Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Proud owner of Blazing Orange #402.

Stock FZ09.jpg

In 3 months with my car and trailer towing it every where to ride all kinds of roads here and North Pennsylvania 2 trips so far 2 more scheduled)): 8000 kilometers (5000 miles) I scrimped and saved since september last year to make it happen! My first real new bike , first sport as I grew up on dirt bikes (Honda XR80, XL200). I've owned a Yamaha XT225 and WR450 (similar insanity levels as the FZ09!)

I've been reading these boards almost religiously since January when I first saw the beast at the motorcycle show. You guys are amazing and so helpful!
I've been reading about all the modifications and had so much to say I kept putting off posting.

Anyway about my bike. I absolutely love it so much!!!
The power and now the sound (M4 installed last week!) and pure visceral anger and soul of this bike always make me go wow! and smile!!!!;)

This pic was taken this weekend up around Rousseau (great riding roads there!!!)
FZ 09  July 2014.jpg

Here are the modifications I have made more or less in order:

1. Front blinkers then rear. I'm not happy with the rear as they aren't visible enough , I want to go with integrated tail light. I had ordered one but it came with just a circuit board and needed me to cook the light etc. I sent it back!

2. SEAT: First order of business was the seat which was too hard for my butt! I ordered the Yamaha "Comfort" seat and was ok with it for a while. Then I wanted better so I brought the comfort seat to a local car upholsterer who recovered a seat for my last bike 2003 BMW Dakar. The seat returned was definately better, he had put in 1/2 inch of foam everywhere (as my gf rides on the back regularly!) . After awhile I wanted more so I ordered gel, that didn't work well and ruined the smooth seat. So i returned to 1/2 inch foam addition and am 80% satisfied. It's still a little hard

3. Barkbusters: Coming from the Dakar, I wanted hand protectors for the cold and wind. The problem has been the vibration once end weights are removed. I am trying silicone next week. I had ordered the barsnake but it won't fit right and drilling 3 holes under the bars (suggested by Barsnake) is a no go.

4. Tail Tidy: Graves Motorsports really helped looks of bike. But mud flies up a lot...does anyone know of a fender wheel hugger extender?

5. Front sliders : OES to protect if bike falls and feet up on boring highway

6. Windshield: I ordered the Madstad Engineering one I installed it and hated the huge disfiguring metal probosis. I took it all off, I have tall and flyscreen and full mounting if anyone wants it: $200

7. CCt I will have my trusty non Yamaha mechanic install Fizzer kit as he is great at those.

8. Yamaha vent mesh inserts and IP rad guard (these were first mods)

9. Rear tire was toast at 6000Km so i installed a Michelin Pilot Road 4 and love it!!!!

Future mods : Reflash of some sort (winter) and Stoltec Suspension.
Maybe tail bag. I am in dire need of anew jacket first and helmet tbh...the FZ-09 sucked up all my money but all worth it as this is my first real bike.

I can't wait to hear from you and will post my adventures and mods/challenges.
Would love to organize a local Toronto ride /Meet.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Welcome to the FZ-09 Addiction.

Great bike....sorry you returned the LED board for the rear light. It was a great deal. I'm far from mechanical but was able to bake my rear light for ten min after turning oven off and split it to install the board -- If I can do it anyone can do it.....You might want to check out the OES website. Slider kits that really work when under the gun...see recent thread about them.

Enjoy the best forum around :cool:

Reactions: Horsman

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome aboard riplee and happy that you started posting. That's a very nice list of mods for a start. They are great bikes eh!

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
Welcome!

There are a number of companies offering integrated tail lights that are plug and play (no baking).
CustomLED, Lupus Lights, and MotoDynamics (is releasing one in the near future).

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I do have the OES Sliders! Love them!!!!
Check out the OES Website. They offer more than just the front. Packages to meet everyone's needs.

I bought the complete set for $129 and have No regrets.

Have you ordered the Newest Darkside FZ-09 tee shirt yet...??? The last order closes out this week or next - check out the Darkside Thread. It's our Club uniform:cool:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This may be a stupid question but how do i put a pic on my bio here! help!
There are no stupid questions here, my friend. Go to settings in the top right header, click and then scroll down to 'Edit Avatar', choose your photo. That's it, easy peasy...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
There are no stupid questions here, my friend. Go to settings in the top right header, click and then scroll down to 'Edit Avatar', choose your photo. That's it, easy peasy...
Actually, the only stupid question here might be something like: How can I change my (slow) liquid graphite color into the (Faster) Blazing Orange or the (Fastest) Rapid Red Color...????

We'd have to agree....STUPID:)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
A much more relevant question would be to ask how it's possible for the Tepid Red to be sooo much slower than the Graphite models and also why anyone would tolerate the speed differential without utter shame and embarrassment?

The Tepid Red Fan Club Gets Together...LMAO
image.jpg

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome riplee! :) The mods are never finished... I stuck with the stock tail but changed over to leds to trim the look a bit... too much mud and manure out in the counties!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Welcome to the Machine! ;)
We stand with you... smiling about this bike. Truly a fun-meister.
The ECU flash is worth it!
Enjoy the ride, brother.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Do you have put silicone in your handlebars, i want to do it, how it work?

·
Registered
262 Posts
What dont work with barsnake?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts