Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new member ,just got my FZ 09 yesterday ,put a 30 mile run on her,, I am from the old school of break them in hard,, so during the run I never held one constant rpm ,ran it for the most part ,up an down below 5000 rpms, like Yamaha recommends ,but as I believe the first 20 miles is the most IMPORTANT on the rings, i also briefly ran it up to 10,000,, first 15 min of riding was below 4800,,next 15 min, 6000 max, next 15 min of riding was 8000 max rpm,, finishing of at 10,500 rpm max.
these were very short run ups, an then motor engine breaking back down to below 4000 rpm,. what do you guys think of this break in style?:confused:

·
Registered
673 Posts
No problems with your break-in style IMO. I've always been told by mechanics that canyons or race track are best for break-in, but there are MANY opinions on the subject.

My take- break it in riding it exactly how you would under normal operation, change the oil early for the first couple thousand miles, and per the guidance of Dave at Redline Oil, he recommends waiting until 1500-2000 miles for the rings to fully seat before switching to their product. I waited until 3K miles to switch and I feel the motor gets a little livelier each day.

Congrats on the new bike!

Reactions: kendawg

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Always a heated topic. The manual is going to always print something safe for litigation, but I do what you did (Motoman method) and have since I was a kid breaking-in motocross racers. I do recommend changing the oil after the very first run with Yamalube. I changed mine three times with Yamalube before 600 miles, then went to synthetic. My motor is crisp, no smoke, and quiet.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Sounds good to me, but my only word of advise is start it up, get the rest of your gear on (letting the bike warm up) then have fun. I cringe every time I hear any bike start and two seconds later the guy is ripping off down the street at high rev's on a cold bike.........

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rocky_MTN_FZ09
Sounds good to me, but my only word of advise is start it up, get the rest of your gear on (letting the bike warm up) then have fun. I cringe every time I hear any bike start and two seconds later the guy is ripping off down the street at high rev's on a cold bike.........

NEVER do I run hard on a cold motor :)

DNFDOUG

Always a heated topic. The manual is going to always print something safe for litigation, but I do what you did (Motoman method) and have since I was a kid breaking-in motocross racers. I do recommend changing the oil after the very first run with Yamalube. I changed mine three times with Yamalube before 600 miles, then went to synthetic. My motor is crisp, no smoke, and quiet.

Thank you,I agree motoman method :cool:

fiddyone

Break in over.

Ride how you want.

thank you

DTM74

Sounds good to me. Congrats and welcome. :)
GhengisT

No problems with your break-in style IMO. I've always been told by mechanics that canyons or race track are best for break-in, but there are MANY opinions on the subject.

My take- break it in riding it exactly how you would under normal operation, change the oil early for the first couple thousand miles, and per the guidance of Dave at Redline Oil, he recommends waiting until 1500-2000 miles for the rings to fully seat before switching to their product. I waited until 3K miles to switch and I feel the motor gets a little livelier each day.

Congrats on the new bike!

Thanks all, just put 30 more miles on her ,had to out run the storms back to the house

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your choice! I'm with you - my understanding is that all modern motors are ready to go from day 1 - so the break-in period is a bit old-hat in my book - so go for it! Great to have you with us! Cheers

·
Registered
355 Posts
My sister used to make me cringe.

Way back in the day she had a Honda SL-70, which she would crank up on a cold day then immediately head down the street WFO in 2nd gear.

Apparently SL-70s are immortal.

1972_Honda_SL70_K0_Aquarius_Blue5.jpg

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I won't let my truck warm up at all unless it's below 25F (runs 0w-20). If it's over 55F out, I won't let my bikes warm up at all either (maybe 15 seconds) but I also take it easy until water temps hit 140ish. Under 55F out I let the water temp hit 100 before getting on, then take it easy until 140. Ideally you want the oil to warm up before running it hard but the FZ doesn't have an oil temp gauge.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
As soon as I start my bike, the only thing special I do is pull the clutch in and slightly burp the throttle...which breaks loose the clutch plates. That way it "clicks" into first gear rather than bangs into first. And I ride easy until the engine is warmed up.

But, back on topic...I think its important to use non-synthetic oil for the first 1K to 2K miles. I've read too many stories of people using synthetic oil too soon and having an oil consumption problem.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've always been one to start my bike, then put my gear on. The Fizzer09 got that treatment for the first 4500 miles.. then I installed an exhaust and took out the baffle :headbang:

Now, I put my gear on and already rolling down my driveway when I start the bike. She gets a light load as I putter off down the street.

I do have some respect for my neighbors lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
Cool thread - lots of useful information. Thanks guys. I just picked my bike up yesterday as well and doing a similar break in style to the original poster. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts