Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a happy new owner of a yellow/black 2015 FZ-09. I bought it in February, and the weather has been rough up here in northwestern PA for the most part since then. I only put about 60 miles on it so far and have been taking it relatively easy with it being cold and there being so much gravel on the road. I also have a couple of other bikes (KLR650 and Super Tenere). But, I'll have it broken in before too long now that the weather is finally getting better! I don't normally like to make snap judgments, but so far this bike seems awesome! I've adjusted the suspension and it seems like it'll be just fine for the type or riding I do and for the type or roads we have out here. I've noticed that there are a lot of FZs on the member map not too far from me, and those are just the people who added themselves to the map. Man, they must have sold a ton of these bikes around here! Anyway, I wanted to say hi. Maybe I'll see some of you out and about.

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the ride. It won't be long until the roads are clean and the temps rise.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Welcome & congrats on the bike

·
Registered
806 Posts
Welcome & congrats your not to far away from me we'll have to meet somewhere and go ride some weekend !

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Welcome to the fun. This must feel like a flyweight compared to the Tenere. Great choice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the fun. This must feel like a flyweight compared to the Tenere. Great choice!
You're right. I rode the Tenere today and then the FZ-09. I love the Tenere, but it's so nice to have something smaller and lighter!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going from klr - fz09 is difficult haha
It's funny, if I go from the Tenere to the KLR, the KLR feels really light; not small, but light! I'm pretty short, about 5'7", so the KLR took some getting used to. I just did the "doohickey" on the KLR a couple of weeks ago. It only had 5000 miles on it and it really needed to be done. I thought I was going to open up the bike and find out I was wasting my time/money. But, sure enough, the spring used up all it's tension already. Luckily, the chain itself was still tight. Anyway, I though I'd mention it since you have a KLR too and you probably know what I'm referring to! I'm going to try to ride the KLR some today. I plan on keeping the FZ-09 mostly stock (I just added a small windscreen) and it'll be the warm/hot weather bike. The KLR and Tenere are much nicer when it's cold out like this time of year!

I know this is a FZ-09 site, but I have to say, the KLR is a pretty cool bike. I don't think I would own a KLR as my only bike since it truly is slow compared to the typical motorcycle. But, as a second bike, it's great to have for dirt roads, crappy back roads, and offroading. Having said that, I really need to spend more time taking it for some light off roading. I don't have much offroad experience on dual sports, but the little time I spent has been a ton of fun. Do you know of any legal public places to go offroading between Mercer and where you live, or maybe even some dirt roads that are so rarely used that you feel like you're on a trail and not a road? I'm having trouble using the KLR like I envisioned. I was thinking I'd take it on long rides down trails to get from point A to point B. However, those type of trails don't seem to exist anywhere near where I live without trespassing! I plan on going to the Allegheny National Forest (ANF) a few times this year after buying a season pass. Other than that, there's a small public OHV park close to me, but ANF looks like it would be a blast and more what I'm looking for. I really need to get better offroad tires soon too....

But, back to the FZ-09: That bike is just what I was looking for. I rode it yesterday for about 60 miles and nearly froze to death. But, it is so fun and just so easy to hop on and go blast around. I think that my other bikes are going to start getting jealous when they see how much time I'm spending on the FZ once the weather gets a lot nicer!

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new FZ........I really like that Yellow/Black combo.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's funny, if I go from the Tenere to the KLR, the KLR feels really light; not small, but light! I'm pretty short, about 5'7", so the KLR took some getting used to. I just did the "doohickey" on the KLR a couple of weeks ago. It only had 5000 miles on it and it really needed to be done. I thought I was going to open up the bike and find out I was wasting my time/money. But, sure enough, the spring used up all it's tension already. Luckily, the chain itself was still tight. Anyway, I though I'd mention it since you have a KLR too and you probably know what I'm referring to! I'm going to try to ride the KLR some today. I plan on keeping the FZ-09 mostly stock (I just added a small windscreen) and it'll be the warm/hot weather bike. The KLR and Tenere are much nicer when it's cold out like this time of year!

I know this is a FZ-09 site, but I have to say, the KLR is a pretty cool bike. I don't think I would own a KLR as my only bike since it truly is slow compared to the typical motorcycle. But, as a second bike, it's great to have for dirt roads, crappy back roads, and offroading. Having said that, I really need to spend more time taking it for some light off roading. I don't have much offroad experience on dual sports, but the little time I spent has been a ton of fun. Do you know of any legal public places to go offroading between Mercer and where you live, or maybe even some dirt roads that are so rarely used that you feel like you're on a trail and not a road? I'm having trouble using the KLR like I envisioned. I was thinking I'd take it on long rides down trails to get from point A to point B. However, those type of trails don't seem to exist anywhere near where I live without trespassing! I plan on going to the Allegheny National Forest (ANF) a few times this year after buying a season pass. Other than that, there's a small public OHV park close to me, but ANF looks like it would be a blast and more what I'm looking for. I really need to get better offroad tires soon too....

But, back to the FZ-09: That bike is just what I was looking for. I rode it yesterday for about 60 miles and nearly froze to death. But, it is so fun and just so easy to hop on and go blast around. I think that my other bikes are going to start getting jealous when they see how much time I'm spending on the FZ once the weather gets a lot nicer!

Best way is to pull up Google maps and drop a pin somewhere with a lot of green and less grey. Then just explore. I have gotten happily lost so many times on the klr, I love that bike. I'm so attatched to it I'll rebuild it 10000 times before I retire it. It's slow, Heavy, suspension is so so, loud, vibrates, etc... but it's unstoppable, first gear may pull a house over, and I'm pretty sure the motor would run on beer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts