Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No bike yet. Saving up at the moment. Should have all the $$$ by next month.

I currently have a Supermoto, for the track and the mountains.

2013 KTM 500 EXC/SM

2009 Yamaha Zuma 50 - for tooling around town.

I'll just be lurking around for now.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome! :) You should feel right at home with the 09 after the KTM. I've always thought the seating position of the 09 was similar to an MX. It will be interesting to hear what you think after a few miles on the 09.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm curious myself.

There are a few things I don't like about the FZ-09, but they were made like that because of the low price. Like the horrible suspension. I'm sure you guys know about that only one fork has the compression and rebound in it. The other just has a spring. In other words it's just there. The brakes aren't that great and I've heard about the fueling too.

However, I already have a few things ordered and waiting to put on the bike:

Ohlins fork cartridges.
Ohlins Shock.
Bazzaz unit.
Ti Akrapovic exhaust.
Brake lines/pads. Maybe even Brembo's once I find out the bolt spacing on the radial calipers.

After all that, I should be good to go.

Does anyone know the bolt spacing on the calipers? 100mm, 108mm, or Yamaha 110mm?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I emailed the owner of Fast Bike Industries (#1 Ohlins dealer in USA) to see if he can source the Ohlins setup on this bike:

As soon as I get a response I'll let you guys know. And I'm very sure he will find me a set LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum 225. Suspension really does need some help on this bike if it is pushed even a little. Brakes are really Not that bad. I won't go so far as to say they are great, but honestly, they aren't really too bad. I had mine on the track at Road Atlanta last November, and the thing was more limited by front end dive than by brakes.

I know Dave B. over at FBI....he put a set of cartridges in my Aprilia DorsoDuro 750. He and his wife do some track days with us too. Nice guy and very knowledgeable with suspension.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
337 Posts
Welcome, nice 500 - wish mine still looked that good but 2 years of thrashing it in the woods has taken its toll.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum 225. Suspension really does need some help on this bike if it is pushed even a little. Brakes are really Not that bad. I won't go so far as to say they are great, but honestly, they aren't really too bad. I had mine on the track at Road Atlanta last November, and the thing was more limited by front end dive than by brakes.

I know Dave B. over at FBI....he put a set of cartridges in my Aprilia DorsoDuro 750. He and his wife do some track days with us too. Nice guy and very knowledgeable with suspension.
Dave is a very good friend of mine. And he knows everything lol. But I won't be doing a whole lot of street riding unless I go to the mountains.

I will either be on the track or in the twistys. I'm about half way there on saving up for one. So it wont be long.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just talked to David and he said he can get these forks. Whoop whoop!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts