Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. Newbie here based in the frozen north, Calgary, Canada, where the temps are going to be -26C next week (feeling like -30C with wind chill). Dammit.

Just picked up my new (to me) 2020 Tracer 900 GT last weekend, with 4,600km on it. It was an adventure trailering the bike home from a neighbouring province, on icy roads on an open trailer, with literally 3 near (very near!!) deer strikes on the drive home. Beyond excited to throw a leg over and get riding this beast.....but for now it is in deep hibernation in my shed. Coming from a 2013 Vstrom 650 (logged 125,000km on it), and suspect I'll notice the enhanced juice in the Tracer. Looking forward to reading and learning from the veterans on the forum.

I am now actively looking to buy a used Yoshimura Y-series full exhaust (Part # B1J-E46D0-V0-00) in excellent condition if anyone is selling.
A few questions regarding this exhaust:
1) Does it come with a DB insert/killer?
2) Sound level on a scale of 1-10 compared to OEM exhaust (assume OEM exhaust is rated '1').
3) I've heard no fueling updates required with this exhaust. Anyone running one with fueling updates who can weigh in on the difference?
4) Quality of the exhaust - are you happy with the fitment, finish and durability of the finish?

Cheers
Steve

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome.

Can't help with the exhaust, but my two other bikes are an FZ-1 and a 650 VStrom. I find the 09 FAR closer to the FZ-1 than the Wee in almost all respects. It's a giggle machine.

Larry
I'm really looking forward to getting out and riding when the weather finally turns up here! A fair few months before that happens sadly. The FZ-1 is a bike I lusted after for many years, some time ago. An impressive machine. I've been away from Yamaha for many moons.....when I was still a young fella in South Africa, owned a Yamaha RZ50.....liquid cooled, 2-stroke, 50cc of unadulterated power ;-) Jokes aside, put over 40,000km on that bike and lived close to red line the entire time (you had to, in order to get any momentum).....it was dead reliable and provided a lot of fun.
The Tracer sounds like it's going to be a blast!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the gang. By any chance have you ever trout fished the Bow River?
Thx for the kind welcome.
To your question.....never trout fished the Bow river, but have a bunch of mates who have and apparently its pretty impressive. A bunch of stretches of the Bow river and Elbow river provide some world class trout fishing. C'mon up and give it a go someday!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get your ecu flashed while you are putting her up for the winter. It will transform your bike !
Sorely tempted for sure based on what I've read on the forum. First step is to find a Y-series exhaust.....ideally used as budget is a factor. Once installed, the ECU flash sounds like it makes a fair difference......so may be worth seriously considering. More money though.....😞

· Registered
711 Posts
Howdy all. Newbie here based in the frozen north, Calgary, Canada, where the temps are going to be -26C next week (feeling like -30C with wind chill). Dammit.

Just picked up my new (to me) 2020 Tracer 900 GT last weekend, with 4,600km on it. It was an adventure trailering the bike home from a neighbouring province, on icy roads on an open trailer, with literally 3 near (very near!!) deer strikes on the drive home. Beyond excited to throw a leg over and get riding this beast.....but for now it is in deep hibernation in my shed. Coming from a 2013 Vstrom 650 (logged 125,000km on it), and suspect I'll notice the enhanced juice in the Tracer. Looking forward to reading and learning from the veterans on the forum.

I am now actively looking to buy a used Yoshimura Y-series full exhaust (Part # B1J-E46D0-V0-00) in excellent condition if anyone is selling.
A few questions regarding this exhaust:
1) Does it come with a DB insert/killer?
2) Sound level on a scale of 1-10 compared to OEM exhaust (assume OEM exhaust is rated '1').
3) I've heard no fueling updates required with this exhaust. Anyone running one with fueling updates who can weigh in on the difference?
4) Quality of the exhaust - are you happy with the fitment, finish and durability of the finish?

Cheers
Steve
I'm late, but I have the Y Series on my '16

1- Yes, it has a removable DB killer
2- It's not overly loud, but loud enough that I take it easy when cruising through a neighbor or somewhere where it might draw unwanted attention. You'll have no problems hearing the bike, but you don't need earplugs either. It's the perfect amount of noise without being tiring.
3- My ECU was flashed by the previous owner. I installed the exhaust myself. I can't speak to how an unflsshed ECU would be, but it would be safe. You don't NEED a flash to run this exhaust. My AIS system is still active with my flash and the exhaust makes fantastic burbling noises ( not backfires) on decel. I'd never want to lose that.
4- Durability will be fine, but it's a rather mass produced looking product. Mine had dents in the head pipes where the pipes were clamped in the bender. I wasn't thrilled with that, but honestly, you can't barely see it now that the pipe is colored from riding. I can't say it's show quality construction but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's professional looking. Nobody will think you cobbled it together yourself. It does fit the bike perfectly and mounts solidly.

I weighed the Y Series vs the stock system. IIRC is was around 8-9lbs lighter, but don't quote me on that.

I'm 100% satisfied and very, very happy I ended up with this exhaust system.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· Registered
711 Posts
Sorely tempted for sure based on what I've read on the forum. First step is to find a Y-series exhaust.....ideally used as budget is a factor. Once installed, the ECU flash sounds like it makes a fair difference......so may be worth seriously considering. More money though.....😞
I kept an eye out on ebay for used systems and found a dealer unloading a new in box Y series. Get the part number for the exhaust system and search eBay with that number and you might get lucky. There are different part numbers as different mufflers will say FZ09 , MT09, FJ09, etc, so if you're not picky about the badge on the muffler that could open up some options for you. Unless your bike has a center stand and has a dedicated exhaust to clear that. I don't know anything about that but it might be worth investigating.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm late, but I have the Y Series on my '16

1- Yes, it has a removable DB killer
2- It's not overly loud, but loud enough that I take it easy when cruising through a neighbor or somewhere where it might draw unwanted attention. You'll have no problems hearing the bike, but you don't need earplugs either. It's the perfect amount of noise without being tiring.
3- My ECU was flashed by the previous owner. I installed the exhaust myself. I can't speak to how an unflsshed ECU would be, but it would be safe. You don't NEED a flash to run this exhaust. My AIS system is still active with my flash and the exhaust makes fantastic burbling noises ( not backfires) on decel. I'd never want to lose that.
4- Durability will be fine, but it's a rather mass produced looking product. Mine had dents in the head pipes where the pipes were clamped in the bender. I wasn't thrilled with that, but honestly, you can't barely see it now that the pipe is colored from riding. I can't say it's show quality construction but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's professional looking. Nobody will think you cobbled it together yourself. It does fit the bike perfectly and mounts solidly.

I weighed the Y Series vs the stock system. IIRC is was around 8-9lbs lighter, but don't quote me on that.

I'm 100% satisfied and very, very happy I ended up with this exhaust system.

View attachment 173888
What a great write up on the Y-series exhaust! Thx for taking the time to do that. Very encouraging to hear you're so happy with it. I've heard a few sound bites on You tube and it does sound really good in those. I'm hoping it sounds even better in the flesh.....suspect it does. Your description suggests it provides just the right level of sound I'm looking for. I'm really looking forward to getting it installed!
Thx for the confirmation on the inclusion of the DB killer.
Fair suggestion on surfing e-bay for ones that might come up.....I will do that.
Hoping the 'Works finish' will prove durable. I have a stainless steel finish on the Yoshimura I currently have on my Vstrom, and have found 'staining' spots come up regularly. Requires significant elbow grease with metal polish to 'buff' them out.....a real PIA. Guess I need to maintain perspective....it's an exhaust after all, and will degrade over time.
Won't be able to slip the additional cost of the ECU flash past my missus for some while I'm sure....she cannot understand why I'm replacing a perfectly functional exhaust.....it's a tough sell. Problem is the 'equivalency' fund she runs....which can result in every addition to the bike effectively costing 2x actual cost as she 'tops up' her equivalency fund ;)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I kept an eye out on ebay for used systems and found a dealer unloading a new in box Y series. Get the part number for the exhaust system and search eBay with that number and you might get lucky. There are different part numbers as different mufflers will say FZ09 , MT09, FJ09, etc, so if you're not picky about the badge on the muffler that could open up some options for you. Unless your bike has a center stand and has a dedicated exhaust to clear that. I don't know anything about that but it might be worth investigating.
All good points.
My Tracer does have the centre stand, so will need to be mindful of this and ensure whatever I get fits around the stand. I'm not picky about the tag on the exhaust....more than happy to have a different badge on the muffler as long as it fits. I'll have to look into this more....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts