Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious to hear about your experiences with new tire install. I ordered new Michelin pr4s from Revzilla and called a local dealer about install. Turns out they can get the tire for cheaper (though I'm. It sure what the price is with tax- probably a wash) and only charge $44/per tire to install but it also turns out that they won't install tires an owner brings in purchased elsewhere. Happen to you before? He said this is for liability purposes - and I get that - but if it's a brand new tire from a reputable retailer? Wanted to call bullshit but didn't. Can always return tires to Revzilla free of charge. Common response from dealers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
$44 per tire is very expensive. Local shop here mounts and balances tires that you buy from them for free (wheels off the bike), and they are essentially at Internet pricing for the tires. If you take tires in that you didn't buy from them, it's $20 each. Just one data point. Things here tend to be expensive overall.

·
Registered
584 Posts
let your fingers do the walking and call around. A reputable independent bike shop did mine for 20.00 each and He told me if I brought in the axle balancing was free. I dropped them off at noon and picked them up after work at 4pm. There are small shops with proper tools who want your business. My closest dealer was 25 miles away, the independent guy was in my town and has been here 4 years. I know I took some chances the first time but how else you going to find someone you can trust. Ask other riders at bike nights if they have them in your area for shop names that they like.

Reactions: stuarth

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Curious to hear about your experiences with new tire install. I ordered new Michelin pr4s from Revzilla and called a local dealer about install. Turns out they can get the tire for cheaper (though I'm. It sure what the price is with tax- probably a wash) and only charge $44/per tire to install but it also turns out that they won't install tires an owner brings in purchased elsewhere. Happen to you before? He said this is for liability purposes - and I get that - but if it's a brand new tire from a reputable retailer? Wanted to call bullshit but didn't. Can always return tires to Revzilla free of charge. Common response from dealers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of our dealers in the Halifax area will not mount tires purchased elsewhere. It's been their policy for many years... some may say it's to make the tire sale too, but they already discount their tires compared to other dealers I've priced. There is a definite liability issue...

·
Registered
245 Posts
I got really sick of paying the local ducati shop that I'd been going to for about 10 years so I bought a No-Mar tire machine and started doing it myself. The final straw was when I took my bike in to have the brake calipers rebuilt and ended up with a $500 charge, a brake lever that went back to the bar, and a broken speedo glass. I noticed the crack in my speedo right away, told the service manager and he blamed me. I reiterated the litany of stupid stuff they'd done to my bike in 10 years (dangerous hidghlights include: somehow screwing up my forks during a seal replacement such that they locked and would not compress at all, changing my shift to GP shift, and leaving my axle pinch bolts untightened). I expressed my need for them to make it right. They got the part in and I wouldn't even let them put it on. So, I happily do my tires any time I want and can change back/forth for trips.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yeah,if he does not want your money, make his wish come true .
call around....I'm sure someone will do it..

·
Registered
768 Posts
I can't remember how many "heavy" tires that required a chunk of weight to balance correctly or ones with a construction date of several years ago that folks brought into my friend's shop where I used to work. He finally stopped mounting any internet purchased tires for financial reasons. Even buying from Parts Unlimited, etc... at a reduced rate, he couldn't match prices and stay in business. He would tell a prospective customer:
Yes, you may have saved $ buying online. But, you (customer) will pay to have the tires unmounted, shipped back and the freight and mounting of the replacement if there's a problem. If we sold a tire to someone and there was an issue, the bike owner paid nothing extra. As far as liability was concerned, my friend's fear was if a tire fails, a rider crashes and is injured or killed, the insurance company and family is coming first after the last people to handle the tire - the installer.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My dealership charges like an extra 10 per tire if purchased elsewhere ... I would find another shop and only use that dealership for free warranty work... To hell with them, they dont want to do you the service after you made them a comission on a bike purchase, tell them they are getting a bad review from you to corporate and only let them do free work for you.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My dealer said they would charge $60 per tire and that was cheap in this area after I made a few calls! They were okay with tires being shipped to them- but when I quoted them the price, they matched it and charged me $60 for installing both tires- I got the PR4 set for $300 as I would get from CompAcc. They do try to give me a "deal" mainly 'cos I got the bike from them- on which they gave me a deal too (8500 in this area was like a steal a year back!). Someone else (not the main guy I trust) worked on replacing the tires though and ended up scratching the blue rim- which I can't color match yet to cover up....but its not been too bad with them. This city is too expensive!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got a No-Mar last year and started charging $20 to some friends to mount and balance and paid for the machine in 6 months.
Before the No-Mar I did the spoons on a 5 gallon bucket and never had any issues with 17" rims.
DIY every chance you get! Most dealers don't even balance the wheel. Mark your weights next time you take one in and see for yourself.

Reactions: buck

·
Registered
657 Posts
NoMar for the win!!

And home balancer for the double win!!

Great investment.

Reactions: yamahamer

·
Registered
290 Posts
I do mounting and static balance of my offroad tires, but just can't get the exact balance a road force balancer can on street tires. For my street tires, it pays to have them purchase and install at shop with the expensive equipment. I do save money by removing and mounting the wheels on the bike though. Usually they can do they while I wait since they are already off the bike.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
No Mar is great, but I don't 'No Mar' space to store that.. luckily I found a dealership that will sell me Q3's front/rear for $250 installed where everyone else sells them for $500+. Going there this weekend to get a fresh rear.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My local guys have Pilot Power 3s(my preferred tire) for the same price revzilla carries them for, and charge $40 install if I ride the bike in, or only $10 if I bring the wheel in. Last time I had them put tires on, I'd bought them online and brought the wheels in for the install, they didn't upcharge me for bringing in outside tires.

·
Super Moderator
4,390 Posts
I have to say that I know of several independent motorcycle shops that carry no liability insurance. So I can see how "they" might be concerned
about liability. In addition, I've never gotten a mail order tire that was older than four months and have never seen a tire mounting tech
give a tire any more scrutiny than to make sure they were mounting the tire in the correct direction. So the thought that a dealer is our
last line of defense in regards to tire integrity, is laughable. The best independent shops in Atlanta will mount and balance "internet tires"
off the bike for around $50 a set.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts