Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not one particular bike, but I was watching a list of 2020 models coming. The KTM 890 sounds interesting, but I'm not too sure about the local importer of KTM.
Even though I don't have a beard, the Beemer F900 also appeals.
The hyper nakeds are just so over the top. 200+ HP on a naked? You certainly can miss arms and upper body day with one of those. But imagine the power slides with that grunt and nice wide bars to control it.
There's also talk of a turbo'ed MT10. It'd have to be as lag free as my EA888 engine in the car before I'd consider a turbo bike though.

Reactions: alnbama and Darf

·
Registered
426 Posts
I saw an article about spy shots of an mt10. I guess Yamaha wants to compete with the H2 Z model.

I think people have finally realized a naked bike is the best bike for street riding.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Agree, love to look at new bikes. The supercharger on the H2 makes more sense vs a turbo. The KTM 890 had a good review in Road Racing World. I demoed a Duke 690, or 790 don't recall for sure, but I didn't like it. Ridding buddy did the same demo ride and then he bought a MT-09.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I know a guy who just bought a 790, he likes it, but I'm pretty sure he likes the KTM label more than the actual bike. Same kid bought a gsxr1000 and left it in 600 mode, if that's any hint.

The 890 looks like it could eat up any other middle weight bike though.

I cant see a good way for a turbo to work well on a bike, especially when it comes to cornering, Yamaha's are twitchy enough.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree, love to look at new bikes. The supercharger on the H2 makes more sense vs a turbo. The KTM 890 had a good review in Road Racing World. I demoed a Duke 690, or 790 don't recall for sure, but I didn't like it. Ridding buddy did the same demo ride and then he bought a MT-09.
I don't blame them, I hate singles too.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Ridden 690 and 790 Dukes. The 890 would a 790, only more. While they were fun, they both were less than ideal overall. The 690 had ridiculous vibrations being a thumper. Surprisingly, the twin 790 was almost as bad. I couldn’t read anything on the 790 screen in bright daylight. Ended up holding my left hand over it to make anything out. The color was okay on the 790, but looked really cheap in person and up close. Hitting bumps was painful due to its extreme stiffness. Dukes are super aggressive while totally lacking any refinement. An MT-09 would easily be much more fun and comfortable by comparison. Not to mention, a lot more reliable. I’ll be test riding the BMW F900XR (I have a beard). I really like my F700, but the F9 would offer a decent increase in power along with 17” wheels. It still has longer suspension though that would maintain the smooth ride on rough roads that made me switch over to an ADV. Put 7” of travel on an MT and I’d be banging down the dealership door to buy one. The MT-10 already has more power than most people need off the track. Adding a turbo would be insane. My FZ-10 brought the front wheel up in fourth gear at 90 mph. How many people need to go 200 mph on the rear tire?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darwins theory testers?

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
One more new model worth mentioning. The 2020 BMW S1000XR has been upgraded. While not a true naked bike, it’s still a great offering. Just too much power for me. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I’m gonna toss in here the 2020 Triumph Street Triple 765RS. Definitely a hefty tag, but my goodness she is ready for long touring hauls and carving up canyons and track apex’s.

Reactions: Screan29

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
383 Posts
I’m gonna toss in here the 2020 Triumph Street Triple 765RS. Definitely a hefty tag, but my goodness she is ready for long touring hauls and carving up canyons and track apex’s.

View attachment 158577
I just dont like the lights... I know I wouldn't see them while riding but if I cant look back at what I ride when I get off of it and smile I dont want it.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
383 Posts
I know a guy who just bought a 790, he likes it, but I'm pretty sure he likes the KTM label more than the actual bike. Same kid bought a gsxr1000 and left it in 600 mode, if that's any hint.

The 890 looks like it could eat up any other middle weight bike though.

I cant see a good way for a turbo to work well on a bike, especially when it comes to cornering, Yamaha's are twitchy enough.
When I was young and dumb my zx-6 had a little turbo on it. Stuffed up in the lower fairing.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Ridden 690 and 790 Dukes. The 890 would a 790, only more. While they were fun, they both were less than ideal overall. The 690 had ridiculous vibrations being a thumper. Surprisingly, the twin 790 was almost as bad. I couldn’t read anything on the 790 screen in bright daylight. Ended up holding my left hand over it to make anything out. The color was okay on the 790, but looked really cheap in person and up close. Hitting bumps was painful due to its extreme stiffness. Dukes are super aggressive while totally lacking any refinement. An MT-09 would easily be much more fun and comfortable by comparison. Not to mention, a lot more reliable. I’ll be test riding the BMW F900XR (I have a beard). I really like my F700, but the F9 would offer a decent increase in power along with 17” wheels. It still has longer suspension though that would maintain the smooth ride on rough roads that made me switch over to an ADV. Put 7” of travel on an MT and I’d be banging down the dealership door to buy one. The MT-10 already has more power than most people need off the track. Adding a turbo would be insane. My FZ-10 brought the front wheel up in fourth gear at 90 mph. How many people need to go 200 mph on the rear tire?
one of my favourite bikes i ever owned was a KTM 640SM. Shook like a paint shaker, made my eyeballs vibrate, but got smoother the more you revved it. But jeebus it was fun.
I'd love to own a 690, but i do too many ks to have another single as a commuter. They were popular courier bikes, so reliability must be good.
Test rode a 790. Electronics were awesome, still very light, very nimble, very narrow for a twin. Not as much power as the 09, and non adjustable suspension. Almost competition for an 09, but not quite.
The 890 might actually be competition for an 09.

I just sold my vfr streetfighter, so have the cash for suspension and maybe a full woolich race tune.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
But that’s what we all do isn’t it? Put a ton of time and money in to make them exactly what we want, then replace them and start all over. Once they’re perfect, we need a new challenge.

Keef, I agree the 690 Duke was super fun to ride. The light weight with its power ratio was something to experience. But, vibes were a real killer. I thought the 790 vibes really weren’t that much less. You didn’t mention the instrument panel visibility, but the 790 Duke I rode was impossible in sunlight.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My problem with the 890 is the price tag, at 11699 or whatever it is, I'm looking into a bigger league of bikes like the MT10, GSXS1000, even the Tuono isnt that much more expensive for the base.

I never had the KTM itch, maybe it's just the kind of people I know that own them.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Back when I was enamored with the 690 Duke, I spent time on their forum. Many owners were experiencing gas tank warpage around the filler neck. Accelerating away from gas stations with a full tank dumped gasoline out around the cap and into their laps. They fought tooth and nail under warranty with KTM. The squeakiest wheels got the grease in the form of a new replacement tank. The manufacturers and process were unchanged, so they continued to warp and leak soon after being replaced. As far as I know, KTM never did a recall and never changed suppliers throughout the 690 Duke production years. Not all of them warped, but quite a few on the forum had the problem. They even had a procedure posted by the members how to apply a special epoxy around the flange as a fix. Their other option was to fuel up with only a half tank. That, and cut back on their wheelies, which was commonplace on the 690. I took that as a testimony to what kind of concern and support I could ever expect on anything from KTM. And, yes, KTMs are very expensive when compared with similar offerings from other brands.

There’s also a standing joke that KTM owners should take their dog along on their rides, so they would always have someone to walk home with. Or was that Ducati?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

View attachment 158577
Sorry, I just couldn't live with the Marty Feldman special. No matter how great a vehicle is, I also want to be able to look at it with pride.

Reactions: Screan29

·
Registered
188 Posts
Somewhat expected, but I was sad the KTM 890 wasn’t at the MC expo in NY a few months back - I was very interested to sit on it. Instead I played with a kawi Z900 and was surprised how much I liked the seating position. I felt very comfortable and connected, not that I’d get one, but I’d love to test it out.
Coming from the other direction, I rented a KTM super adventure 1290 for a tour through Portugal last year and will admit - I left liking KTM a lot more than expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I will say the Z900 TFT display is nice, but I found extremely small with even smaller text.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts