Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys help me out here. What are the major differences and the Pro's and Con's for and between the Penske Double Clicker with full 25mm cartridge kit and the Matris "Double Clicker" and full 20mm cartridge kit? I will be doing spirited mountain roads and around town/to and from work as well as (hopefully) at least one maybe even two track days a month during the summer.

Also is there an Ohlins set-up like this? I can only seem to find a shock that looks marginally (though probably better valved) better than stock with no reservoir or compression adjustments and no fork upgrades. Any other companies I'm missing besides Traxxion?

I just want the best bang-for-my-buck suspension and so far the Penske and Matris both seem to fit the bill, but cant find anything to set one over the other. Might be tempted to go with an Ohlins if they have a far superior set-up to the other two like one would expect from the name.

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I have a penske double clicker and spings/shim stack, never tried matris.

The best bang for your buck would be a penske and having the front resprung and better valves/shims to suit. I do similar riding to you- my MT09 is a super commutard, occasional weekend ride. My front end is pretty bloody good. Not quite perfect, but near enough. In Australia, any suspension shop can respring/revalve for about $500, which means it would be cheaper in the US. Springs alone here cost $200, in the us they are under $100. Stoltec was selling something similar (US only) for $250. Much cheaper than $1000 for cartridges.
A 25mm cartridge will be able to make finer adjustments than a 20mm cartridge, and a 30mm will handle finer adjustments again.
You're the only one who can decide what "bang for your buck"really means.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i dont know a difference but i do know there is an Ohlins equivalent for around $1,200. It's a 30mm kit - that's about all i know about it.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I don't know if any company has a far superior product compared to other companies - it all comes down to whats inside the shock, and that can be done by your suspension tuner as all aftermarket shock are can be rebuilt.
any after market shock is still going to be off the shelf valving unless you take it and your bike to a suspension place to get set up for YOU. not every MT09 rider with your weight, but you specifically.

That said, I am more than happy with my stoltec spec penske and cheap front fork work. It could be better, but in my opinion, I got excellent value for money, and it is far, far, far better than stock. When the shock needs a service or the fork oil gets a bit tired, I may get the valving tweaked, but for now it is brilliant.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I really don't know much about suspension other than that the stock suspension is crap.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Penske double clicker and Andreani fork kit made all the difference on mine.
I could not find the fz09 on the Andreani web site. How did you order it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts