Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys.. I'm new here and new to fz09. Currently I have a Ktm 500exc supermoto. I've ridden dirt bikes my whole life and the Ktm was my first road bike. After having it for 2 years I'm looking for something bigger and better. As much as I love the Ktm the single cylinder and light weight doesn't make it much of a highway bike. Great for urban riding but sucks on the highway. So I'm thinking of selling and gettin a 15 fz09. Love the way they look and after reading a lot about them it sounds like a great bike. I had a few questions tho.. How is it for highway cruisin? I have about a 30 mile commute to work so i wanna take it almost daily. It's hard to find a dealership that let me test drive and I'm nervous about buying another bike and not really being able to take it far. Is it comfortable ride? How is it for 2 people? I really love the upright seating position. My buddy has a gsxr and I just don't think I can get used to the hunched over riding. I'm hoping to pick one up within a week or two so any help would be great. Also should I go for 15 or try and find a left over 14 for a lil cheaper? Thanks

·
Banned
739 Posts
It's a great bike and it goes great on the highway. No wind protection but you should be used to that coming from the KTM. The seat is a bit firm but I don't mind it. They do make softer ones. Try and find a '14 if you can. Suspension can be an issue, plenty of other threads on the topic here. Hopefully you can find a '14 with the ECU already re-flashed.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I too am an old dirt biker. The FZ is like a big dirt bike with a lot more power.

Total blast to ride and way smoother than a single.

Biggest problem is laying off the throttle. I like to twist mine a lot and as a result I have gone thru 6 sets of tires in 13k miles.

Pretty darn comfy to ride all day. I regularly do 150 miles trips, mostly in the twisties and have done over 300 miles in a day on a number of occasions.

Just be prepared to do a few mods for optimal performance.

Bunch of good guys on this forum who will be happy to help you get her all dialed in.

Good luck.

Oh yea I have yet to see anyone on this forum who regrets getting their 09.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
4,349 Posts
Good luck with the purchase. I hardly ever get on a highway with the Fz, but when I do...it handles that duty very well.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
What's up guys.. I'm new here and new to fz09. Currently I have a Ktm 500exc supermoto. I've ridden dirt bikes my whole life and the Ktm was my first road bike. After having it for 2 years I'm looking for something bigger and better. As much as I love the Ktm the single cylinder and light weight doesn't make it much of a highway bike. Great for urban riding but sucks on the highway. So I'm thinking of selling and gettin a 15 fz09. Love the way they look and after reading a lot about them it sounds like a great bike. I had a few questions tho.. How is it for highway cruisin? I have about a 30 mile commute to work so i wanna take it almost daily. It's hard to find a dealership that let me test drive and I'm nervous about buying another bike and not really being able to take it far. Is it comfortable ride? How is it for 2 people? I really love the upright seating position. My buddy has a gsxr and I just don't think I can get used to the hunched over riding. I'm hoping to pick one up within a week or two so any help would be great. Also should I go for 15 or try and find a left over 14 for a lil cheaper? Thanks

Also take a good look at the FZ07 before doing anything.:cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Standard 09 is comfortable for a 30 mile commute, if you're at highway speeds. Wind pressure pushes you back to the thick part of the saddle. Stop & go traffic or install MRA Vario sized windscreen, and you'll mostly be on the forward uncomfortable part of the seat. Stock suspension can be dialed to comfortable: it just moves through the stroke a lot. All of this can be tuned to your liking of course with $$ and tons of aftermarket items. No experience with passengers. Rear spring seems too soft for that. I'm about 5' 11" and 175lbs. with full kit. I have a 2014.

The power is addictive! It'll take 20yrs off your self control. Fun,fun,fun.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Welcome. Don't know where you're located, but there are some good deals available on new 2014s. If your highway riding is more straight commuting versus mostly aggressive twisties, and if you're weight is on the low side, stock suspension should work with minor adjustments. The throttle is twitchy on 2014 and 2015 models. Since the 2015 is supposed to have the ecu flash done, you might end up with a custom reflash in the near future for around $300. I just ordered a G2 Throttle Tamer for my 2015. It supposedly smooths out the response by incorporating a cam slope within the first third of the throttle rotation within it's quarter turn full travel. That up to about 70 mph where there's no more cam effect on out to wide open throttle. All those who installed it on this site and 63 reviews on the G2 site say it works flawlessly. I'll be posting my results once I get it installed. $80 versus the cost of a reflash and even with a reflash you may still end up adding a throttle tamer.

Best of luck with your decision and let us know what you end up with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts