Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm jonesin for this bike, which I rarely do. I'm turning 60 next week, been riding street and dirt all my life, have owned a 2001 FZ1 since that year, picked up a Kawasaki Versys a couple of years back, and sold my Gas Gas 450 last year. The fact that the power to weight of the FZ09 is superior to my FZ1, and the weight is lower than my Versys, and weight bias is like a dirt bike (lots of wheelies), and I can get the same windshield and soft luggage rack as I enjoy on my other bikes (just have to buy the rack mount, saves a lot of dough), and I'm not getting any younger.....

Oh crap! Somebody talk me out of this. I know I have to wait for an aftermarket solution for the throttle snatch, but that will come. The real problem is the frikkin gastank. There is no aftermarket for this that I am aware of for street bikes, so I feel I will have to solve this one myself. Arrgh! The answer I have been telling myself is to wait for Yamaha to release other versions of this bike. But I want to start enjoying the obvious attributes I listed above, and if they build a version more like the Versys, I'm worried they will neuter some improtant aspect (lower output, heavier, change the weight bias, etc)

When I bought my FZ1, I knew it would be one hundred pounds lighter than the lightest sport touring bike to date, the FJR, and I have been enjoying that immensely. In the spirit of that, I think the FZ09 could be that best of both worlds that I currently enjoy with my two bikes.

Okay, please tear this apart and show me the stupidity of my ways, so I can enjoy another season on my beloved bikes, instead of reaching for more only to be shot down by something as simple as not being able to solve the tank issue, which really would be a pain in the arse to live with.

ScanMan

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Welcome on the forum young man! There's already a fix for the throttle. Either the ECU flash or the EJK fuel controller that smooth out throttle response by a bunch. I know fuel tank size can be an issue but remember that the bike average around 40 MPG on mix casual riding. I hit 47 MPG @ 70 MPH constant speed. Not bad at all. 120-150 miles per tank. I'm sure the aftermarket will be picking up very quick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will not experience the gas mileage you speak of. I get better than that with my FZ1, which has the right size tank for my purposes (I hate having to constantly pay attention to where my next gas stop has to happen. Amongst other bikes, my FZ is never the one that needs a drink first.). I am very heavy handed with the throttle (ask my poor Versys), and I am lucky to get in the low to mid 30s with the Kawasaki cause I am constantly wringing its neck. While the FZ09 should split the difference between my current bikes in mileage, I know in my heart it will not. I want it for its inherent playfulness, and play we will.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, Marthy, thank you for your reply. You mention the ECU fix. Does that include removal of the top speed limiter? If so, do we have a new top speed for the bike?

Thanks in advance for any illumination you can provide.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have carried fuel before, and I'm not a fan. I still have to pay attention and pull over and adjust. Just not a solution for me. I want that to be effortless, as in, big enough tank to get the job done. I like my bikes like I like me women, casual, with a big enough tank, eh?.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings ScanMan,

I am 58 and live on San Juan Island, WA and have seriously been considering the FZ-09 also. One of my other bikes is a KTM690SMC, which also has a big problem with throttle snatch right off idle. The solutions included richening up the fuel map, disabling the O2 sensor, and install a G2 throttle tamer. The throttle tamer makes the throttle progressive and less jerky just off of idle…..check out their website.

Cheers,
Roy

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
Uhhh. Too late, young man.
Looks like your shoulder deep in the cult already.
Might as well drink the koolaid and purchase the niner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm so close I can taste it. I knew the throttling would be taken care of in short order, and one of the boys over at the FZ1 site has had the ak20 suspension stacks installed along with a Penske shock out back. I just have to pull the money trigger when I should probably wait a year if I was to be responsible about my situation and resources. But having not gone through a midlife crisis, I am sorely tempted to give myself a happy ending in the form of this bike. I appear to be the only one holding me back. This approach didn't work for shit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts