Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined up after getting the bike last week. Been away for 9 years after a pretty intensive biking history. Thanks for the posts guys....you helped me to stop the procrastinating and to to get the bike.......and what a blast it is!!....the quirks.....remind me of my old RD 400...
originally from Uk but
I m living in NZ these days....Very pleased to see a few of you kiwi bikers on this forum....drop me a line sometime....there must be at least 20 MT09s out there now in NZ!
Gazza

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cool got mine in Feb this year and just had the official ECU reflash (smooths the choppy throttle response and fueling at low loads/revs), mine was an early one, Id suspect yours may have the later maps in it already (worthwhile asking the dealer if this is the case, they wont tell you), the reflash and putting heavier 10w fork oil in it has improved it to about 85-90% of its potential (from 70ish), fork cartridges, decent shock, tyres, pipe and a PCV will get it to 98%, went for a 50km blast today (first since the changes) and the bike was awesome, far more composed at the front end now while still being a bit soft, its the only bike Ive had which picked up from a full throttle in 6th from 1500rpm and accelerate smoothly away, the motor is incredible. Id suspect there would be at least 100 of them on NZ roads now since their intro.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bike.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Just joined up after getting the bike last week. Been away for 9 years after a pretty intensive biking history. Thanks for the posts guys....you helped me to stop the procrastinating and to to get the bike.......and what a blast it is!!....the quirks.....remind me of my old RD 400...
originally from Uk but
I m living in NZ these days....Very pleased to see a few of you kiwi bikers on this forum....drop me a line sometime....there must be at least 20 MT09s out there now in NZ!
Gazza
Welcome aboard JoJo. You are in for miles and miles of smiles and fun on your new FZ.

Be sure and say hi to Burt Munro for all of us. Worlds fastest Indian is one of my favorite movies.

You know Kiwi's really can fly...right?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool got mine in Feb this year and just had the official ECU reflash (smooths the choppy throttle response and fueling at low loads/revs), mine was an early one, Id suspect yours may have the later maps in it already (worthwhile asking the dealer if this is the case, they wont tell you), the reflash and putting heavier 10w fork oil in it has improved it to about 85-90% of its potential (from 70ish), fork cartridges, decent shock, tyres, pipe and a PCV will get it to 98%, went for a 50km blast today (first since the changes) and the bike was awesome, far more composed at the front end now while still being a bit soft, its the only bike Ive had which picked up from a full throttle in 6th from 1500rpm and accelerate smoothly away, the motor is incredible. Id suspect there would be at least 100 of them on NZ roads now since their intro.
Thanks for that mt09 kiwi.....I've followed your posts b4 signing up.....as with several others on the forum....cheers guys.....

I believe that I have the old map and despite it not being a huge problem, the dealer will do the upgrade on first service....I m pleased to see you ve had a noticeable improvement on the front end with just fork oil.....back in the day I used to race LCsin the UK.... the suspension on those bikes was truly awful....all we had for adjustment was fork oil and spacers for the springs!!!!!.......

For road use I m hoping I ll be happy with a upgraded rear shock.....fork oil and springs and a Yamaha remap....maybe I ll feel different when it's run in!!.....out of interest how much fork oil have you used and what make??

Many thanks Jojo

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks for that mt09 kiwi.....I've followed your posts b4 signing up.....as with several others on the forum....cheers guys.....

I believe that I have the old map and despite it not being a huge problem, the dealer will do the upgrade on first service....I m pleased to see you ve had a noticeable improvement on the front end with just fork oil.....back in the day I used to race LCsin the UK.... the suspension on those bikes was truly awful....all we had for adjustment was fork oil and spacers for the springs!!!!!.......

For road use I m hoping I ll be happy with a upgraded rear shock.....fork oil and springs and a Yamaha remap....maybe I ll feel different when it's run in!!.....out of interest how much fork oil have you used and what make??

Many thanks Jojo
Robert Taylor at Kiwi Suspension Solutions has Nitron shocks and Andreanni cartridges for the MT
Also,I would optimise the adjustment of the throttle cables before I would go for the Yamaha remap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Robert Taylor at Kiwi Suspension Solutions has Nitron shocks and Andreanni cartridges for the MT
Also,I would optimise the adjustment of the throttle cables before I would go for the Yamaha remap.
Robert is excellent but in all honesty $2000 to 2500 plus labour for fitment for either suspension option is huge coin, zx10r or 6r shock (mid 2000's models), correct springs for your weight front and rear, 10w fork oil will do for 90% of riders. The difference in the throttle was huge on my bike, but they are all different bike to bike, adjusting the throttle cable and drive chain correctly made a difference (both 2 min jobs), the factory flash is excellent in the absence of anyone in this country offering alternatives, wear out the standard tyres and put some nice sport orientated rubber on, that will make a difference, don't drop the forks through the clamps, did that (down 8mm) and it made the bike jittery. The forks now sit flush with the clamps, preload both ends at max, rebound 1/4 turn out from max both ends, Im 115kg and I can trust the bike now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Robert is excellent but in all honesty $2000 to 2500 plus labour for fitment for either suspension option is huge coin, zx10r or 6r shock (mid 2000's models), correct springs for your weight front and rear, 10w fork oil will do for 90% of riders. The difference in the throttle was huge on my bike, but they are all different bike to bike, adjusting the throttle cable and drive chain correctly made a difference (both 2 min jobs), the factory flash is excellent in the absence of anyone in this country offering alternatives, wear out the standard tyres and put some nice sport orientated rubber on, that will make a difference, don't drop the forks through the clamps, did that (down 8mm) and it made the bike jittery. The forks now sit flush with the clamps, preload both ends at max, rebound 1/4 turn out from max both ends, Im 115kg and I can trust the bike now.
Thanks for your input.....Your points all make sense to me.....it would be great to have this bike sorted for road use for under a $1000....it seems that this is reasonably possible....over the years I ve had my fair share of jap multis and have never splashed the cash on suspension....the mt09 is the first bike I've had that really needs the work!!....let me know when you get your shock and how that goes.....until then enjoy the improvements you Ve made and keep in touch...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Paul.....I've taken most of the slack in the throttle and had a little play with the basic set up.....in the short term I m going to dial myself in after years of inactivity.....thanks for the heads up on Robert....it s great to know we vegot a few genuine experts to lean on if we need them...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
.....and it must be said......with the negativity regarding the " issues" of this bike......what a stonkin engine!!!!.....just outstanding!!!....and I believe a really good chassis too......this bike is a gem for the enthusiast that likes to fiddle.....I'm really pleased that you have got so much more from the bike without having to sell a kidney!!

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
Welcome to the group. You live in a beautiful country. Can you help me with residency status? ;-)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi JoJo welcome to the mad house on an MT09...
Had mine since March and have 16K on it now as I ride it every day.
I've just taken delivery of a ZX10 rear shock which I've had the bottom hole milled out at a local engineers, next stop swap it out and the rear spring. Also have some new front springs waiting to go in with some thicker oil. Hopefully it will tighten up the bike a bit and a lot cheaper than cartridges and nitron shock.
Had a ride on my mates Tuono and felt like a hard tail after the MT09, he thought mine was like a arm chair with a monster motor. The sound of his was awesome so next stop either the Carbon Akro or the new Leo Vince.....Roll on Christmas..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi JoJo welcome to the mad house on an MT09...
Had mine since March and have 16K on it now as I ride it every day.
I've just taken delivery of a ZX10 rear shock which I've had the bottom hole milled out at a local engineers, next stop swap it out and the rear spring. Also have some new front springs waiting to go in with some thicker oil. Hopefully it will tighten up the bike a bit and a lot cheaper than cartridges and nitron shock.
Had a ride on my mates Tuono and felt like a hard tail after the MT09, he thought mine was like a arm chair with a monster motor. The sound of his was awesome so next stop either the Carbon Akro or the new Leo Vince.....Roll on Christmas..
Hi boro
Had a look on trade me for the Zx shocks....nothing.....are you buying your stuff from the states??....the nitron is $1045....

·
Super Moderator
4,340 Posts
I m afraid not......I migrated here myself from the UK 14 years ago......it was tough.....but I believe it is quite easy at the moment....
I have no needed skills, so immigration is out. The South Island is number 1 on my bucket list. I'm a flyfisherman and as you may know, the Owen River Valley is Brown Trout Central.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad someone else thinks the MT feels & sounds like a stroker! I have had heaps - RFV, TZR, RX-S, and the one uppermost in mind is my old 80s Yam Enduro DT125!

Both riding position & peaky nature of the engine - goes (increasing pitch) "pnaaaaa-pahpahpah-pnaaaaaaa ...."

:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi boro
Had a look on trade me for the Zx shocks....nothing.....are you buying your stuff from the states??....the nitron is $1045....
Hi yes, i did get everything from the USA, (nothing doing after ringing around local). It took about a month of looking everyday to find the ZX10R rear but found one eventually for $100.
The front springs I was going to get from Stoltec in the USA, but by the time I got around to it he had stopped but recommended the rate and passed me onto sonicsprings.com so cost about $130 for those.
I am planning on going to 10w oil on the front and also swap the original rear spring onto the ZX10R shock.
As I don't have the spring compressors and tools to do this myself I'm waiting to get the funds together and get it done by Red Baron in Auckland along with the head light recall as well.
Hopefully Dec will be the right time and I get get it all fitted.
Next thought is the Carbon Akra or have seen the Leo Vince which looks cool as well, already have the rear rack, levers (from mad hornets) air duct grills in blue, headlight protector, rad guard and OEM fly screen.
For tyres I hunted around and went with the Bridgestone t30, even though I've had the PR2 and 3's on other bikes. Have to say they are fantastic even over the winter very predicable and grip really hard in the dry. Plus they seem not to be wearing at all (currently 6000km on them).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Glad someone else thinks the MT feels & sounds like a stroker! I have had heaps - RFV, TZR, RX-S, and the one uppermost in mind is my old 80s Yam Enduro DT125!

Both riding position & peaky nature of the engine - goes (increasing pitch) "pnaaaaa-pahpahpah-pnaaaaaaa ...."

:)

Brings back memories of a TDR250 I had that used to eat rear tyres....same riding position and brings out the nutter in you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts