Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I hope you all are well.

My name is Bill, new to this forum.

My riding experience is about 30k on a couple GSX-R600s, and 1000mi on a 2009 Yamaha R1 last summer.

I bought the R1 very spur of the moment, and regretted it because it was just too much motor for me, and my gf thought the passenger seat was uncomfy, and the exhaust was really hot.

I have a deposit on a graphite FZ-09 and am hesitant to pull the trigger.

All the complaints about the suspension and fly by wire fuel mapping have me doubting the purchase.

I am 6'4'', roughly 270lbs and wonder if my weight will make the suspension even worse?

And the R1 had fly by wire, and was a beast of an engine, but I didn't have any gripes with the on/off throttle experience, so I wonder if I'd even notice it as being an issue on the FZ.

Also, I'm curious if any of you have had passengers, and how comfy that seat is.

The price is great, but still, I don't want to have to put money into it in terms of suspension.

Is the suspension really suspect, or is it over judgemental magazine professional riders HAVING to find some issue on a bike with such a low price point?

Any tall/big riders on here?

Your riding experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and take it easy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I felt the suspension was too soft solo, I'm 225. There are several options for the suspension ranging from a few 100 to a few 1000. My wife has her own bike, but others here who ride 2 up have added trunk cases and/or modified seats. The throttle issues are also an easy fix.

You will need to work on it for 2 up for sure. IMO, it is not the intended purpose of this bike, but it can be done.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yeah, Ari Henning sent out the ECU or whatever for $200, thats not bad.

The suspension being too soft.. it is adjustable right? Did you tune it to the firmest setting? (On all my bikes, I just rode them, I never adjusted the suspension, so I really don't know what I'm talking about, or how to do it, or anything like that.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Upgrade the suspension and seat and you won't be disappointed. However, if you do not upgrade I think it would be disappointing for a guy your size..... Based on the info you have given.
My2¢

The suspension being too soft.. it is adjustable right? Did you tune it to the firmest setting? (On all my bikes, I just rode them, I never adjusted the suspension, so I really don't know what I'm talking about, or how to do it, or anything like that.)

Then you go and post that you have never adjusted suspensions before....... This changes my answer.
Stiffen it up with dampening and ride it!

·
Registered
225 Posts

Only pre-load and rebound is adjustable-yes I tried, nothing compares to "proper suspension". The fork springs are sized for somewhere in the 160lb range and the non-adjustable compression is way too soft for me-others disagree fairly strongly.
It really depends on how and where you ride.

Oh and Stoltec Moto here on this forum will fix the ecu issues for $125

·
Registered
474 Posts
The fuel mapping in is not the biggest concern here. The combined weight of you and your gal is going to be very close the max of the bike. How much 2-up riding do you plan on doing ?

The suspension and seat would need to be addressed right out of the gate IMO.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
You will have to do something with the suspension or lose about 120lbs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
my wife loves riding on the back of the FZ-09. we have a combined weight of 310 pounds.. we came from a harley sportster 1200 with a backrest and she likes this bike better. I also have a 2009 R1 which is my baby. no plans on getting rid of her.. if you sell the R1 and put a little money in modding your FZ-09 you will not be disappointed. I love our new bike.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
Suspension will be a must for you and so will the seat...
I got a custom seat done because my wife would not go on the back after one ride and it cost me less than $280.

Suspension will need to be beefed up for you. I'm 205 fully geared and felt the lackluster performance.
What I did was add some heavier fork springs to the front and will be adding a Nitron shock to the rear.
Total will be under $1,000 to have a custom tailored suspension.

It will be hard to beat this bike cost wise and smiles per gallon wise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I weigh close to the same as you. If you dial in all of the available preload and all of the available rebound damping the bike will be "OK" for just you, if you are used to riding bikes without adjusting them. That is not to say it wouldn't be much better with upgraded suspension especially being a little aggressive in less than smooth corners. I'm in the process of getting the components to upgrade mine, but have about 1100 miles on it adjusted like I recommended above. I don't know how big your GF is, but adding even another 100 lbs is probably pushing the limits of the bike, and I can't imagine the passenger seat would be very comfortable. The ECU reflash cures the throttle issues, and is only $125 from Stoltec. You can get a better seat for about $150, and you could make quite an improvement to the suspension with springs and a used super sport shock for about $300. I would say your biggest issue will be determining whether you can carry your gf on it or not!

Mike

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't think this is the bike for you. You should get an ugly bike like the super tenere, or something more suited for sports touring.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
not the bike for you and a passenger, look for a sport tourer like a yamaha FJR 1300? or any used sport tourer if you want a comfy ride for you and a passenger, I bought the fz 09 and love it but i'm 170 and pretty much just plan on commuting and hooliganism on the bike I have a Triumph trophy for long distance/ comfort!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn. But I love naked bikes! I've been wanting a Speed Triple since 05. I am looking at a 2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 with 21k for $7100 though... I'd ride with the gf occasionally... mostly by myself... i'm still tempted by the FZ-09.... $125-$200 fix for the ECU, and what for the suspension? Are the Yamaha dealerships aware of this and cool with tweaking the FZ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Damn. But I love naked bikes! I've been wanting a Speed Triple since 05. I am looking at a 2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 with 21k for $7100 though... I'd ride with the gf occasionally... mostly by myself... i'm still tempted by the FZ-09.... $125-$200 fix for the ECU, and what for the suspension? Are the Yamaha dealerships aware of this and cool with tweaking the FZ?
If you like it and are willing to either live with the issues or put some $ into getting it to "fit" better, then go for it. More than likely, if you get on it with a stock setup the way the dealer gives it to you out the door, this is most likely what will happen. First you'll be tentative and ride conservatively for a little bit since it's new to you and unfamiliar. For the most part it will feel okay. The ride is cushy when you're just cruising. Then you're going to get more comfortable and start to push it. Not being a suspension guru (like most of us aren't), you'll probably think it feels okay but a little "floaty". If you're not smooth with the throttle in the turns, especially when pushing it harder on a road that is a little bumpy or uneven, you'll most likely feel like it's not as well planted as your previous bikes. When forks are too soft, the bike feels twitchy and will tend to turn in too easily. Then when you get on the gas mid-turn, the front end will lift and this can make the bike run wide. This is compounded by a soft rear (the bike's, not yours!). That being said, it's probably tolerable if you're not used to worrying about things like suspension.

When you toss another person on the back, it's going to get dicey. Hard stops will probably compress the forks almost all the way. Acceleration will tax the rear and make the front end feel vague. Because of a lack of real range of adjustability, the answer is going a rebuild of the forks with stiffer springs and a replacement rear. Unless you both weigh 80 pounds, two up on this bike with a stock suspension is more just to get from point A to point B... it's not about run, spirited riding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are the Yamaha dealerships aware of this and cool with tweaking the FZ?
I don't think you will be able to rely on the dealerships to help you with the reflash or the suspension upgrades. However, you can contact Nick at Stoltec Moto from this board, and he'll be glad to help you.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi - I can attest to the 'throttle issues' some people have mentioned (I've found 'em)....but I'd say the throttle issue is as follows, to be aware of:

* very 'snatchy' on/off throttle response in lower gears (primarily 1-2 gear) below around 4k rpms.....only an issue if you're constantly traffic crawling like me

It's by no means 'awful' but definitely noticeably different from my 955cc Triumph Daytona....I guess ride a taller gear if you can and make sure your passenger hold tight on in lower gears so she doesn't get shaken by the jerky throttle...

As for suspension, I'm only 175lbs so I don't sense A LOT of wallow (bit of fork dive though on heavy braking) but when I ride 2-up with my girlfriend who is about 125lbs (combined ~300lb) the bike does feel really mushy.....I've only had it about 2 weeks though and haven't moused with preload/sag or compression damping too much though....

just and FYI from what I've felt.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I am 6'1", 235 and find the FZ09 very small. I like it but there is no room on the back for my wife (5'10") and I would never try to take her on it.

My wife rides on the back of my R1100RT and it works out very well for us.

I don't recommend the FZ09 if very much 2 up riding is part of your planned use. I would recommend many other bikes like an FZ1, FJR1300 or Super Tenere in the Yamaha product line. There are many other for other brands as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts