Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've recently convinced my wife that I can no longer live without a motorcycle, only took 13 years, lol. Persistence pays off. I've got to get some financial things cleared up and hope to be on two wheels by the end of summer or early fall.

I grew up riding dirt bikes but this will be my first true street bike. Most of my riding will be on weekends with some occasional commuting and maybe a track day here and there if I'm lucky. I live about a half an hour from Barbers Motorsport Park. At first I was wanting a sport bike like a R6 or ZX6R, but after sitting on several super sports at local dealers I've decided that I'm a little too big (6'5" and 250 lb's) to be even remotely comfortable on one of those. So I started leaning towards a supermoto because I know a couple guys that have them and they all say they're a blast to ride. After researching some supermotos and finding out they are lacking on highway prowess and require more maintenance I started looking at other options. I discovered the FZ-07 and 09 at one of my local dealers and was immediately surprised that I liked the look, I'm normally not a fan of naked bikes. So I started researching the 07 primarily since it seemed like a more beginner friendly ride, and I thought it looked a little better. Then I stumbled across a couple youtube vids of the 09 and was really impressed. I would probably shy away from the 09 because of the power but after learning about the different modes I think it will be right up my alley. I would probably leave it on B mode for a few months and then move up from there.

So I joined up here to say hey and to learn as much as I can about these cool bikes. I'm really leaning towards the 09 now and hope to be on one in a couple months. I have read that the engine leaves nothing to be desired but the suspension is a different story. Since I'm a new rider (on the street) I won't be pushing it very hard so I don't think I'll be reaching the limits of the suspension for awhile but that will probably be my first upgrades other than some cosmetic stuff and a seat. I sat on one this past weekend and the downward slope of the seat had me smashing my balls in the tank just sitting still. It wasn't very comfortable. Does anyone else notice this. Other than that the seating position felt great, kind of like a dirt bike to me. Oh yeah, I'll also have to upgrade the exhaust after listening to some vids. That triple sounds like a freaking super car when it tached out with a nice exhaust. I could see me getting addicted to that noise.

Thanks for having me and I hope to be posting a build thread in a few months.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you're a new rider maybe the FZ-07 would be more forgiving.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Welcome to the mix!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Welcome!

There's many who share your same opinion of the forward slope of the seat. There's some remedies to make some DIY changes on this site.

The motor is fantastic on this bike. Lots of pull from low in the revvs. If you do make it out to Barbers, be sure to post up some pics!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I too grew up on dirt bikes and racing. You will be right at home on the FZ.

It's like a big dirt bike with tons more power and torque.

You are gonna love it. I know I do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum. If you're a new rider maybe the FZ-07 would be more forgiving.
I'm fairly new to riding on the street but definitely not a new rider. I was thinking B mode on the 09 should be pretty similar to the 07. What do you guys think?

Welcome!

There's many who share your same opinion of the forward slope of the seat. There's some remedies to make some DIY changes on this site.

The motor is fantastic on this bike. Lots of pull from low in the revvs. If you do make it out to Barbers, be sure to post up some pics!
I hope to be able to get out there sometime this year. There's several track day organizations that run out there so there's always one there it seems like.

I too grew up on dirt bikes and racing. You will be right at home on the FZ.

It's like a big dirt bike with tons more power and torque.

You are gonna love it. I know I do.
Thanks for the welcome and kind replies. I never did any racing. But a motorcycle was the first vehicle I ever learned to ride, at the ripe old age of three years old. It's actually one of my earliest memories from childhood, riding that motorcycle in my cousins field. I remember the sense of freedom and also the fear at the same time, it was a very addictive combination.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Welcome you may want to throw a leg over the fj to it's a bigger ergonomics may be better suited for a guy who is tall as you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome you may want to throw a leg over the fj to it's a bigger ergonomics may be better suited for a guy who is tall as you.
I actually did just that the other day. I agree that it was much more comfortable but the adventurer style isn't really my thing. I did a little looking around here and found a few easy fixes for the seat slope issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts