Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Brisbane, state of Queensland, Australia - currently (November 14th 2014) the capital of the world while the G20 gabfest is on!

I'm 75yo, currently a BMW R1200 R Classic rider, and a rusted-on BMW fan since 1998. But I am now very interested in the upcoming FJ-09 (or whatever it's to be called here). I like the concept of a lighter, somewhat less powerful bike to accommodate my ageing and less-flexible limbs, but still allowing me to do some reasonably long-distance touring.

Had a test-ride on an early FZ-09 (here called the MT-09) but found its throttle response dicey. Also it wouldn't have suited my touring intentions too well. Sound familiar! If Yamaha has fixed that issue, and any others, and if the new version is as competitively-priced as it should be I may well be an early buyer!

Early 2015 would suit me, but there is currently no information as to when, and at what price, the FJ may be here. I'll be touring Tasmania with a handful of other BMW-ers mid-February, so shortly after that would be very timely. That trip, including to and from home, will cover about 6000km (3600 miles) and I'd prefer to do it on the BMW rather than on a brand-new bike, even if available then.

Meantime, I'll continue to look in here from time to time to try to update myself on the basics - good, bad, or indifferent - of the bike's FZ predecessor.

Cheers...

Lawrence of Suburbia ('39 model)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Greetings...Wow 75 that's awesome got 23 on me, i have the mt-09 and hoping for a more dirt oriented model to come maybe. Hoping to get a 2up Tasmanian ride in myself in 2015 on the 09.

Happy browsing and welcome.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome from WA :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome from Vic;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
About 3 weeks ago I had reason to contact Yamaha Australia on another matter and I asked about the FJ09 and they told me there is no plan at this time to bring it or "any faired 09" bike to OZ.

I too am very interested in replacing my V-Strom if they do bring them in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
They will have one at the bike show in Melbourne on the weekend and my local dealer said they will be getting them.
I am going down on Saturday for a look.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Laurence, they had the tracer at the show in Melbourne on the weekend. They are supposed to be here in Feb-March retail about$14500. Red and Matt grey.
You should be able to order them now if you were keen.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, foz and others. Pleased to know the bike actually exists in Oz after all! I'll keep an eye on AMCN as they usually cover the Shows pretty well. There's still no official news from Yamaha Oz as to its official position - I'll follow them up.

$14,500 sounds about what I'd expected - I wonder if that includes the hard panniers?

And is 'Tracer' now the official name for the FJ-09 in Oz??

L of S

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think they are calling it a MT09 tracer, but don't quote me

Attachments

Reactions: MTsRUs

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again, foz. What were your initial impressions? Did there seem to be much interest/ reaction from people?

L of S

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks again, foz. What were your initial impressions? Did there seem to be much interest/ reaction from people?

L of S
Everyone including me were over drooling all over the new R1. That thing just looks fully sick bro. The Tracer didn't do a lot for me as it's just not my type of bike. I wanted to have a look though as it has a few features that would of been good, aka a bigger fuel tank for starters.
The new MT09 race blue looks like the pick for 2015;)

I should add I don't have a Mt09 yet,,,,not till next April/May:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Everyone including me were over drooling all over the new R1. That thing just looks fully sick bro. The Tracer didn't do a lot for me as it's just not my type of bike. I wanted to have a look though as it has a few features that would of been good, aka a bigger fuel tank for starters.
The new MT09 race blue looks like the pick for 2015;)

I should add I don't have a Mt09 yet,,,,not till next April/May:cool:
I'm in the same boat April /May should see one of these floating about the hills of Adelaide

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts