Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this 2006 Honda CBR 600 F4i today as a birthday present thanks to my amazing wife:

It's only got a little over 5,000 miles on it, is completely stock and looks showroom-new. I've been looking for an unmolested example, most of the ones still out there have obnoxious exhausts and/or cheesy cosmetic mods (stunters love this bike because it's virtually indestructible).

It's the final model year of the F4i, the last of the practical, do-it-all supersports bikes. The riding position is actually quite comfy. Now my 1991 Hawk GT has a little brother!

Unfortunately I won't be riding it anytime soon (I'm in Wisconsin) the way the weather is going...

·
Registered
957 Posts
That's one bike I wouldn't mind having myself. Modern supersports are far too extreme for my taste. I prefer the way they made them back in the 1990s, with more of a "street" bias than being purely track focused machines. You're right, this WAS the last bike of that style.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Congrats man. Nice bike you got there. Very clean specimen, like you said, they are hard to find unmolested. Get you some blue rim tape. Makes the bike look mucho bettero. Enjoy it!

I had one a while back myself:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats man. Nice bike you got there. Very clean specimen, like you said, they are hard to find unmolested. Get you some blue rim tape. Makes the bike look mucho bettero. Enjoy it!

I had one a while back myself:

I notice you didn't fit a hugger; did you find the shock & linkage didn't have a problem with gunk/crap getting on them? That area looks kinda vulnerable to dirt to me...

·
Registered
883 Posts
(stunters love this bike because it's virtually indestructible)
My neighbor came fairly close to destroying his F4i (hopefully its new owner reversed the trend), so a superb example like yours is a pleasure to view. Congratulations on the new ride!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought an F4i cheap after I got bobby-trapped (that's another story), and wrecked my F3. I loved that bike, but I'm pretty sure it should have had a modified title. Glad to see another one on the road and properly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I notice you didn't fit a hugger; did you find the shock & linkage didn't have a problem with gunk/crap getting on them? That area looks kinda vulnerable to dirt to me...
I never noticed it getting especially dirty or grimy. But I would constantly clean the bike and never rode in the rain. So I'm probably not the best judge of that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
very nice! What a cbr, nice blank slate for yoh

·
Registered
833 Posts
:cool::cool:Nice ride, Congrats! Not all Honda's are evil......I guess

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had an F4i that I bought new in 2001. I was all set for the red and white one til I got to the dealer and saw the silver and black. I was about to close on a house so I couldn't pick it up right away. The dealer (a friend) put it on a turntable in the second story window. It was the longest two weeks of my life. Great bike. Fond memories.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sweet bike! I had the silver from the same year that I bought new from my local dealer. Nice comfy bike that moved out well and has a good bit of mods available no matter which direction you want to take it. Congrats!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Rim tape? Not sure of the performance obtained with decorations of the wheel.

Ride Safe.

hey Dude,,, look ....rim tape.....awesome....

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took my new F4i for its first long ride (about 130 miles) on Saturday. The Wisconsin roads are still covered with sand/salt/etc. so I took it real easy, but holy crap this thing is a riot to ride. It just wants to fricken' GO GO GO all the time, like a frisky puppy that just tugs on the leash and tries to run and run! It's also incredibly light on its feet, it makes my Hawk GT feel like a Greyhound bus by comparison. I still need to adjust the shift pedal and clutch and brake levers, they were killing my wrists because they're rotated too high. And I want to put a new front tire on before I really cut loose...

Maybe it's because I'm just so used to the Hawk, but I sure didn't think this thing feels gutless below 8K or so. It pulls nice and strong from 4K; not neck-snapping power but it smoothly spools up and never feels like it's laboring. The intake and exhaust noise is addictive, and that's with the stock stuff still in place. I can't wait until the roads get clean and the weather gets better!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts