Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proud new owner of an FZ-09! I've been following this forum for the past several weeks and have a question. How long are those of you doing the MotoMan break in mile wise? After said mileage, are you then just riding the bike as you see fit? I put only 21 miles on it after leaving the dealer. Thank you all in advance for your opinions/experiences.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Supposedly, the first 20 or so miles are the most important. I've got around 300 on mine, and have already begun gradually transitioning back to normal riding.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Proud new owner of an FZ-09! I've been following this forum for the past several weeks and have a question. How long are those of you doing the MotoMan break in mile wise? After said mileage, are you then just riding the bike as you see fit? I put only 21 miles on it after leaving the dealer. Thank you all in advance for your opinions/experiences.
200 miles here, then went to regular riding habits what are pretty demanding and tried to keep off redline until 600 miles.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I did about 300 miles as well. Fully opened it up when I hit 600. Changed the oil and filter at 150

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
It took me 10+ miles to get mine home and the first thing I did was change the oil when I got home. I'll change the oil again this weekend at the 600m mark.

Breaking in the engine hard isn't a matter of miles, it's a matter of engine temperature, rpms, and gear changes. I know this debate will rage on for years but my understanding is that the rings seat fairly quickly. How they seat depend on how the engine is used. Considering the way the engine needs to be used to break in the engine the hard way I would only recommend doing that on a dyno. Using this method on the street (unless you have a lot of isolated/unpopulated straightway areas) with a brand new bike with brand new tires and brand new brakes that you may not be used to can pose a number of problems. None of them good. Ride the bike the way you want, varying the rpms, letting engine braking occur, and be damn careful of your new tires if you try to push the bike through corners. Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The first 300 miles for me was the most crucial, I was easy on her and did a lot of different speeds all staying under 6k rpms. At 350 I opened her up to anything below the 8k range. Did my first oil change at 600 per the specs for the bike. At about 800 miles just last night and I really got on it....hehehe amazing!

·
Registered
612 Posts
The first 300 miles for me was the most crucial, I was easy on her and did a lot of different speeds all staying under 6k rpms. At 350 I opened her up to anything below the 8k range. Did my first oil change at 600 per the specs for the bike. At about 800 miles just last night and I really got on it....hehehe amazing!
I just rolled over about 880mi on the ODO yesterday and I took the bike out to a quiet farming area with lots of twisties so I could really open her up for the first time. I probably topped out at around 9500rpms in A mode, as that was the limit to my courage.. But I have to say the power when you get over and above 6k is scary, yet addictive. This is my first ever bike so that's maybe not saying much, but man can this thing move when the rpms are high. I love it even more now :cool:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Congratulations

Howdy, Welcome, and Congratulations.:) I varied my speed a lot. I was slow in B mode for the first 100 miles. Lots of throttle but under 5500 rpm in B mode until 600 miles. Lots of throttle but under 7500 rpm in B mode until 900 miles. Then anything goes. Be safe. Fast bike!:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts