Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, long time Yamaha fan here, Got my daughter started on a Honda Grom this year and she grew out of it after 10 months, so got her a MT-03 (Pic included - a great starter bike) had to drive Vegas yikes, none locally. Was looking to get a naked bike for myself, checked out the reviews on the MT-09, loved it. Went to the local dealer they had the SP as much as I loved it had to find a non-SP as I wanted the matt black. I had to drive to Santa Barbara about 200 miles North. I ll be selling my 2009 Vmax now... 1700 miles on it (if you guys know anyone I attached a pic).

I have a question please I know the frame and swingarm changed on the 2021, do you guys know if the Ohlin's shock for 2020 model fits the 2021? I wanna get the shock, but do not want the gold, want it in black. Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks in advance folks ,

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got the same bike yesterday. That is a NICE trailer! My nearest dealer had multiple deposits on everything except the Raven black. Personally, I think the SP is gorgeous but I'd have to wait god knows how long and pay an additional $2k OTD - not worth it. Of the non-SP versions, the Raven black is my favorite so I was extremely lucky to stop in the day before the bike arrived. As of today, they now have one deposit on a black bike too - a customer wanted to buy my bike but was told it was only available if I didn't buy it first.

Did you have any issues with your unit? With only 1 mile on the odometer, the brakes on my bike were REALLY scary during the initial test-drive. Now that it has 50 miles on it to bed the pads, the brakes are excellent. From the very first test-drive, I also noticed mild clutch judder during take offs (someone posted that a dealership mechanic found partially dry clutch disks needing to be soaked in oil to cure that) but the judder has gradually diminished over 50 miles and it's almost gone now. Have you found the same?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had no issues with clutch but it would not surprise me. Clutch pads are like break pads with tge pressure plates being like discs. They need a break in period. As for the brakes being new its more the rotors and not so much the pads. Glad the bike is working out for you. 👍👍

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a question please I know the frame and swingarm changed on the 2021, do you guys know if the Ohlin's shock for 2020 model fits the 2021? I wanna get the shock, but do not want the gold, want it in black. Any words of wisdom?
No, previous gen shocks won't fit the 21. Bottom mount is now an eyelet, previous bikes use a clevis.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,089 Posts
Oh OK thank you, I guess I will have to wait until a black version of the Ohlins is available.
I would think it should be soon. They already show a fork cartridge kit for the ‘21…

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think it should be soon. They already show a fork cartridge kit for the ‘21…

Really they have the four cartridge for 2021? Would you be able to send the link to that please

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
☝😳

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another SD rider here waiting on my 21 SP to arrive! Maybe we'll see each other on the road sometime! Enjoy your bike and be safe out there! Low-sided my other bike cause of all the construction on the 5 lately. I was going up an on-ramp and hit a patch of sand from the construction in the 270 degree corner coming off Manchester to the 5. Luckily I'm all good except for my gear/ fairings. Stay safe!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another SD rider here waiting on my 21 SP to arrive! Maybe we'll see each other on the road sometime! Enjoy your bike and be safe out there! Low-sided my other bike cause of all the construction on the 5 lately. I was going up an on-ramp and hit a patch of sand from the construction in the 270 degree corner coming off Manchester to the 5. Luckily I'm all good except for my gear/ fairings. Stay safe!
Sorry to hear my friend, glad you are OK

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
The TZR250 is even sweeter!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
No, previous gen shocks won't fit the 21. Bottom mount is now an eyelet, previous bikes use a clevis.
Just thinking...a person could just switch the clevis for the eyelet if they are the same length and shaft size.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys yes its hard to sell bikes they are like your kids, hard to part with.

these two bikes are the opposite extremes, one is 585lbs1700cc 200HP and the other is 280lbs tank empty 250cc and 74HP.

The TZR250 is even sweeter!
Just thinking...a person could just switch the clevis for the eyelet if they are the same length and shaft size.
Are they the same length tho?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I ll wait to hear from someone who has done the mod. I am never a good leader LOL, always a great follower

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh OK thank you, I guess I will have to wait until a black version of the Ohlins is available.
I have a 2017 and I just replaced my suspension, new fork cartridges and rear shock with remote reservoir, with Nitron products. And you can pick between two colors for your spring color, black or the Nitron aquamarine.
Install and setup was done by Mauro at MD Performance Tuning off Miramar Road. He also recently acquired a dyno, so you can take horsepower runs there as well. I'm about 800 mi into the new suspension and to say that I like it is a gross understatement. I feel that was the only weak point with that bike as Yamaha hit every mark except they had to go cheap on the suspension to bring it in at that price point. Good Luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for sharing the information, much appreciated. Will pay those guys a visit. Will have to wait for a 2021 rear shock alternative. I just do not want the gold Ohlins

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks guys yes its hard to sell bikes they are like your kids, hard to part with.

these two bikes are the opposite extremes, one is 585lbs1700cc 200HP and the other is 280lbs tank empty 250cc and 74HP.

Are they the same length tho?
74 HP and 280 LB sound real fun

1 - 20 of 21 Posts