Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

New Owner in SW VA and GA

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Thantos 
#1 ·
Hello Guys,

Long time lurker, newish owner, hopeful contributor. I live in Southwest Virginia, Blacksburg/Virginia Tech to be specific, but I travel all over the east coast for work. Currently I'm spending 2 to 3 weeks a month in Atlanta for work.

This is my long and not very interesting decades long journey into being a motorcycle owner. Feel free to skip.

I have wanted a motorcycle as long as I can remember. In high school my parents forbid me from getting one, even though my dad and grandfather were both avid riders in their past. In college I raced and worked on cars which took all free time and cash. Skip forward 15 years and I'm finally in a position where I don't listen to the people telling me not to buy a motorcycle, that I don't know how to ride, that I'll wreck and die etc.

About 10 years ago I was very close to buying an R1, as it seemed like the thing to have. In my research, I came to the conclusion that instead of a full fairing bike I wanted a naked bike. I can site two different magazine articles that pushed me to that decision, one was about how some Ducati was trying to be the best all around motorcycle and an Aprilla Turno beat it and everything else in real world driving, and the 2nd was a guy taking a Z1000 to the Nurberg Ring. Those two instantly became my front runner choices for the following decade. My want waxed and wained for many years. Last year I was standing in an airport in Western Canada on vacation and I saw on the cover of a magazine a Yamaha FZ-09, this was a preproduction test and I knew in that moment I had finally found the motorcycle I had to have.

After a summer trip to Europe my want/need for the 09 was rekindled. I started visiting all the local dealerships and reading this forum. Had I had to deal with the dealership I may still not have 09. Luckily I was headed to Pittsburgh for work and happened to search Craigslist for 09s. I found one just outside Pitt that seemed perfect. 2500 miles, full suspension already upgraded, brake lines, comfort seat, never wrecked/dropped all for $6500. Seemed too good to be true. I called, arranged a meet up. The owner was a guy who said no matter what he did the 09 hurt his back/balls. He swapped seats/suspension in effort to help back pain, and was now giving up so he would have time to sell and get something new to finish the summer with. He was a solid guy, money and paperwork exchanged hands and I'm now the owner of a Blaze Orange 09. Not my ideal color, but I won't lie, I don't love any of the US colors. I'd like one of those Matte Gray Euro tanks. Seemed like a great deal and I couldn't be happier.

I don't know any motorcycle people, so the learning curve has been a challenge. I bought gear and signed up and completed a few classes. I know the 09 isn't a beginner's bike, but I also know I'd never buy or be happy with a beginners bike. For the first few months I rode exclusively in B mode, mostly around my neighborhood.

Anyway, enough rambling. I enjoy this forum and look forward to being an active participant.

Safe Travels
T.J. Thompson

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. Great deal on your new FZ. Great move. Practice, practice, practice, lol. It's a Great Bike and a Better Forum!

Looking forward to hearing more about your impressions on the FZ.:eek:ccasion6:

#3 ·
T.J., Aloha and welcome to the forum. You made a great choice in your first bike, and that's a great deal. You've done the right thing by taking classes and riding geared up. There are many who will tell you that this is not a good bike to learn on, and while I do agree, at least you are intelligent enough to know that as a new rider on a powerful bike like this, you will have limitations and a learning curve. Riding classes are a great foundation on which to establish and build your skill level.

I too was denied a bike from when I was 9 until I moved out at 18-when I promptly took the money I had saved and bought my first bike. Since you've waited so long to finally pull the trigger and reward yourself, you picked a great bike. Don't over ride your abilities until you get used to it, and never be in a hurry to learn it all-this is a lifetime passion and addiction for many of us, and it sounds like yours as well. Ride safely...:eagerness:

#4 · (Edited)
Hi there . Anything I tell you to do is terribly wrong. Like , take it up to 25 in first , hold it steady then gently turn your wrist while gripping the tank with your knees and be sure to always cover the rear brake with that right foot during this activity. Have a great day.
Just read post above and have to ask this , did you go to bike shows every year looking at the newest models and walk into the local Yamaha dealer watching the sales? I will never forget the first day I owned a motorcycle. The man that went with me to pick it up , cause I had no riding experience , with his van died last week. I rode the fz-09 to the funeral home to say good-bye.

#5 ·
You made a great choice and got a great deal on a great bike. I have had many bikes over many years and I love my FZ09. Congratulations and welcome to the fold. I agree it is not a beginners bike but it sounds like you are handling it right with B mode. Mine is Graphite with Blurple wheels. I know some guys don't like it but as time goes on I like it more and more. We like pictures so be sure and post some. Like this. Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire

#6 ·
You made a great choice and got a great deal on a great bike. I have had many bikes over many years and I love my FZ09. Congratulations and welcome to the fold. I agree it is not a beginners bike but it sounds like you are handling it right with B mode. Mine is Graphite with Blurple wheels. I know some guys don't like it but as time goes on I like it more and more. We like pictures so be sure and post some. Like this. View attachment 9193
THAT is truly a thing of beauty! Love the Graphite and Yamaha Blue wheels...

#10 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I can tell you, the past few months have been great. I don't know how I held out this long, but I now find every reason to go out on it. Work travel makes it hard, but I've been getting my time in. This weekend I finally got the tail section cleaned up. Here's a shot. Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle

#11 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I can tell you, the past few months have been great. I don't know how I held out this long, but I now find every reason to go out on it. Work travel makes it hard, but I've been getting my time in. This weekend I finally got the tail section cleaned up. Here's a shot. View attachment 9196
Nice job!

Those pumpkins up front gotta go too, lol. It's a process.....

#13 ·
I can think of a Better way, but she's got to cooperate.....!!!!!:smileinbox:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.