Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New owner here in the greater Atlanta area. I've been riding for 23 years. I started on a KX80 and owned a KX125, 250 and a 500 before transitioning to the street. Since then I've had a 1974 CB360, 1998 CBR600 (with hideous Smoking Joe replica stickers), 2004 KLR650, 2007 Versys, 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom, 2010 Vulcan 900 Classic, and a 2012 Road Glide Custom. I like all different kinds of riding, unfortunately like most people I was only able to afford to have 1 bike at a time. So I'd skip around from one "genre" to another and get my fix for a while. I have finally reached the point in my life where I have the resources to have a collection. I did something today that I've never done before. I bought a new bike without trading or selling my current bike to buy it! So that brings me to the forum. Today I picked up a rapid red FZ-09 to park next to my Harley Ultra Limited. It's so nice to look in the garage and have a choice! I considered several models before settling on the FZ. Namely the Ninja 1000 ABS, Z1000, CB1000R, Aprilia shiver, and the VFR1200. I picked the bike up after work today and headed toward home. I only live 12 miles from the dealer but somehow I had 66 miles on the bike when I got home. I KNOW I made the right choice. Now I just need to decide on my dual sport to complete my stable. Thanks everyone for all of the information contributed to this site. It was instrumental in making my choice.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Aloha and welcome to the forum. You'll love the 09, sorry about the choice of color, though...lol
You'll discover that there's a bit of a friendly battle about color choice by a few of the more immature members on here.
There's a lot of great members on here as you've discovered, with decades of experience. Any questions at all, please feel free to ask, I guarantee there's someone with an answer for you...

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new FZ. You might as well go ahead and put a for sale sign on the Harley.....it's going to be sitting quite a bit now that you have discovered the FZ! :cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Aloha and welcome to the forum. You'll love the 09, sorry about the choice of color, though...lol
You'll discover that there's a bit of a friendly battle about color choice by a few of the more immature members on here.
There's a lot of great members on here as you've discovered, with decades of experience. Any questions at all, please feel free to ask, I guarantee there's someone with an answer for you...
Welcome to the FZ Addiction. Smart color choice -- From your reading here I'll bet you Knew the Rapid Red is the Fastest FZ and the owners of the other choices are Red with envy. :cool:

Again Welcome & look forward to hearing about your impression of your New Bike. :cool:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Welcome to the fold. You did make the right choice. This bike will bring out the kid in you I'm sure. The immature members DaBraddah speaks of are all in their 40's and 50's so take that with a grain of salt. Regardless of color the FZ09 is a great bike. You are a lucky person to have one. Wheelie on dudes!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome! I'm in Gwinnett

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
What size (cc) dual sport are you pondering?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new FZ. You might as well go ahead and put a for sale sign on the Harley.....it's going to be sitting quite a bit now that you have discovered the FZ! :cool:
Yes. Resistance is useless! =)

Welcome!!

-eddie down the road in Columbus.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Welcome. I sold my WR250R to get the FZ with the intention of keeping my CBR954RR. I knew right away that I was no longer going to want to ride the CBR after deciding the power of the FZ was stout, so I sold the CBR. Since you had the Yellow with purple 600,here is a pic of my VFR with an Erion Racing theme.
VFRdougside1.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow many responses!
1. I didn't "choose" my color. I called my 5 closest dealer asking if they had an 09 in stock. They all laughed at me and told me they can't keep them on the floor. That afternoon my local dealer called and said one was delivered that wasn't spoken for. It happened to be red. I like all the colors but I'm not crazy about the blue rims. Yamaha blue is such a cool color blue I'm not sure why they felt the need to put such a purplish tint in there.
2. I'll always have a Harley! I love all motorcycles but when it comes to long range touring, which wifey and I do a lot of, you can't beat the FLT. I would argue that they handle WAY better than people give them credit for, especially the 2014's with the new front end. We did Daytona and Laconia on ours this year and love the thing. But...it definitely won't wheelie.
3. 12Vdub I'm in Sugar Hill. We might be neighbors.
4. What dual sport, that is a fine question. I had a KLR650 and it was a blast. I had it set up for motorcycle camping and did quite a few 600 mile days on it (sheepskin seat covers rule). But, it was a pig in the dirt. But...all the dirt is an hour + away so any bike that is good in the dirt will be a bitch to ride to the trails. So, I really need to do some soul searching and decide what I really want to do with it. I really like the idea of the KTM 550EXC because it's a real trail bike. The KLR was comfortable enough to really get out there on and explore a lot of places. If you average the two out maybe you get the Honda 650 XL? I won't have the money saved up until March so I have plenty of time to think it over.
5. Doug, my CBR was hideous. It was an R title that the previous owner sanded and rattle canned the fairings and then put replica stickers on. But, it ran fantastic. Whoever repaired it after it was totaled really straightened it out perfectly. I had a blast on it for a while but really missed being able to head down a dirt road so I traded it on the KLR. At the time I was in the navy living in VA beach. I didn't have a car and the KLR was my only transportation. We had no garage so it lived outside in the weather. It was the perfect bike for that period of my life.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Wow many responses!
1. I didn't actually "choose" my color. I called my 5 closest "stealers" asking if they had an FZ-09 in stock. They said, WTF, are you crazy..?? They then laughed at me and told me they simply can't keep them on the floor. That afternoon my local dealer called and said one was delivered that wasn't spoken for and it happened to be Red, and worth a huge premium since it's the Rapid Red. I actually like the two colors, and the Gray isn't "that" bad, but I'm not crazy about those blue rims, lol. Yamaha Blue is such a cool Color Blue....I'm not sure why they felt the need to put such a peculiar purplish tint in there.
2. I'll always have a Harley! I love all motorcycles but when it comes to long range touring, which wifey and I do a lot of, you can't beat the FLT. I would argue that they handle WAY better than people give them credit for, especially the 2014's with the new front end. We did Daytona and Laconia on ours this year and love the thing. But...it definitely won't wheelie.
3. 12Vdub I'm in Sugar Hill. We might be neighbors.
4. What dual sport, that is a fine question. I had a KLR650 and it was a blast. I had it set up for motorcycle camping and did quite a few 600 mile days on it (sheepskin seat covers rule). But, it was a pig in the dirt. But...all the dirt is an hour + away so any bike that is good in the dirt will be a bitch to ride to the trails. So, I really need to do some soul searching and decide what I really want to do with it. I really like the idea of the KTM 550EXC because it's a real trail bike. The KLR was comfortable enough to really get out there on and explore a lot of places. If you average the two out maybe you get the Honda 650 XL? I won't have the money saved up until March so I have plenty of time to think it over.
5. Doug, my CBR was hideous. It was an R title that the previous owner sanded and rattle canned the fairings and then put replica stickers on. But, it ran fantastic. Whoever repaired it after it was totaled really straightened it out perfectly. I had a blast on it for a while but really missed being able to head down a dirt road so I traded it on the KLR. At the time I was in the navy living in VA beach. I didn't have a car and the KLR was my only transportation. We had no garage so it lived outside in the weather. It was the perfect bike for that period of my life.
Great post. I fixed (clarified) a few things for ya....Hope you don't mind :wave:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts