Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to wait to create a new member thread but thought I'd do it now in case I start posting.

To start off, I do not currently own an Fz09. However, I have aspirations of getting one withing the next year or so. My current ride is an '03 Fz1. I love this bike and thought perhaps it could be my 'forever' bike. However, a friend of mine that I work with got an Fz09... I following him on a quick ride during a break from work. He asked me if I wanted to switch bikes...to which I answered yes!

After that one ride, the Fz09 is all I can think about!! It is the epitome of FUN. It is captures all of the reasons why I've ever ridden motorcycles. After riding it, I almost feel like I've "cheated" on my Fz1.

As for my Fz1, I'll probably keep it in the family as my 22yr old son is wanting a 'new' bike... As soon as he buys my Fz, I'll head to the nearest dealer.

Age = Born in 1965
Experience = Riding since about 8. Total of about 250,000 miles (street)
Bikes, Honda Mini-Trail 50, A 2-stroke Indian 100, 77 Yamaha YZ80, 76 Honda CB750, '84 Rz350, 84 Interceptor 500, 87 Hurricane 600, 74 Yamaha DT400, and finally the '03 Fz1.

Raced the Yz when I was a kid.
Raced the Rz350 in AMA CCS in the late 80s in Phx Arizona. I think I also raced PRRO...(Phx Road Racing Org) but can't exactly recall.
I put nearly 110,000 miles on my '87 600. Bought her brand new in 87 and rode it for about 12 years doing all of my own maintenance.
Married for 2nd time in 99. End of riding. New wife did not approve.
15yrs later, I visited my brother out of state and went riding with him and his family. (They all ride) The day after I got back from visiting them I bought my Fz1. After those few days of riding in Ohio, I realized what I was missing. 15 years into this marriage and I decided to "Tell" the wife that I was getting a bike. It went over like a lead balloon, but I stood my ground. Now I'm happily riding again!

In the 9 months that I've owned this Fz1, I've fallen back in love with this 'sport'. My Fz1 was brought back from the dead. It took me from July to October to get it road worthy. The kid I purchased it from BROKE it. Literally. I picked it up for CHEAP and I've repaired or upgraded almost everything. My next upgrade is an R1 fork conversion. As soon as I'm done with that... I'm done modding. It will be a good safe bike for my son to ride for years.

I look forward to one day being a 'real' member.

In the meantime...I'll just envy you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You and I tell the same story...well, I had much less success than you did, but thats no surprise. We did own a similar list of bikes.

I think we keep finding our last bike....Just like the cb750's or the Hurricane 500's...but, truthfully the fz09 will end up being a bike in a growing story, and thats the way its supposed to be.

Honest, did we NEED more performance than a 600 hurricane offered? That bike was sort-of liek an fz09, for its time. Top of the line performance, and a great price.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Welcome, Walter! The FZ1 is a great bike; I loved mine and regretted selling it. But Yamaha created something special with their FZ-09 triple.

My wife grew up riding horses, so maybe that's why she's okay with my motorcycle riding. But it does help to emphasize to our spouses that we wear protective gear from head to toe. They're just worried about us.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My first wife was not cool with my motorcycle addiction. The first thing I did when I waved goodbye to her was pick up another motocrosser and started racing again. My second wife loves to ride her bike as much as I do. Good trade, I say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts