Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sold my Honda NC700X and picked up my new 2015 Matte Gray FZ-09. Test road it 4 miles and they just delivered it to my house this evening. Tomorrow should be mucho fun! The Honda was excrutiatingly boring for me and I thought this would do the trick to fix that. I'm 65 years old and have been riding since age 15 or so, minus about a 25 year hiatus. In order, I've had the following bikes:

1. Honda 90cc (single) good, safe bike for young teen
2. Royal Enfield Interceptor 750cc (twin) wide-open reckless phase
3. Honda Super Hawk 305cc (twin) couldn't keep up with the big boys
4. Triumph Bonneville 650cc (twin) adequate, but shakey
5. Harley Sportster 900cc (v-twin) really shakey
6. Norton P11 Scramber 750cc (twin) great bike for a 22 year old
7. Ariel Square Four 1000cc (quad) novelty and good investment return
8. Yamaha Cafe Style 650cc (twin) fun in the California hills, but constant nut tightening
- 25 years off-
9. Honda Nighthawk 750cc (twin) fine until I road the Beemer
10. BMW R1100S 1100cc (boxer twin) really fun, but too easy to drop at low speeds, terrible center of gravity with all that cylinder weight on each side, great at higher speeds
11. Triumph Tiger 1050cc (triple) excellent bike, only to be surpassed by the FZ
12. Honda NC700X 760cc (twin) Boring, boring, boring. 51 horsepower for 525 lbs, come-on????
13. Today ----- Yamaha FZ-09 880cc (triple) granted, not 300hp, but I think it'll do.

Besides all of the other obvious reasons for buying the FZ09 was that I really missed have a triple. I did love that Triumph engine.

So, hello again to all. I've been a member for a spell, but just became an owner. Very exciting time for me and looking forward to the rides. Also, I'd like to thank everyone for helping me make this excellent choice. I've read most of your blogs and had many questions answered. My bike was the only 9 for this dealership until spring of 2015. I also looked at a sold yellow model at another dealer and was surprised at how nice that color works. I missed getting liquid graphite, but will have much less of the cosmetic perfection maintenance with the matte finish.

Cheers all and I look forward to sharing posts down the road.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Welcome to your new addiction.

May I ask, if you liked the yellow, why'd you buy the Matte Gray....???

Either way you'll certainly Love this Bike!

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcomes.

Not from down south. I would call Wisconsin north and, other than a few years in Florida (Navy) and California (college), I've always lived up NORT.

I bought the gray versus yellow because it was the only new FZ-09 for sale. The yellow was sold on a pre-order. Probably the way the rest of them will go.

The wheels are matte black and no thanks on the trade.

From a color choice standpoint, I love the liquid graphite, burple wheel combo, love the orange and really like the yellow. However, cosmetic maintenance on the matte gray will be cleaning only. The owners manual even says not to wax the matte finish. Matte black is an excellent wheel color for not showing off the oil fling from the chain. I'll still clean it up frequently, but it will never show like it would on a lighter or brighter color. I didn't think I'd care for it in Matte Gray, but in real life I think it looks great. The entire bike is so impressive looking, that the gray just fits right in.

The only problem I have is the season. Below freezing tonight with the trend to keep getting colder for the next several months.

I just ordered a Stebel air horn, Kaoko cruise control and fabbed the hanger bracket under the seat for the helmet lock. Thanks for that. Not enough riding time to pull the trigger on a different seat or a screen. My short rides have been very comfortable as is. I know from experience, no screen can eliminate the wind. Different sizes and shapes just move it around from where it was. Up to freeway speeds, I'm not getting that much torso pressure and for the occasional times I do go fast, I'll just hunker down and deal with it. Adding a screen will most likely put all that turbulence around my helmet on a full time basis. Naked seems to be very comfortable and quiet by comparison and I'd just as soon keep it that way.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I feel pretty much the same way about the screen. I like the wind. But I'm not on my FZ to go 1k miles on a single trip. I find that unless I'm riding into a strong headwind, up about 75 mph things are fine on the highway for an hour or so. If my "air speed" gets above 90 though, its a bit rough.

Also in WI (Racine) and lamenting the impending end to riding season. Just picked up a Triumph Speedmaster to scratch my "cruiser itch" and just had the 500 mile service on it. Spring can't get here soon enough!

JW

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, Southern Wisconsin it is. West Bend to be more specific. Not as short of a season as Northern WI, but close.

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
Welcome. I too owned a Tiger 1050, sold it for the FZ. Loved that 1050 motor. The FZ is a much better fit for my needs.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new FZ.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congrats on the new bike Tigershark. As so many here will attest, you're in for a heck of a fun ride! I just lost my liquid graphite to a deer and was hoping to find another. The local dealer has a Matte Gray, not the Matte Silver, but I really like the blurple wheels. Seems there might be a solution available. hmmmmmmm....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the best forum for the best bike. my FZ09 is so versatile.
I basically rode it like I stole it in Pennsylvania last weekend in 20 Celsius weather (68 f) , giving my cousin on his Ducati Streetfighter 1050 a good run for its money and it's been carrying my computer bag (spider net) to school in the c,old dark 7degree mornings (42 f).

Someone asked me last week if it was annoying to wear layers to ride. I answered its annoying to take the TTC ( our excuse for poor transit --> worse transit!)
This bike is soon fun and a beast I grin when I ride it always.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Welcome Tigershark, from one oldster to another. I'm 54, stay at home dad to a 5 year old. L-4, 5 & S1 fused. Bad left knee, right hand missing outside muscle, etc. It just goes on and on. Hadn't ridden in over 20 years when i got back into bikes. Sold my Versys (paint shaker) to buy this bike. 6th bike in the last 5 years, and counting. Actually, the younger wife has said enough. I know when to listen (no FJ-09). Hope the winter isn't too harsh on ya so you can ride at least some of the time. It's been raining here in Seattle way too much, and I'm a fair weather rider. Cheers and enjoy, G.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope. Bought it from Port Yamaha in Port Washtub. They even delivered it to my door, since I didn't have a timely pickup date available. The owner, Mike, is a great guy. Fuel had one sold already yellow model, so I wasn't able to test ride and had to deposit site unseen to get one from them. Not their fault, but one just came in at Port and I grabbed it after my short test ride. The surprise wheelie in first gear on my test ride blew my mind. Instant purchase was a no brainer.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks again for the welcome from one and all.

Hello to Random Lake. Watch out for those deer.

KenM647, do you live around Wisconsin? If so, I just passed on a nice 2014 Liquid Graphite with 1200 miles. It may still be available if you're interested. Just go to Craigslist for Appleton, WI and search for Yamaha FZ. The seller lives in Kimberly, WI. Otherwise, back on the first page of this thread, I was offered a trade of my black wheels for a set of Burples.

Versys8, surprisingly my age had a lot to do my choice. It was the 414lbs wet that I was after. As much as I loved the Tiger, it was 100lbs heavier and taller which made it a lot tippier for me. The FZ09 just has it all in my book.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts