Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I own a 09' drz 400 supermoto. Great bike and love it.

Now with this FZ-09 it looks like it's a new model?
I have no followed yamaha to closely but it looks to be a new bike? I also noticed there is a FZ-07
What is the difference between the 2?

Main things I am Interested in is riders feedback on the bike. I have seen a few here used locally on CL with low mileage and they are already selling them? I am kinda curious as to why so soon?

I see it's a flyby wire throttle and I saw someone mention something about that, it needed to be refinded a lil?
I am planning on going down to the local dealer to have a look at some and see what they are all about.

Looking for some feedback from current owners and riders who have them... What do you like about the bike?
What don't you like about the bike?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
There are about a gazillion threads in this forum that will answer those questions for you........the search engine is your friend.

Reactions: Da Braddah

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Google search site:www.fz09.org [what you want to search]

In a nutshell fz07 is a parallel twin vs fz is a triple cylinder (more power/slightly heavier)

Each bike has suspension short comings but depends on your riding style and weight.

Some people don't like the snatchiness of the 09 throttle but that's preference as well. You can ride it without a flash no problem, does a flash help, sure.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If you love super moto bikes you will love the FZ-09.

I am an old dirt biker/racer and the FZ09 feels like a big 450 except a lot more power and much smoother.

It does great wheelies too.

Do a search on youtube. A number of guys have taken them off road doing slides and jumps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Google search site:www.fz09.org [what you want to search]

In a nutshell fz07 is a parallel twin vs fz is a triple cylinder (more power/slightly heavier)

Each bike has suspension short comings but depends on your riding style and weight.

Some people don't like the snatchiness of the 09 throttle but that's preference as well. You can ride it without a flash no problem, does a flash help, sure.
So ur saying with a flash it makes the throttle response a lil less crazy and makes it a bit more smooth and bearable?

I purchased a new 2013 ktm duke about a year ago and sold it right away with only 300 miles on it. It had the fly by wire throttle which was a lil weird. But the thing that got me the most about the bike was how much the dam thing vibrated.... Hated it!

I purchased the duke in hopes to have something like the supermoto but with fuel injection, more power etc....
I'm glad I did trade in or sell the sm to buy the duke.
So now I am here.... Looking at the FZ-09. Thinking about buying it and if I fall in love with it might sell the SM. But I have to be sure.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
So ur saying with a flash it makes the throttle response a lil less crazy and makes it a bit more smooth and bearable?

I purchased a new 2013 ktm duke about a year ago and sold it right away with only 300 miles on it. It had the fly by wire throttle which was a lil weird. But the thing that got me the most about the bike was how much the dam thing vibrated.... Hated it!

I purchased the duke in hopes to have something like the supermoto but with fuel injection, more power etc....
I'm glad I did trade in or sell the sm to buy the duke.
So now I am here.... Looking at the FZ-09. Thinking about buying it and if I fall in love with it might sell the SM. But I have to be sure.
if you're talking about the 690 duke - i believe that's a single cylinder? so i'm not surprised about the amount of vibration. I came from a vtwin sv650 which vibrated quite a bit at higher speeds as well. I dont get much of any vibration on the triple - i can't speak to the 07 parallel twin.

As for throttle snatchiness - you can reflash the ECU - guys are also doing power commanders or G2 throttle tubes - or a mix of all of them - i haven't done anything yet - i'm not a canyon rider (not many here in NJ) and i don't go to the track so with that being said - i've noticed its snatchiness but i just haven't done anything about it yet.

Net there are a lot of solutions out there to fix it - all of which are under $300. For the price - it's hard to beat this bike but it does have short comings so be prepared to drop some extra coin to fix them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Currently I own a 09' drz 400 supermoto. Great bike and love it.

Now with this FZ-09 it looks like it's a new model?
I have no followed yamaha to closely but it looks to be a new bike? I also noticed there is a FZ-07
What is the difference between the 2?

Main things I am Interested in is riders feedback on the bike. I have seen a few here used locally on CL with low mileage and they are already selling them? I am kinda curious as to why so soon?

I see it's a flyby wire throttle and I saw someone mention something about that, it needed to be refinded a lil?
I am planning on going down to the local dealer to have a look at some and see what they are all about.

Looking for some feedback from current owners and riders who have them... What do you like about the bike?
What don't you like about the bike?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
The 07 is a fantastic little light bike. The only reason I didn't buy it over the 09 is that I wanted more than 75bhp. If you don't I'd say it's a better bike than the 09.

The 09 is very quick - more power and torque than an R6 but with less weight.

The seat is poor. Wearing leathers it's ok but in jeans I tend to slide downhill and end up sitting on my plums.

I don't find the throttle response that bad. It can be snatchy but I don't find it happens often.

The 07 footrests are positioned further forward than on the 09; the 07 has narrower bars, so the riding postion is very different and less aggressive. The 07 seat is probably thinner.

The rear shock on both bikes is crap, the 07 is a little worse though as it bounces around more. Forks on the 07 felt ok to me, while the 09 is soft and dives like a submarine. For the price the 07 is a bargain, the 09 less so.

Ride both and see if you like either.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The throttle snatchiness of the 09 is most evident at small throttle openings, so low speed maneuvers require some care. The seat is horrible for me... other than the soft suspension (remember this bike was built as an urban street fighter), I have few complaints (exception = see CCT). Tons of power, well balanced, nimble to the point of reading your mind (body follows head)... more fun than a sack of mallets! Burns a liter of fuel more per 100 kms than I'm used to (average 5), but having that responsive power on hand when you want it more than makes up for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts