Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 FZ09 is in the shop for it’s first new set of tires today. I’m one of those types that doesn’t trust a mechanic I don’t know so needless to say I’m a little apprehensive about it. It’s got 3,204 miles on the factory D214’s and the rear is just a smidge above the wear bars. My son just turned 16 so I’m not gonna be tied to my Jeep this summer and plan on riding it to work every day. I didn’t think I could go all summer on the Dunlop’s so I jumped on the $50 rebate for Michelin Road 5’s this month. The reviews seem to be pretty positive from other FZ owners and I’ve even seen a couple of R1 videos on YouTube. My question is: what should I double check when I get the bike back? Also curious how many miles you think I had left on the Dunlops? I’m an old man and there aren’t many curves around here as you can see by how bad it’s flattened in the center. I’m on 50% asphalt and 50% shitty Alabama tar and gravel.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd check your rims for any scratches, make sure your chain is lined up nice and straight. Most of these guys are riders themselves, I really hope nobody would sabotage another riders tires.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Let us know what you think of the '5s. I bet you're impressed.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Check your chain slack, alignment, and make sure the front tire was installed correctly. i.e the abs sensor on the correct side... those tires had lots of life left but, once you wear the flat spot deep into the tire they become less safe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 16 FZ09 is in the shop for it’s first new set of tires today. I’m one of those types that doesn’t trust a mechanic I don’t know so needless to say I’m a little apprehensive about it. It’s got 3,204 miles on the factory D214’s and the rear is just a smidge above the wear bars. My son just turned 16 so I’m not gonna be tied to my Jeep this summer and plan on riding it to work every day. I didn’t think I could go all summer on the Dunlop’s so I jumped on the $50 rebate for Michelin Road 5’s this month. The reviews seem to be pretty positive from other FZ owners and I’ve even seen a couple of R1 videos on YouTube. My question is: what should I double check when I get the bike back? Also curious how many miles you think I had left on the Dunlops? I’m an old man and there aren’t many curves around here as you can see by how bad it’s flattened in the center. I’m on 50% asphalt and 50% shitty Alabama tar and gravel. View attachment 158399 View attachment 158400 View attachment 158401
Take the wheels off yourself and have them mount and balance the wheels. Reassemble the bike yourself, then there is no question if it is done wrong.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Check all the bolts to make sure they're tight. I've gotten my bike back from the stealership with lose Axles an chain adjusters.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,547 Posts
I hope they took swift action to "correct" the technician once you brought it to their attention!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts