Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took the plunge and bought my first ever new motorcycle, and I'm glad I went with the FZ09. A little history before getting to the good stuff. I'm a 20+ year veteran of everything 2 wheeled and gas powered. Prior to acquiring the FZ I primarily rode my 07' ZX10R and 05' DRZ400SM, to this day I love them both, however each fall to one end or the other on the fast, fun, and comfortable spectrum. The 10R is simply stupid fast and a BLAST to ride, but kills my back after an hour and would have probably landed me in jail if it wasn't for the FZ. The DRZ is cool and lots of fun in it's own way, I can rail the twisties wide open then hit some parking lot jumps, followed up but some 5th gear wheelies, however it's still pretty much a dirt bike and it's a single 400.. Anything more than back road and parking lot hooliganism is beyond it's purpose. I've owned a wide array of bikes over the years, starting with my first street bike being a late 80's FZ600 (somewhat ironic I'd say). The most memorable bikes over the years have been the 03' GSXR1000's (had 2 in different stages) for its fast factor and somewhat up-right and comfortable riding position, the two Nighthawk 750's because they too were fast (relatively speaking), comfortable, and handled well, although grossly under-sprung. Beyond those I've owned a 01' GSXR1000, several Honda Shadow 750's (for my Dad to ride), an SV650, Triumph Speed 4, ZX636R, ZX6R, RD250, GSXR750, Virago 750 (don't judge me), RVT1000 RC51, and probably a few more that I've forgotten about. So, now that I've qualified my diverse history of motorcycle ownership, on to my FZ09.

After less than a week of ownership and nearly 300 miles as of this morning, here's my initial review of the FZ09:
A Mode = Pure Uncut CRACK!
Intake + Exhaust tone = better than a Mozart symphony (well, above 6500rpm).
Many have said sub-par brakes; really??? Maybe my 10R with ZX14 calipers and HH pads are not working as they should, because the brakes on the FZ are great! They blend well with the entire package.
Suspension, yeah, its pretty soft and Cadi-like.. Still waiting to fiddle with rebound and preload until I get acquainted with the rest of the bike. However, this isn't a track bike.
Abrupt fueling the say, yeah, especially in A Mode, but not too bad in STD. Again, coming from my ultra-sensitive 10R and carbed DRZ, the FZ isn't all that bad.
Very much comfortable and plenty of saddle room to adjust riding position as needed.
Feature packed, love the riding modes, gear indicator, fuel gauge, intake temp, etc......
Fit and finish is better than expected, the only "cheap" looking and feeling component is the clutch perch/lever assembly IMO.
Then there is the break-in period... Being my first ever NEW bike, I'm trying hard to keep it under 6000rpm as suggested by Yamaha, and varying the power and decel loads, fluctuating engine speed as much as possible, etc.. But boy, is it tempting to go into the 7000+ rpm range, where the stars align, music begins to ring out, and shifting becomes smooth.... Mind the analogy, but its like a Virgin waiting for his wedding night, so much anticipation and temptation, 600/1,000 miles can't come fast enough!!!! Till then, I'll continue to try and control my urges.
Finally, while I ride the bike and allow things to break in, expand and contract, smooth out, adhere and seal, etc; I have to tell myself that no matter what little things arise that cause me to have anxiety attacks (specifically 2 lower case bolts that had some oil residue after my initial 70 mile ride), this bike is new, truly requires some break-in in all areas, and has a warranty! No need to fret, no matter what, its covered and I need not stress. I have noticed that what seemed like a clunky transmission is continuing to smooth out, along with clutch action and general engine character.

Bottom line, the FZ is a near perfect blend of power, comfort, fun, and sensibility. I'm THOROUGHLY enjoying my time with her so far and look forward to being able to really get after it once break in is reached.

Future mods in order of importance are as follows:
T-Rex Frame Slider, Case Guard, and Axle Slider kit
HID headlight kit (not the projector retro, just a bulb, ballast, and 5000k heat rating)
Small Fly Screen (really to keep bugs and the elements away from the gauge cluster and cables, etc)
ECU reflash (maybe...)

Overall I am very pleased and my expectations have been at least met if not exceeded after reading up on her for months and finally bringing her home.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would be happy with the Caddy like suspension - if it had decent rebound damping. Recommend turning the rear damping screw all the way in and the fork damper almost all the way in, so that when you hit that 70mph pot hole it doesn't bounce like a 20 year old caddy on the other side of the hole.

It is a great bike though - no doubt there.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nice review. Sorry I can't put crack in perspective, or being a virgin waiting to get married, but I think see where you headed. Have fun.

·
Registered
730 Posts
With this screen name............. Let's race!

Welcome aboard....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts