Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 3k on the odometer and I already chewed thru the stock dunlop d214 down to the wearbars. Anyone else have this issue? Because a new tire every 3k is crazy. Got a Dunlop Q3 coming, hopefully that will last. Some people claim over 8k on stock tires, how is that possible?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
To my knowledge only one member took the stockers to 8k and also low sided the bike. Mine lasted 4k and I was stretching. 3k doesn't seem uncommon at all, particularly if you're a spirited rider. Personally I thought the stock tires were crap, replacing them with PP3s couldn't have come soon enough.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I love to twist my right hand and do "Jack Rabbit" starts off the line and loft the front wheel to the moon...well maybe the moon is a slight exaggeration.

My stocker made it to 1100 miles.

Currently running PP3's and get about 2k on the rear and 3500 on the front.

Yes I tend to ride fairly hard and spend most of my time in the twisties.

If you really want tire mileage get a scooter... lol.

Or how bout a Fart car. :la:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have just under 5K on my stock dunlops and the rear is past the wear bars. I have some PR4s that I fully expect to get >10K from. The PR3s that I had on my CBR lasted about 10K and were completely sticky enough for hammering at peg-dragging lean angles, same mileage on my SuperTenere.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Only 3k on the odometer and I already chewed thru the stock dunlop d214 down to the wearbars. Anyone else have this issue? Because a new tire every 3k is crazy. Got a Dunlop Q3 coming, hopefully that will last. Some people claim over 8k on stock tires, how is that possible?
OK, I've got some good news...AND...some bad news for you. First, the good news. The Q3 is a really sticky tire for the street/moderate track use. Now the bad news. My rear Q3 lasted 2700 miles before it was toast.

Reactions: alnbama

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think that is pretty good for a OEM tire. Tires are a consumable item, like oil and gas.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Replaced my OEMs at 1500 miles with PR4s. Almost have 3,000 miles on them and couldn't be happier...with a tire that is.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I ran about 5k on mine and replaced them before the wear bars started to show. Went with the Pilot Power 3 and I'm not too terribly impressed with these.

Going to get the Pirelli Diablo Corsas next time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is my firstvsport bike, so im not used to chewing tires up so fast. I came off a suzuki 800 cruiser that i put tires on and it stiil looked new after 3000 miles. But I am crying about this tire wear so maybe i will ride one of my 3 scooters more often and save the FZs tires for when it really counts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Late last spring, I was in the same position with my stock rear Dunlop D214 tire about worn out after 3,000 miles. Members of this forum helped me understand "Sport Touring" tires, which turned out to be the right move for me, and their greater tread life. A fairly extensive thread is at the following link...

http://www.fz09.org/forum/16-fz-09-wheels-tires/3266-pirelli-angel-gt-dunlop-sportmax-off.html

There are many sport touring tires besides the Pirelli Angel GT. Looks like the tire you ordered is excellent, just not suited for extended tread life.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IDK about the whole sport touring tire thing. I would rather buy 4 rear tires a year... Besides the average Joe spends about 400 a year on tires for his cage anyway.. Thats one way to justify it... I can lot buy 4 at a time once I find a tire I can settle on.. Next is a PP3 or Diablo Rosso 2 after this Q3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My stock Dunlop lasted 2400 miles, cruising and canyon rides. The Bridgestone BT003, just's lasted me a little over 1100 of hard canyon rides Now waiting for the Q3s.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
IDK about the whole sport touring tire thing. I would rather buy 4 rear tires a year... Besides the average Joe spends about 400 a year on tires for his cage anyway.. Thats one way to justify it... I can lot buy 4 at a time once I find a tire I can settle on.. Next is a PP3 or Diablo Rosso 2 after this Q3.
There are some really great sport touring tires out there that will out ride most riders. As mentioned earlier, the Angel GT's are good and so are the Pilot Road 3's and 4's. Novices even do track days on these. But dry grip aside, a good sport touring tire will have vastly more grip when wet and cold than any sport rubber. If you never ride in the rain, cold, and don't mind short tire life, buy any sport rubber you like.

These guys just did a good overview: 2015 Sport Motorcycle Tire Shootout - Motorcycle USA

I personally run Angel GT's on my street bike, but I have a set of PR4's ready to go (the GT's are a little too vague for me). I have been through a few sets of Q3's on the FZ, and aside from the stiff sidewall, they make a great dry tire. They are capable of a non-race A group pace at the track without warmers.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I ran PR4's a few changes ago. They are a great tire.

Got 2500 miles on the rear before I got to get to the wear bars. Front went close to 4k.

The only thing I did not like about the rear was with the hard compound in the center it made it fairly easy to spin up under hard acceleration. This gave it a sort of greasy feel from time to time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea. I hardly ever ride in the rain. If I do its on a scooter or the Intruder.

·
Registered
127 Posts
aw man! you should have gotten some pilot road 4's . those are my favorite street tires and they last so much longer than those q3's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i was like that, i would always buy q2's, s20's because they were the faster guy tires and i thought the grip was needed. then i had bought one of my r6's in street trim and some pilot road 3's were already on the bike. took it out for a spin on some curvy roads and held a good pace, dragging a little knee here and there. thats much more grip than I should need for any street riding I can accomplish

1 - 20 of 49 Posts