Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wanted to stop in for a quick intro. I'm 54, started riding in "72" and have owned mostly off road bikes MX and woods bikes, play bikes, ATC's and a quad. Currently have one dirt bike, one cruiser, one touring bike, and a dual sport that I converted to a Supermoto. I have to admit the Supermoto is the most fun of the bunch. The FZ09 has caught my eye since there are no real good supermotos imported these days and a single cylinder just limits how far you can go and with limited comfort. Not looking for high price exotics either. The FZ09 pretty much seems to address those issues. I had been looking at the Kawasaki Versys...until the FZ09 came out.

First question, what is the recommended valve adjustment interval on the bike?

Second question, does anyone (especially the older guys) feel like the pegs are too high and/or too far rear set? I haven't even sat on one yet. I have low back issues and that is a concern for me, the upright seating position of both the Kawasaki and Yamaha appeal to me for this reason.

Tech23

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Valve adj. is at 26,000 miles and for your second question....I'm 60 years old and the peg position on the FZ is great for all day rides for me. I came off of a 600RR street, so the foot pegs on the FZ are like heaven for long rides.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome aboard. I can answer your ergonomics questions from my perspective. I'm 53, have had my FZ about 10 months, with 11k. I've got back problems from L-3 through S-1, bursitis in both hips, and arthritis in both shoulders. I'm 5'10", with a 33" inseam. I find the stock setup; handlebars, seat and pegs all about perfect. Many here have changed their seats though. The narrowness between my knees really helps my hips. The reach to the bars has me upright, which necessitated a small screen to help break up some of the wind. The peg height is fine, but during spirited riding, I sometimes forget to put the balls of my feet on the pegs. This earns me a startling scrape on the side of my boot. When riding for any amount of time. I will straighten my leg out to give my knee a break. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

That's what I was hoping to hear. The local Yamaha dealer agreed to give me a call when they get one in so I suppose I'll know more at that time. That is if they follow up.

Tech23

1 - 4 of 4 Posts