Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

I really liked the SP version of the 2021 but I'd have to wait god knows how long AND pay an additional $2k OTD - not worth it for me. Of the non-SP versions, the Raven Black is my favorite and my nearest dealer had multiple deposits on everything EXCEPT the Raven Black. I was extremely lucky to have stopped by the dealership the day before the bike arrived. As of today, they now have one deposit on a black bike too - a customer wanted to buy my bike but was told it was only available if I didn't buy it first.

The buying experience was trouble-free. Initially, they said the couldn't negotiate on their high add-on fees, but when pushed they came down three times. I also demanded what I paid four years ago for my 2015 FZ-07 ($5k) on trade-in and they agreed to that too. I was very surprised - I didn't think I'd be able to find a gen-3 MT-09 and work out a deal until next year. The finance guy (who gets a commission from the add-ons he sells) had a chart showing me the first six service appointments add up to $5,300 (same for every bike they sell, even the Ducati's - give me a break) but he could sell them to me in advance for ONLY $3,600! Then he dropped it to $1,500 and I still passed. At the very end, he made one last try for $750 and I still passed - I do all my own work unless it's for warranty. I skipped the 4-year extended warranty and the wheel-tire warranty and all the other add-ons too. Not a good transaction for him but I've worked for three dealerships myself way back when.

Has anyone else had any issues with a 2021? First, my unit is #00598 mfr'd in 11/20, so it's already 11-months old. WTF? Next, with only 1 mile on the odometer, the brakes on my bike were REALLY scary during the initial test-drive. Now that it has 50 miles on it to bed the pads, the brakes are excellent. From the very first test-drive, I also noticed mild clutch judder during take offs (someone posted that a dealership mechanic found partially dry clutch disks needing to be soaked in oil to cure that) but the judder has gradually diminished over 50 miles and it's almost gone now. Has anyone else found the same?

The front brake reservoir will get a black "brake sock" anyway so it won't matter that it looks cheaper than the SP's brake reservoir. I'd love to have Blurple wheels again (if anyone near Atlanta with Blurple wheels wants Black wheels, let me know!) so I'll put Blurple rim stripes (arriving in a few days) on my black wheels. I think the black/dark-gray tank cowl graphics are too muted so I plan to buy the blue decals used on the blue version ($13 each, left & right).

·
Registered
58 Posts
My clutch is awful too when the engine is cold, completely fine once warmed through. I could warm it up on the driveway before riding away but then you might encounter the cam chain rattle. I'm not one for letting a modern bike idle to warm up anyway, just ride it sensibly until up to temp. I just live with it, pulling away from the driveway the clutch is grabby and juddery but then the next pull off at the end of the street is much better then the 3rd pull off its completely fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll look for you on Blood, I have the grey one and a friend that lives in Blairsville has the SP and then a female up in Murphy has a black one. We are all older folks but look out for the SP rider! He is very very fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts