Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Thought I would introduce myself, I've just pulled the trigger on an orange 2014 model and so far it's been awesome!

The suspension is woefully underdone for spirited riding in fact it feels like riding a high speed pogo stick but that being said the rest of the bike is brilliant!

The engine is fantastic, brakes are pretty good, it's comfortable (compared to my old CBR1000RR) and it's bloody great value! As long as you go into the purchase knowing the suspension is rubbish and you can allocate a few bucks to sort it out this bike has got to be the bargain buy of the last couple of years.

I took mine to the Reefton Spur last weekend for my second ever ride on it along with a mate on an S1000RR, when I had my CBR we were closely matched we could stick with each other no problem, despite this only being my second time on the bike and with the poor suspension in the tighter stuff it was just effortless and I could pull away with ease. I don't think for a minute I suddenly got faster but it seems like I can get on the throttle so much earlier on this bike and the wide spread of torque helps ( I have had the updated Yamaha map downloaded)

His comments to me were "when you get the new suspension fitted that thing will be a weapon" ( I have the Matris 20mm cartridge kit and a Wilburs 641 shock on the way)

Looking forward to learning more about our great bike and enjoying this summers riding!

Cheers

:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Reefton ... aah, wouldn't happen to have the same nick on NR, wouldja? ;)

Mine's same colour as yours, have a Ohlins YA335 shock waiting for 1k service, together with host of other parts!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Welcome to The MACHINE!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome, FNG here as well.
I ride a Tuono that is pretty similar to the FZ-09, about the same weight (434 w/full tank of fuel) and similar wheelbase.
It too is an upright bike. They are comfy but sitting upright makes the front end difficult to adjust IMO.
I have Race Tech springs in a Showa fork and Ohlins valves. Sprung for my "mature" stature.
This bike has CF wheels and I've never really gotten the feedback from the front wheel that I am used to.
I kept moving the forks up and raising the rear, then dropping front tire pressure.
Finally at 29 PSI cold, bend my elbows and put more weight over the front and I get the front end feel and feed back that I am looking for.
32 PSI (cold) and it's vague, light and lively with no feedback.
Running an Ohlins R&T shock on the rear.
Plan to do similar mods to the fizzer once I finally pick one up.

I like the way that the triple compression brakes like the Rotax twin but without the heavy crank and rotating mass that goes along with it.
Now just have to raise a bike cover, sell one quick then put the Yamaha under it and act like it's been there all along. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, whitenite one and te same although NR went to the dogs years ago, I don't think I have logged in there for years!

Somehow a carbon akrapovic system seems to have been ordered for the new beastie...I wonder how that happened LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts