Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

A little history, I have been riding dirtbikes for about 8 years (mostly trails, desert, and a few desert races), and got my first street bike exactly 1 year ago. I bought a 2003 SV650 with 1,100 miles on it. I have been riding that for the last year, commuting, canyon riding and a few track days (Button Willow and Chuckwalla) and put about 8,000 miles on it. Before I bought the bike I really wanted an FZ-09 but didn't want a brand new bike, or that much horsepower on my first street bike. I was comfortable pretty quickly on the SV, and now it is time for a new bike. So today I sold my SV650.

IMG_1959.jpg

Now I am looking to buy a Cadmium Yellow 2015 FZ-09. This will be my first new motorcycle or car purchase so any helpful tips on that process would be appreciated. I will be paying cash for the bike. I have seen some threads on what others have paid for this bike in the so cal area, so I think I have a good idea of what to expect price wise.

I have already signed up for a track day at Laguna Seca June 20th and am pretty excited to ride that track. My only concern is the suspension, based on all the reviews and opinions on the forum. That being said, I rode my SV at the track with completely stock suspension and felt that it was sufficient. It could have definitely been better, but was not dangerous. I would prefer to ride the bike stock, and get a feel for whether I need suspension or not myself (185lb rider). But seeing as the track day is just over a month away and there is a sale on penske shocks right now I am considering just ordering a double clicker to be sure I have it in time for the track (I would probably want this shock down the road anyways, and plan to keep this bike for quite a while.) In your opinion if I was content with the stock SV650 suspension, would I be okay on the stock FZ at the track?

Also what is the consensus on the stock tires for the track? I have been running Dunlop Q3's on my SV650.

Here are a couple pictures from a Chuckwalla track day with my friend on the ducati 848 about a month ago. (Hopefully with more than 73 hp we will be a little closer speed wise at the track.)

IMG_1908 (1280x853).jpg

IMG_1909 (1280x853).jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't think you'll be happy with the suspension on the track. I'm your weight, and even with max rebound on the stock suspension the bike moved around too much when I hit an expansion joint on a freeway transition ramp. Fork springs are too soft too. Suggest you get at least higher rate fork springs and 7.5 wt fork oil, and the Penske shock with probably a 575# spring. Problem is, the shock will take 3 weeks to ship so time will be tight. Check with Nick (stoltecmoto.com)- great guy to work with and very knowledgeable. I've had my FZ at Laguna Seca twice, and twice at Sears Point- all with CLASS as you're doing. Very fun. I'm running Michelin Pilot Power 3's, but next tires will be the Q3's.

I have a couple of pictures posted in my profile page from last November at Laguna Seca. Also an unintentional "selfie" from Sears Point a few weeks ago...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have a couple of pictures posted in my profile page from last November at Laguna Seca. Also an unintentional "selfie" from Sears Point a few weeks ago...
whoops. We're you ok? Major damage to your bike?

·
Registered
233 Posts
whoops. We're you ok? Major damage to your bike?
All in all, could have been a lot worse. Wasn't going that fast- first lap of the last session of the day, second turn (cold tires). Didn't think that I was going too fast, but apparently just fast enough- maybe 40 when I went down. Woodcraft frame saver sacrificed itself, and the T-Rex case cover also helped but the clutch cover did get some scratches when the bike went into the dirt on the side of the track. Bar end also ground down a bit as was the end of the brake lever. Tank scratched- emblem and paint in front of it) but only one tiny ding in the top from the switch gear contacting it. It doesn't touch normally so the force must have bent the bar enough to cause that. I had removed the plastic and signals so no other damage. As for me, not a scratch. One minor bruise to my right hip. There's a picture of the damage uploaded in my profile.

·
Registered
472 Posts
As far as getting the best price, "CASH IS KING" Do your homework for comparing prices(zoomthelist, cycle trader, this forum) Walk into the stealership, find the sales manager, flash the cash. Be prepared to deal or walk out. (you have the aces in your hand) Call around and see who can quote the best prices. Work deals with gear or extended warranty involved. I know dickering over prices can be time consuming but think about the mods you can buy with the saved money. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I disagree about cash being a bargaining benefit. Dealers make money on financing kickbacks, so they actually prefer that. They get paid immediately either way. And showing that you have the cash up front just shows that you can afford it and they may be less likely to make a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Welcome! :) Hope you find the color and deal you're looking for!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I teach MC safety for the military in Monterey so I am down there 2-3 weekends per month.

If you have any questions or need help modding the bike, let me know. I have done quite a bit to my FZ09

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I put stiffer springs on my brother's FZ before he took it on the track and he was still in need of more. It was pogoing when he braked hard for the corners. He promptly had Traxxion revalve his cartridge with more compression and rebound dampening. I went with full cartridges and a Penske double clicker on my bike and the difference is day and night better. He weighs 185 with no gear, same as me. If you are an intermediate rider, then your stock tires will be toast after your track day. I am going to go up to a 190/55-ZR17 (180 stock) on the back on my next tire change for more lean angle. I am getting to the edge of the back tire with leftover on the front. The Q3 sounds like the track tire to have from what others are saying.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I went to start getting a feel for prices at the dealer today and came back with a yellow FZ-09. Originally was quoted $10,900 and ended up walking out the door for $9,100, so overall pretty happy with the deal I got. It was dark when I got back, so took out for about 10 miles. Bike seems to have quite a bit of low end, but less engine braking than I was expecting (although I was pretty low in the rpm's which may have something to do with it.). The steering/bike feels very light and responsive compared to my sv.

In the truck at the dealership.
image.jpg

At the dealership.
image.jpg

I did like seeing the 0 on the odometer.
image.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got to take the bike out for a break in ride in the mountains yesterday. So far really like the bike, suspension felt pretty soft going over the dips in the roads, wasn't going fast through turns, so we will see how it does as I get more miles on the bike/tires. The seat definitely keeps you pushed forward towards the tank.

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts