Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the section for you to tell us all about the ride that you are planning, or just got though with.

I would like to make sure that we have some basic info include in all of these threads.

Date: When did you ride, or are planning the ride.

Where: Where were you at?

How was it: Yeah, how was it? Be sure to include what you were riding. Your new bike, or an oldie? We want to know how awesome your ride was.

·
Registered
136 Posts
2nd ride

This is the section for you to tell us all about the ride that you are planning, or just got though with.

I would like to make sure that we have some basic info include in all of these threads.

Date: When did you ride, or are planning the ride.

Where: Where were you at?

How was it: Yeah, how was it? Be sure to include what you were riding. Your new bike, or an oldie? We want to know how awesome your ride was.
Rode new FZ09 home from dealer So much fun, I took the scenic route. Total of 45 miles.
At home, checked tire pressure. It was a ridiculous 48 rear, 42 front. Chain was also too tight. Called dealer and had them check other Yamaha sportbikes and was told they were ALL very tight. Also that mechanics never check chain on a brand new one as that's the way they come from the factory (!)
I am dubious about chains that are adjusted from the factory with a deflection of about 1/2", but no slack at all. If anyone can shed light on this, I'd like to know. Perhaps the chain will stretch within 100 miles or so to have some "slack".
Anyway, for 2nd ride, I adjusted tire pressure to 34 front, 34 rear. MUCH better. Rode 47 miles on back road twisties. Chicken strips all gone, traction with stock Dunlops seemed adequate. Power: Strong, but maybe not quite as strong as my slightly modified 1200 Bandit, but decidedly quicker, more precise handling.
I have NO problem with the seat, at least not on a this ride.
LOVE IT so far!

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
No Chain Slack also = Neuters your rear suspension, rendering it pretty much non-functional.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thought my chain was To tight as well, but with so little slack recommended in the manual, I left it thinking it would loosen up To spec after a couple of rides.
Now that I have a few hundred miles on the odometer, thought it would be a good time check, still felt tight. Loosened both sides by half a turn and ended with a .60 inch reading. Satisfied for now but wish I has loosened it sooner.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts