Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

New Indian Scout - Wow!

15K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Motorazr 
#1 ·
Looks pretty damn good, 100 hp and 72 foot/pounds of torque with a wet weight of 538 pounds (no fuel), and only $10,999:

See less See more
#38 ·
If I was buying an Indian, it would be the FTR-S.
I rode this FTR Carbon at IMS last week. To me, it felt like it was built in someone's garage - for $17k. The Indian guy said they went to Daytona this year with a dozen FTR's and left with only five FTR's intact. "Guys think they can ride a sportbike but they can't." He said one FTR was totaled with less than 100 miles on the odometer. Another one came back from the test ride with the rear fender and taillight ground off on the pavement from a long vertical wheelie. Another vendor said, "Yeah, the Indian stand was behind us. They had an area behind their truck for all their wrecked bikes." I didn't visit HD at all - not my kind of bike, not my kind of people. I discovered that the Indians aren't either. But if you want to impress people who have no idea what they're looking at...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

#6 ·
Yoyodyne; do you feel okay? Have you suffered a fall? Seriously, regardless of my thoughts about cruisers, I physically can't ride them. If my feet aren't under me, and I'm not leaning slightly forward, I'm in pain. The main things that prompted my buying an FZ09 were its' lightness and ergos. I am pleased on both counts. I bought a Guzzi Stone when they first came out. I spent the first week end moving the pegs back, and making new shift linkages. I tried to make it a standard. It was an exercise in futility. I put 15k on the bike that year. I loved the engine, but couldn't get comfortable on it. I really took a hit selling it, as they're so uncommon. The running joke was; if you see two Guzzis in a parking lot, it's a rally! Short answer, I only allow myself to become enamored with bikes I know I can ride comfortably.

#7 ·
I was honestly surprised at the design, looks sharp!

I hope to ride one this weekend after checking out the H-D Livewire out in Seattle area. Should be a fun weekend.

Reactions: beck
#9 ·
With the price tag and engine size, this is targeted at Sportster buyers.....and I really dont think they are going to be interested in this bike......

#10 ·
good point - if it was cheaper than the 1200 sportster you may see more people jumping ship (like what Yammi did with the Bolt compared to the 883). Given the specs are so similar - I would bet more people go with the harley just because of the brand recognition alone.

#12 ·
Looks like a Harley V Rod motor.
Well, they are both V twins....other than that, they really dont have much in common.....

#15 ·
This was the 1st I'd seen of the Indian here and it's...funny-looking.
Not funny, ha-ha. Funny strange.
Pass.
I'd get a Bonneville 1st. Way 1st.

#16 ·
The Harley crowd is a fickle bunch. The V Rods never really were as hot as they should have been. I ridden a couple and they are quick. But most one percenters would rather have the 100 year old flawed design bikes. Kudos to Indian ( Polaris) for a clean sheet design and not a clone. Time will tell if the Harley group will accept them or not. Anyhow DILLIGAF?

#22 ·
It's not the kind of bike that I would buy, but i'm happy that Polaris is making it, and I hope that they do well. regardless of your preference of style of bike, we all benefit from a larger market.

Reactions: beck
#30 ·
First let me begin by saying that I am not a cruiser fan but I love both the chief and the scout. I think Indian will give Harley a run for the money. They look great AND perform. Victory is not a bad bike for a cruiser but it does not have the heritage that the Indian name invokes and its styling is just same old thing. I am glad that I bought some Polaris stock.

#35 · (Edited)
No bike has the soul of a Harley. I like my FZ-09 but it does not have what the Harley has. The bike is solid and comes to life when you turn it on. If you think a Harley has no power, go ride a 1200 Sportster. The torque is crazy. You have 70 hp but it's in your face. I love the bike in a different way than I do the FZ. If you love Harleys, then you will understand. If not, that's fine too. You don't have to make fun of people who like Harleys.

That said, I love my bike but I am not in a position to ride it. The bike is beyond my comfort level, it's too much weight and I'm not ready for how it handles. I have been on the back of my bike and the bike is great, if you can handle it. I wish I could. I am getting rid of it 'cause I'm not keeping something that makes me feel like I'm going to crash. I don't feel that way with the FZ.

Back to the OP- the new Indian looks nice. I like the styling of it. My dad used to ride Harleys and Indians so I have a soft spot for anything even called Indian. These aren't "real" Indian motorcycles, but it's nice to see that they have resurrected the brand.

Reactions: Steve101
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.