Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my ZX-6RR shock back from Traxxion Dynamics after the revalve and overhaul. They do good work at reasonable prices.

So I had a set of PR-2s mounted up and did the shock install today. All I can say is wow. The shock is a must for this bike.

This thing now rides like it is on rails. Sooooo much more planted and stable at all speeds.

And the gold body and red spring are just about a perfect color match with the rest of the bike. How cool is that?

I also got to use my sissor jack that was from my old 81 Honda accord. It really made the job much easier.

Vehicle Auto part Automotive exhaust Car Exhaust system Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Auto part Suspension part Shock absorber Auto part Suspension Motorcycle accessories Tire Automotive tire Rim Vehicle Auto part Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Rim

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you bought a used ZX 6 shock then had it overhauled. Is it fully adjustable both compression and rebound?
Yep it has 2 compression clickers for high and low. And just one clicker for rebound.

Traxxion tunes the shock on their dyno so it came back just about perfect. All I did was make a small pre load adjustment to set the sag at 30mm.

I just got back from an hour up on the mountain and the shock settings feel just about perfect. Could not be happier.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
thats very nice... now i'm tempted. I like the scissor jack rig too!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How much did all that cost if you don't mind me asking.
Shock was $100. Traxxion charged their standard re-valve and overhaul fee $225. I called Race Tech and they wanted $550 but that included a new spring.

Shipping was about $20 each way.

When Scott (Skooter65) had his done at Traxxion the tech told him that the shock performed on the dyno comparable to the high end Penske's.

Hummm lets see do I want to spend $1200 or $400 for a rear shock???????

It's a great deal. I am quite happy with it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
did you burn through your original tires already?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forget, have you done anything with the forks? Are you getting a GPR steering stabilizer?
I don't need a stabilizer but will do something with the forks.

Thinking about a set of springs from Nick and then going with heaver oil.

The stock shock is definitely the weaker link on the bike.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
did you burn through your original tires already?
1300 miles and the back was toast. The front was at around 50%

It had a lot to do with my break in riding. Up on the mountain. Very coarse pavement and very rough in places. Hard on the gas off every corner and mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear. So there was a lot of torque on that poor stock tire.

The PR2's really feel good on this bike. Don't think I will have any trouble getting 5k plus from the new set.

·
Registered
300 Posts
1300 miles and the back was toast. The front was at around 50%

It had a lot to do with my break in riding. Up on the mountain. Very coarse pavement and very rough in places. Hard on the gas off every corner and mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear. So there was a lot of torque on that poor stock tire.

The PR2's really feel good on this bike. Don't think I will have any trouble getting 5k plus from the new set.
Glad you are happy with the shock, matches the red nicely.

I've got some PR4's ready to go on, what psi you running in the PR2's?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad you are happy with the shock, matches the red nicely.

I've got some PR4's ready to go on, what psi you running in the PR2's?
Hey Versys I was up in your neck of the woods last 3 days. We flew into Payne field and hung out at the Hilton Garden Inn next to the airport. Some of the nicest Seattle weather I have seen in a while. I hope you got to do a little riding. I saw lots of bikes on the road.

I am running 40 in the rear and 36 in the front. My riding weight is 180.

Let me know how you like those PR4's. Since the 2's are going away I will most likely go with 4's next go around.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey Versys I was up in your neck of the woods last 3 days. We flew into Payne field and hung out at the Hilton Garden Inn next to the airport. Some of the nicest Seattle weather I have seen in a while. I hope you got to do a little riding. I saw lots of bikes on the road.

I am running 40 in the rear and 36 in the front. My riding weight is 180.

Let me know how you like those PR4's. Since the 2's are going away I will most likely go with 4's next go around.
Nice, glad you had some good weather here. Ya, even though the FZ is hanging up in the garage with the forks removed (getting Nicks valving and .85 kg springs), it was too nice not to get the other bikes out for a ride.

I'm 170lbs in gear, that sounds about what I was planning on going with for psi, thanks.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hey hawker...great post....I just installed my zx6rr shock today too. I have done zero search on it...can you tell me which adjusters do what? The lone screw by itself I assume is rebound...but I don't know about the nut and screw combo

Also, where did you set yours? I set everything about 75% to fully hard, as a starting point. It does seem. Bit tight...curious where you ended up.

Also, do you have any tips about how to adjust preload with the shock installed?

Lastly, did you do anything with your ground wire...mine was kind of pulled tight by the reservoir...I loosened, swiveled, ns tightened it...but it still touches the shock...curious if you had the same issue

·
Registered
182 Posts
Got my ZX-6RR shock back from Traxxion Dynamics after the revalve and overhaul. They do good work at reasonable prices.

So I had a set of PR-2s mounted up and did the shock install today. All I can say is wow. The shock is a must for this bike.

This thing now rides like it is on rails. Sooooo much more planted and stable at all speeds.

And the gold body and red spring are just about a perfect color match with the rest of the bike. How cool is that?

I also got to use my sissor jack that was from my old 81 Honda accord. It really made the job much easier.
What did that shock look like before you sent it out? I'm looking at one for ~$60 that has about 30k miles on it. Does it matter what shape the shock is in before they get it?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Hey hawker...great post....I just installed my zx6rr shock today too. I have done zero search on it...can you tell me which adjusters do what? The lone screw by itself I assume is rebound...but I don't know about the nut and screw combo

Also, where did you set yours? I set everything about 75% to fully hard, as a starting point. It does seem. Bit tight...curious where you ended up.

Also, do you have any tips about how to adjust preload with the shock installed?

Lastly, did you do anything with your ground wire...mine was kind of pulled tight by the reservoir...I loosened, swiveled, ns tightened it...but it still touches the shock...curious if you had the same issue
Hex is High Speed and middle is Low speed. If you're not sure... better to start on the soft side and add in than the other way around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What did that shock look like before you sent it out? I'm looking at one for ~$60 that has about 30k miles on it. Does it matter what shape the shock is in before they get it?
My shock looked to be in pretty good shape. I wanted to go with the revalve and overhaul to have a fresh shock. I had no idea how many miles were on it.

Condition prior to overhaul should not be a problem unless you have a bent shaft. You can call Traxxion to have questions answered before you ship it off. They are friendly and provide good customer service.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts