Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking hard about trading my warrior for a FZ-09. I really like the warrior, but think I'll enjoy the FZ more.
Ever since I got my WR250R a year or so ago, I rediscovered how much I enjoy riding a lightweight bike. I stopped riding the warrior except for longer rides.

This got me looking for a lighter alternative. It seems like the FZ fits what I'm looking for.
I'm going look at them again today. This time I'm bringing my warrior and check book. Wish me luck.
Pics of "Betty"
Am I making a mistake?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I sold both of my my WR250R's to purchase the FZ-09. After I got the FZ, I sold my CBR954RR, as the FZ filled both slots for me. The nimble nature of the FZ replaced the WR for me, and the raw power left me not wanting to ride a sport bike any longer. So far, I am happy with my decision. I had to upgrade the suspension and the ECU to get the bike to behave the way I wanted it to.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I sold both of my my WR250R's to purchase the FZ-09. After I got the FZ, I sold my CBR954RR, as the FZ filled both slots for me. The nimble nature of the FZ replaced the WR for me, and the raw power left me not wanting to ride a sport bike any longer. So far, I am happy with my decision. I had to upgrade the suspension and the ECU to get the bike to behave the way I wanted it to.
This is good to know. I was thinking about picking up a WR250X and convert it into a supermoto.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I had the R version which was off-road too, but I replaced the knobbies with Avon Distanzia road tires for when I was on the street. The X model is the Supermoto version.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I still miss the rumble of my Warrior, just setting off car alarms coasting past with no throttle. The Warrior will be more comfortable for longer rides but the FZ-09 is something I'm way more likely to take out to run basic errands with. They each have their own place/purpose, just like a tool or a gun. :) The FZ-09 is not something you're likely going to have a happy passenger with, whereas it was feasible with the Warrior (had a Corbin seat with passenger backrest).

(Hawkerjet) The Warrior doesn't have floor boards and if you get the right pipes, it can do a pretty good job through canyons and corners, keeping up with most bikes. With a sticky Metzler ME 880, it did a great job in the twisties when I used to live in Colorado. Now I live in South TX with no corners at all, wearing a flat spot in the middle of my tires. Have to drive almost 2 hours to find fun.

Here's what they have in common in my opinion:
- Put a smile on your face
- Good bit of power and acceleration (more so with the FZ of course)
- Passenger needs to hang on for life (esp w no back rest on a Warrior)
- Run through tires pretty quickly
- Do not have a huge range in miles per tank
- AWESOME forum communities with lots of DIY tips

If you have the Warrior paid off, you might want to keep it and get the FZ in addition. Personally, I'd like to have both of them in the garage together so I could pick and choose depending on my mood and the ride distance. If you do swap the Warrior out for an FZ-09, you won't have many regrets. The only things I can think of would be not having a cruiser and loud pipes. Oh yeah, you might have to swap out a good bit of attire (leather chaps and a vest might look a bit funny on a sport bike).

Nice Warrior btw!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been thinking hard about trading my warrior for a FZ-09. I really like the warrior, but think I'll enjoy the FZ more.
Ever since I got my WR250R a year or so ago, I rediscovered how much I enjoy riding a lightweight bike. I stopped riding the warrior except for longer rides.

This got me looking for a lighter alternative. It seems like the FZ fits what I'm looking for.
I'm going look at them again today. This time I'm bringing my warrior and check book. Wish me luck.
Pics of "Betty"
Am I making a mistake?
had a Warrior and loved it but sadly it was takin from me by a crappy driver who backed out in front of me in his shity Honda civic so got a new fz09 Red.. the fz is faster and more nimble but not as comfortable and does not have the sweet earth shaking rumble of a Warrior with exhaust on her that being said i would keep both if i had the choice you will not be disappointed with the fz09 power or torque ...

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I figured there were some current/previous warrior owners in here. It's a tough decision for me but I'm going to make the jump. Previous owners telling me that I won't miss it helps.
As I already stated, I haven't ridden her in quite some time and usually elect to take the dualsport because of its weight and how nimble it is.
I think I'm going to enjoy the FZ.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. I figured there were some current/previous warrior owners in here. It's a tough decision for me but I'm going to make the jump. Previous owners telling me that I won't miss it helps.
As I already stated, I haven't ridden her in quite some time and usually elect to take the dualsport because of its weight and how nimble it is.
I think I'm going to enjoy the FZ.
Welcome to the club and the fun.. your obituary at the Warrior forum is now in progress.

Reactions: Bayoudude

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Should have kept both, but I'm a little biased. :) The FZ outperforms the Warrior, but there's just something about it's character that always keeps me coming back.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again guys.
I made to switch yesterday. I couldn't keep both because I just don't have the room for them. I wanted to keep the WR because I need it for trail riding with my wife and sons, plus it's so fun.
So that meant the warrior had to go, to make room.
I'm loving the FZ! It's just so effortless to ride.
Now, if I can just avoid getting bit by the mod bug.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts