Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a lightly-used 2014 this morning. My friend yamahamer recommended that I sign up for the forum.

About me: middle-aged, married, one child. Been riding for 15 years, started on cruisers (Shadow 600, Shadow 1100, VTX1800), then switched to a Super Tenere, an ST1300, and a couple of dual-sports. I tried the NC700X also, but couldn't get used to low power. I guess you could say that I've been sampling the moto gene pool for the last two years. I'm going to need a larger touring bike soon to accompany the FZ ... my wife took one look at the FZ and said, "I'm not getting on that!" :nono:

I really enjoy sport touring and twisty roads the most, so I'll keep the large windscreen on this one for a while. I do all my own maintenance and modifications, so I'll be pouring over the accumulated learning on this site, and maybe one day contributing something useful in return. My other hobby is photography, usually taking pictures of motorcycles and other riders. I do a little video editing and compiling also. My current equipment is a Nikon D5100 and a Drift HD Ghost.

I guess that's it for now ... hope to meet some of you soon!

Glenn

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Welcome and enjoy.
I like the ATV seat pad.

~Don't forget to mark your approximate location on the Member Map.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome to the dark side Glenn, you are going to love it!

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Hello Glenn, and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the getting the FZ09. I've got an ST1300 and I love that bike. My wife Peggy rides her own bike (FZ07), but we enjoy getting on the ST1300 and riding two up also, especially for some of the longer rides. Don't get me wrong, the FZ's have been down to GA. and N.C. many times and a 250 to 300 mile day ride isn't uncommon for us, but sometimes the ST and a bit of a more "relaxed" pace fits the bill also. It's always good to have choices for sure. What part of N. AL are you located in? We are in Maryville, TN, just south of the Knoxville area. Good to have you aboard sir.

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hi and welcome Glenn, I'm in Huntsville. I joined the forum thinking my bike had arrived at the dealer, but alas my ship had not come in.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did you get your bike recently? I just made the trip up to birmingham this last weekend to pick mine up. Haven't even been able to ride it yet. Waiting on the headlight and ecu fixes..

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Welcome Glenn and congrats on your new toy! So, what did your wife not like about riding on the FZ?

I sold my barely ridden NC700X to buy the FZ9 for the same reason. It was incredibly under power and really boring. The Yamaha is a huge improvement in every area. The craziest part is prices of both bikes new was almost the same! I lost some bucks on the Honda, but owning it helped me love the FZ that much more.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I'll try to answer the questions. I live in Cullman County. Sold the ST1300 to get the NC700, hated the NC, so I traded with a guy from Georgia that found me on ADVRider. Traded the morning before I signed up on the forum.

My wife wants me to get another touring bike. She rode a VFR800 with me once, but I don't think that will happen again. I made the bike sound like a turbine and made her sound like a klaxon siren. She doesn't like the small seating for the passenger or the lack of saddlebags/weight/cappacuino machine. I guess she feels that heavier bikes are more stable, but I think it's just more weight to press you against the pavement if you crash. I guess she would be happier if I got an Ultra Classic, but that'll have to wait (until I hit the lottery).

I'm holding off on mods while I try to lose some weight (225 down to 190 --- I've lost 9 so far). I've also been eyeing the Versys 1000. When I get to 190, I'll decide whether to modify the FZ or get the V1K to appease the wife. Maybe I'll keep the FZ AND get a V1K. We'll see.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Did you get your bike recently? I just made the trip up to birmingham this last weekend to pick mine up. Haven't even been able to ride it yet. Waiting on the headlight and ecu fixes..
What is the headlight fix?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hey gharshman, were you northbound on Hwy 31 on the 7th? Did you have your bike on a trailer? If so I was the retard on the yellow FZ.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey gharshman, were you northbound on Hwy 31 on the 7th? Did you have your bike on a trailer? If so I was the retard on the yellow FZ.
Yup, that was me. Took it to the courthouse to get it titled and registered. That was cool, 'cause I had not seen the yellow ones yet!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts