Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been eyeballing the BMW R1200GS for a while now, but I didn't like the feel of the oil cooled(2012 or later) bikes. They didn't have enough pull for me to consider replacing the 09. The 2015 model has a couple of tweaks(heavier drive shaft and new fueling) which made the 09 feel slow believe it or not. So I sold my 2013 VW GTI which was a car that I adored and bought a new 1200GS and I love it! I'm still dealing with possibly selling the 09...its hard because the 09 was definitely my first love. The comfort, versatility, and excitement of the Beemer is unbelievable for such a big awkward bike. It flatters in the corners and for me is much faster than the 09, and is enjoyable on highway blasts due to the comfort features(heated grips, fully electronic suspension, cruise control, and the wind protection.) I'm sad because I'm looking at options for selling the 09. (the Ninja is my wife's) IMG_1737.jpg
IMG_1745.jpg
IMG_1747.jpg
IMG_1748.jpg
IMG_1749.jpg

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. I am sure that cost a pretty penny or seven. Lol

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
BBB.....Big Bad Beamer. One of my riding buddys has a Beamer like yours and he loves it.

I see you also have an N1K. I had a red 2011 that I sold when I got the FZ09.

Perhaps this would be your solution too?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Congrats on the Beemer- hope you have many adventures with it! Seems you have to shell out more for some more farkles :D
Why not keep all 3 since selling the Ninja could land you in some trouble? ;)

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the Ninja is non negotiable since my wife needs her bike. The 09 hasn't been ridden since I got the BMW but it's all cleaned up for once and everything is lubed and it's ready to go at a moments notice! The Beemer was not cheap...but oddly enough because of its insurance group it's cheaper than my car was to insure and its monthly payment is less than my car was (and has better MPG) so overall I'm paying less per month. If I sell the 09 I can get a truck so that's also motivation, it's just hard to let go of something I've put so much work and time into. It taught me about the joys of motorcycling.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:
I Can't do it...the BMW is amazing and is a very capable bike. But the 09 is special and I love it too much. I've done a lot of work to it to make it exactly the bike that I want. I rode the FZ last night after getting my first service on the Beemer and I remembered why I bought it. The experience of sitting on the 09, its dirt bike feel with liter bike acceleration and the ability to loft the front wheel with ease is something I don't want to loose. Now the FZ can be my indulgence instead of my daily ride. I can have it in mint condition ready to ride at any time. Plus I like this community of riders a lot and I'm also not able to give that up.

Having said all that...Its much easier to lean over the BMW for some reason I think it's the suspension or maybe the height difference.

Zach

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You definitely wouldn't have been allowed to post if you sold it, so good choice :)

The riding season here is too short for me to get use out of more than one bike - at least i think so anyway - plus my wife would remove my nut in my sleep and play country music every day - with that being said - while i occasionally look for what else is out there, I can't imagine anything being better than my 09 for what i use it for. I felt that way about my SV650 but the difference was the lack of sheer ridiculousness in torque. The 09 came along and the rest was history.

Glad you're sticking with us - I look forward to reading more about your adventure travels!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You definitely wouldn't have been allowed to post if you sold it, so good choice :)

The riding season here is too short for me to get use out of more than one bike - at least i think so anyway - plus my wife would remove my nut in my sleep and play country music every day - with that being said - while i occasionally look for what else is out there, I can't imagine anything being better than my 09 for what i use it for. I felt that way about my SV650 but the difference was the lack of sheer ridiculousness in torque. The 09 came along and the rest was history.

Glad you're sticking with us - I look forward to reading more about your adventure travels!
I kept my wife quiet(for the most part, since she still thinks I should sell the 09) by the fact that I found her a killer car (2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup edition, basically a sporty diesel) and let her buy a N1k...so when It comes down to it I still have less money sunk into vehicles than she does at the time :)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I kept my wife quiet(for the most part, since she still thinks I should sell the 09) by the fact that I found her a killer car (2010 VW Jetta TDI Cup edition, basically a sporty diesel) and let her buy a N1k...so when It comes down to it I still have less money sunk into vehicles than she does at the time :)
i always say my hardest client is my wife haha

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got some protection, I almost feel like cars should avoid me now! Skid plate on the bottom and crash bars for the cylinder heads.

IMG_2232.jpg
IMG_2233.jpg
IMG_2234.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg
IMG_2231.jpg

Reactions: motorock and beck

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
^True story!

Glad you are hanging out with us. I almost got a high-sided little 2002 Nighthawk (for free) with bent forks as a fun project bike. Thankfully (to my wife), my friend (a first time woman rider) liked it enough to make it her project and has taken it. My wife was mostly concerned about the amount of parts that would be in the house- considering, we don't have our own garage! :p

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^True story!

Glad you are hanging out with us. I almost got a high-sided little 2002 Nighthawk (for free) with bent forks as a fun project bike. Thankfully (to my wife), my friend (a first time woman rider) liked it enough to make it her project and has taken it. My wife was mostly concerned about the amount of parts that would be in the house- considering, we don't have our own garage! :p
We are looking to buy our first house soon and the priorities start with big garage for that very reason. We managed to find an apartment complex that had garages because of the bikes which has been wonderful.

Great looking beemer. I'm diggin that headlight.
Thanks! The headlight is one of my favorite features even though BMW seems to like the Forest Whitaker look and that cameras can't take a good picture of the led because of some oddity with the frequency or something.

Congrats Bro. Nice ride! Most than likely my next one will be an Adventure bike.
Thanks! I got the adventure bug from Long Way Down and Long Way Round! I looked at the other options such as the Triumph Tiger and KTM adventure, the triumph didn't have the electronic goodies and has a limited dealer network(as does KTM) and the KTM didn't have the highway comfort. The telelever suspension on the BMW is amazing, it has almost no front end dive under hard breaking, it's fast, and comfortable and a pretty extensive dealer network in case I need maintenance on the road. The new tech they put in adventure bikes really do make them jack of all trades.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Update:
I Can't do it...the BMW is amazing and is a very capable bike. But the 09 is special and I love it too much. I've done a lot of work to it to make it exactly the bike that I want. I rode the FZ last night after getting my first service on the Beemer and I remembered why I bought it. The experience of sitting on the 09, its dirt bike feel with liter bike acceleration and the ability to loft the front wheel with ease is something I don't want to loose. Now the FZ can be my indulgence instead of my daily ride. I can have it in mint condition ready to ride at any time. Plus I like this community of riders a lot and I'm also not able to give that up.

Having said all that...Its much easier to lean over the BMW for some reason I think it's the suspension or maybe the height difference.

Zach
Good choice Zack.

I recently bought a Connie 14 for the longer trips and so I can take my wife along too.

And since you are gonna keep the FZ you will have to join us for the Fall classic San Diego Ride. We did one in February and it was a total gas. We had a dozen Fz09's and a couple of other bikes too.

This next one will be late September or early October. Keep an eye on the forum for updates.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good choice Zack.

I recently bought a Connie 14 for the longer trips and so I can take my wife along too.

And since you are gonna keep the FZ you will have to join us for the Fall classic San Diego Ride. We did one in February and it was a total gas. We had a dozen Fz09's and a couple of other bikes too.

This next one will be late September or early October. Keep an eye on the forum for updates.
I will definitely make it happen if I can! I'm leaving SoCal in a year and it would be really cool to see a bunch of FZs cruising around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts