save up enough to afford my brand new fz-09 that I will have until at least 2024.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Very good advice Pacer. I couldn't have said it better myself...........well, at least yours is the shorter version of what I would have said. My wife says that I'm kind of long-winded.........I don't believe that for a minute though! :cool:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I would reconsider "long term", buy a used bike for a year, then bite on the FZ-09 if you feel the need. Having raced shifter karts, the FZ-07 is going to feel slow in short order. Just my two cents worth, but I have never owned a slow streetbike in the 38 years I have been riding on the street, which is probably why the FZ-07 has zero appeal to me.

Constructive, that's a big word like mayonnaise.

News flash, you don't have to ever drop a bike, I haven't ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a new rider you won't know what you like or don't until you get on the road and ride your ride: distance, speed, purpose (commuting, fun-only rides, food shopping, etc.). Foolish to waste $ on a new ride until you have those answers. Buy used and ride for a year. Plus when you drop it the first time you won't vomit through your helmet figuring the loss. Instead you'll log the memory and do better next time...

·
Registered
38 Posts
...A key to what you said was maturity, you can ride a Panigale 1199 S if you don't twist the throttle too much. As far as power it comes down to the space between your ears, and your ability to control how much wrist you put into it. The MT-07 could be a very good bike for you, but who knows when it will be here, if at all. The great thing about the FZ-09 is the three mode ability. Ride in B mode until you have several miles under your belt then progress up.
JCIII
+1 ^^^

I had 2 friends buy R1s as their first bikes. People told them they were going to die. I told them they would be fine as long a they resisted all temptation to be stupid. They evidently listened. They are both still here and doing fine. Power will not kill you. How you use that power is a different story.

IMHO many naysayers who say to never start on a larger cc bike are the ones who couldn't control themselves on a 600 or 750 and binned it a few weeks after they got it citing the blame on power vs lack of experience, attemting to wheelie, panic brake mid corner, overcooking a corner etc---rider error issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm soon to be buying an FZ-09 as my first real "sport" bike. The only other street legal bike I've owned was a dual sport Yamaha WR250R. However I've ridden many other sport bikes, including a Triumph street triple 1050cc. I know what to expect out of the FZ, and I think as long as you can put all the urge to wring the throttle and act stupid past you while you're learning proper street riding techniques, you will be fine.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey folks,
totally new to the two wheeled world. Always thougth of myself as a 4 wheel only person. But im gaining more and more interest. Need some candid advice.
Riding a motorcycle is very different from driving a car; like others have said, you would be better off with a lesser-powered used bike upon which you can build your confidence. Ultimately the goal is to hone your skills on a less-intimidating bike that you can consistently control, to master its abilities; that's a far more productive approach than buying a bike where you'll need to tip-toe around its aggressive power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
thanks a lot everyone, all valuable info and actually all thought off already. my approach on riding is not for commute purposes, but im well aware and in constant assumption that other vehicles on the road don't see me/cutme off/ drive stupid etc. Ive always wanted to make this step to bikes, just now actually taking the step. Appreciate all you guys info. Looking for a balance of mostly street and sometimes track able bike. Im not throttle happy, I have restraint.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey folks,
Ive done lots of research and im basically down to deciding between 2 bikes. or you can suggest a 3rd if if meets the criteria. naked, reasonably priced, japanese reliability.

I understand the idea of starting from a "begginer bike" and work my way up, but i feel, i want to go streight to the bike i want and keep for longterm.
Im deciding between the FZ07 (willing to wait) and FZ09. I am 30's 5'6 135lbs, new to bikes, mature, have been racing shifter karts on big tracks like laguna seca, miller motorsports park, Sonoma, for many years, also ride a utility atv for fun. I love offroad just as much as onroad asphalt. What brought about the interest in bikes is the need for a street legal toy. current toys require a track or a trail. I want to be able to ride from my garage. Ride almost whenever i want reasonably. i also want to run this bike in a track on track days. I'm not after a lap record, just ride fast as reasonably safe and fun.

For a lightweight rider like me, which bike would best suit my needs? 75hp FZ07 enough? or 115hp FZ09 too much?
thanks in advance, jason
This is my first street bike, i have riden dirt since i was a kid on and off. That been said i agree with the firerider it' up to you how you ride. I went for the fz09 because well its bad ass but i figured i would not out grow it right away. Take one for a test ride and see if you like. I say go for the FrankeZtine 09. Get ecu flash and ride on.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
As an MSF Ridercoach I see the same thing every class. Everyone thay wants to start riding has some ideal riding in their mind. Most of the time that ideal is wrong for them but since they lack experience riding they don't know any better.

The problem arises when tge new rider invests in their IDEAL bike and then can't ride it the way they thought or don't like riding it because it is not what they thought it was going to be like.

But, they bought thr new bike and can't afford to take the loss on selling it or trading it in.

Had a student in class this weekend, he spent probably $25k on his ideal HD and gear.

Bike was totally what he thought he wanted but had never ridden a bike befire.

Now he wants something smaller an more upright..

But he is stuck with the HD because he can't afford to take the loss.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Take the ckass. Buy all the gear. Buy a cheap used bike and ride for a season. Buy a new bike next year.

Reactions: Bashar_P

·
Registered
520 Posts
Fz09 is best bang for your buck in the 2 wheeled world right now, especially being that it meets the criteria of the streetfighter you are looking for, i was stuck between the fz09, triumph speed triple, and street triple r... You wont need a suspension upgrade with your weight either, im 160lb and suspension is good for me , anyone above 190 might consider the suspension for fz.

The fz09 os ridiculously low priced for what you get, only downfall is a small gas tank in my opinion.
Speed triple was actually my 1st choice, but it felt awkward sitting on one for me.

Mv agusta brutale is just a sick bike, but you're paying for it.

Street triple is sweet but has same ergonomics as speed triple, i probably could have gotten used to them fast and easily, but the fz09 reminded me of a pollished up "mad max" bike, and spoke to me
See if dealers allow test rides where you are from.

Good luck sir

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
DON'T buy a BRAND NEW bike for your first bike. Never a good idea. Start with used bikes. I bought and sold a bunch of bikes before buying the fz-09 brand new. But I never would be able to appreciate the fz-09 for what it is without the experience of riding all those other bikes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts