Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those not aware Ohlins recently released their Blackline of shocks. The YA588 is the equivalent to the YA535 as far as I can tell other than being blacked out. I got it installed last night and went for a ride this morning. What a difference. I have only set sag and not yet played with the damping and the difference from stock is amazing. Thanks to the guys over at Fast Bike Industries. They are the best.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's really cool, I like the way this looks better than the classic gold colors. I switched over to the Penske recently and I really think it's changed the bike entirely. Any plans for the front end?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like the black, but like Darf, I went with a Penske shock. If you have not done the forks yet, you are missing out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's really cool, I like the way this looks better than the classic gold colors. I switched over to the Penske recently and I really think it's changed the bike entirely. Any plans for the front end?
I definitely plan on replacing the front cartridges but I am not sure which ones just yet. I am between Ohlins, Nitron, and GP. I have to replenish my bike funds first though. I just ordered Gilles chain adjusters, Gilles titanium axle nut, shorter axle, and low mount license bracket in addition to the Ohlins shock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks very stealth... for those that like that look. Very sharp!!!

I on the other hand prefer the gold colors just for the bling factor.
It worked better for the look I am after. If I had gold forks I definitely would would have went with the standard Ohlins gold/yellow. I like that they offer the Blackline for those of us that the gold doesn't match though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm... did you "have" to remove the left pillion foot peg?
It's not required but I never have a passenger so I chose to. Other than color, this is the same shock that came on the MT09 SP. Here you can see it with passenger peg in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the black, but like Darf, I went with a Penske shock. If you have not done the forks yet, you are missing out.
I am definitely planning to. I am surprised how much better it already is though. What direction did you go with the forks?

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Black? No way in hell, the whole point of Ohlins gold is to tell the world you're a rich git.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, my OCD kicked in. YOU MUST REMOVE THE OTHER... symmetry! LMFAO.
Mine too but I wasn't patient enough to make a brake reservoir bracket before taking her for a test spin. After I got home I made this bracket until I can figure out a more permanent solution. I wanted to use Sato Racing tie down hooks but they don't look like they will clear on the left side so I have to figure something else out.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
871 Posts
Black? No way in hell, the whole point of Ohlins gold is to tell the world you're a rich git.
That's exactly what I thought. I have Ohlins cartridges on my current bike and all you get are these crappy little stickers that say "Ohlins Technology Inside" If it weren't for the fact that they do work very well, I'd be totally disappointed.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Mine too but I wasn't patient enough to make a brake reservoir bracket before taking her for a test spin. After I got home I made this bracket until I can figure out a more permanent solution. I wanted to use Sato Racing tie down hooks but they don't look like they will clear on the left side so I have to figure something else out. View attachment 165053
Here you go ......https://stoltecmoto.com/shop/yamaha/fz-09/14-fz-09-rear-brake-reservoir-relocation-kit/ Stoltec Moto

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
That's exactly what I thought. I have Ohlins cartridges on my current bike and all you get are these crappy little stickers that say "Ohlins Technology Inside" If it weren't for the fact that they do work very well, I'd be totally disappointed.
Bitubo aren't as good, but they have very flash fork top fittings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't know that it was a known fact that the bitubo cartridge kit was inferior to the other options on the market. I have their kit and quite honestly cannot imagine a better feeling front end once you get them dialed in. For the price they are unbeatable imo. And yes they look very nice as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts