Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

· Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,379 Posts
I'm on another forum and some guy bought an R1 with an extended swing arm and the fork tube drop all the way down in the triple clamps asking if everyone thought it was a good 1st bike. (He posted a pictutre) It also had a bald rear tire. Then got pissed at everyone that posted that it was a seriously bad first motorcycle.

· Registered
8 Posts
Hello, do you think 2021-2022 model year mt09 could be the first bike ? I have no riding experience. Could I get used to it in the lowest power mode ?
To the OP: I just noticed that you have an Israel flag in your forum profile. Aren't you limited to a maximum of 47 horsepower on the Israel A1 licence for at least 12 months until you can legally ride an MT09? Similar thing in the EU with 2 years required on an A2 licence before going to the A licence.
(Edit: grammar/readability)

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
To the OP: I just noticed that you have an Israel flag in your forum profile. Aren't you limited to a maximum of 47 horsepower on the Israel A1 licence for at least 12 months until you can legally ride an MT09? Similar thing in the EU with 2 years required on an A2 licence before going to the A licence.
(Edit: grammar/readability)
I dont know the full details, there are age / moto weight to kw ratio / experience requirements to be allowed to ride motos of certain categories, these dont apply to me, legally.

· Registered
8 Posts
Ahhh, I assume you’re eligible for some kind of direct access scheme due to mature age or similar. Even as an experienced rider I returned to motorbikes after an extended break with a 600cc single cylinder (bike prior to that was a GSX1400). The 9 months or so on the 45hp roadster was exactly what I needed to rebuild confidence. I think something like the MT09 would have been too much. Of course everyone is different and your mileage may vary.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ahhh, I assume you’re eligible for some kind of direct access scheme due to mature age or similar.
No

Even as an experienced rider I returned to motorbikes after an extended break with a 600cc single cylinder (bike prior to that was a GSX1400). The 9 months or so on the 45hp roadster was exactly what I needed to rebuild confidence. I think something like the MT09 would have been too much. Of course everyone is different and your mileage may vary.
I gave up on starting with mt09

· Registered
12 Posts
To the op...dont give up on your dream! Motorcycles really are a lot of fun..there are some skills to be learned but the average person picks them up pretty quick. You will have some incredible rides and meet some great people!
+1

My first motorcycle was a 2022 MT09 (35Kw) and it was also chosen without trying any other motorcycle, none. I got on it and I knew it was going to be my first and my last combustion bike.

4 months later I'm still as in love with her as the first day. Of course, I have traveled 4000km without any problems or rookie scares, it's all a matter of being aware and respecting the power of the machine.

CHOOSE WITH YOUR HEART, NOT WITH YOUR HEAD!

· Registered
714 Posts
@triplethreat 09 is more powerful overall, without a doubt. It wont do a 2nd gear clutchless power wheelie in 2 gear from a 20 mph roll...it'll just pull away while an 07 will wheelie with ease. 07 runs out of steam and the top end peters out pretty quick, but the torque hits harder down low. 2nd gear 20 mph roll-ons was my preferred way to wheelie with my 07. First gear came up too violently.

The main thing I enjoy about my 09 is that I can use more of the power as the bike isn't as prone to wheel standing as my 07 was. The power is there, but it comes on pretty soft until the rpms build. After putting 30,000 miles on an 07 then running out and buying my 09 I was surprised how sluggish the 09 felt right off idle. The used bike I was looking at was dirt cheap and pretty hammered, so I figured it was just beat to death and possibly low on compression. Passed on that bike and bought a showroom fresh bike with very low miles. Felt exactly the same.

Unless my 07 was a ringer and all 6 of the 09's I've ridden have been sick 🤷

· Registered
2021 MT-09
153 Posts
Thanks for replies, now I am starting to be afraid of motos, these stories are so scary, I think I should reconsider my decision to buy a moto. (I am an ex cyclist too)
The "stories" are simply to describe to you the always present and possible flip side of riding a bike. As pointed out you always should ride to YOUR ability, while striving to improve at a safe and comfortable pace. But you also have to EXPECT automobiles to not see you, or simply not consider your path when they are on the road too.

It's also one thing to "speed" on a 100cc, but a completely different thing altogether to speed on a 900cc upright race bike. As a new rider you're likely to get into trouble if you ride the MT09 like you rode that 100cc.

But in the end if you DO still have some fears but still want to ride, then you should definitely start out smaller in order to help restrain your urge to full-throttle your new bike. In fact, why not start out on something like this which is smaller on cc's but also lighter on your wallet?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I inspected this bike at the dealer last week. Even this bike is pretty big. My priority is very low km 2021- 2022 used bikes. I only go to dealers to see the bikes and get info. The clerk at the dealer was trying to sell me the R7.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I rode someone's mt09 a few hours ago, I wandered around the neighborhood. It was second gen MT09, The moto is scary and funny. Owner said "dont worry I guarentee you will get used to it in a month". There is a quickshifter on it but does not work properly. I am soo confused. If I get one, I definitely want 2021 or newer.

· Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
361 Posts
@panier de fleurs , I think you have plenty of suggestions on whether it's a good or bad idea as a beginner bike in this thread.

The one thing I suggest is to put more weight on suggestions from members who have a solid riding background. Pay less attention to posters who have minimal riding experience because they know next to nothing about riding. Pay more attention to suggestions from actually experienced riders, especially those guys who have owned and ridden more than one motorcycle, or have raced/done track days.

Good luck in choosing and stay safe ;)

· Registered
6,613 Posts
My first ride on a bike was on a 305 Honda twin back in the 60's. My first bike was a '57 Triumph 6T 650 with no noticeable braking, a tendency for self disassembly and a fondness for tankslapping . Neither killed me, although the Triumph tried.
You can learn on anything if you have some restraint.

· Registered
43 Posts
I sense a lack of understanding about riding and bikes in general from the very first post, and some later posts just reinforce that to me.
Remember it is not only you that is in danger while you are riding.
If a whole heap of folk are saying to you "probably not a good choice for a first bike" then maybe have a think about what they are saying. You did ask for opinions after all.
It is your choice to take on or ignore advice from others.
You may not get a chance at a rethink if things go wrong.

· Registered
258 Posts
I apologize I don't have time now to read all these replies and your responses to them, so this may not take some of that into account.
For a first bike, if you have opportunity to take it off road at all, I'd think for me starting over, a smallish dual-sport, maybe 250 - 400 cc and actually take it out in the dirt and learn to ride.
If a dual-sport doesn't work for you, maybe a Kawasaki Z-400 street bike. When I started I got a Honda S-90 and put 12K miles on it, took it everywhere except the freeway and had a blast. But if you're gonna go on the freeway, you should probably get at least 400 CC.
BTW - a Z-400 is plenty fast.
The lighter the better to a point.
If you really wanna learn to ride street well maybe get a supermoto of some sort. Supermotos are really modified dirt bikes so you can take them in light dirt too.
I do think an FZ-09 is too much to begin with. Not that it can't be done, but you'll always be frustrated that you can't gas it for more than a few seconds at a time unless you want to risk going to jail. And you really don't want to take an FZ-09 in the dirt except maybe on an occasional dirt road.
If your point in getting a motorcycle is to have fun, (as I imagine you've read before) it's a lot more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. A 300 cc bike is plenty fast enough to have tons of fun on. You won't win any straight-line contests but you could get to where you could outdo plenty of guys on much bigger, faster bikes when the road starts getting curvy.
This probably isn't very helpful. But even a Grom would be a blast - but especially if it was about 250cc.

· Registered
58 Posts
It would be interesting to take a poll asking who learned to ride on a fast, high-performance bike and --

1) Loved it and never had any issues and would do it again
2) Loved it but ended up regretting it after a riding incident early in their riding experience
3) It scared the tar out of them and would have started on a smaller bike
4) It scared the tar out of them but they quickly got over it with no issues

Or something along those lines.

· Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,374 Posts
It would be interesting to take a poll asking who learned to ride on a fast, high-performance bike and --

1) Loved it and never had any issues and would do it again
2) Loved it but ended up regretting it after a riding incident early in their riding experience
3) It scared the tar out of them and would have started on a smaller bike
4) It scared the tar out of them but they quickly got over it with no issues

Or something along those lines.
Or 5) They rode the thing around and managed to live to tell about it, so now they think they’re a lot better at riding than they really are, even though they wouldn’t know what to do with it if they got anywhere near its potential…

· Premium Member
'23 MT-09 SP
30 Posts
Hello, do you think 2021-2022 model year mt09 could be the first bike ? I have no riding experience. Could I get used to it in the lowest power mode ?
Could you get used to it?: sure you could.
Is it a smart choice for your first "learner" bike? : Hell NO!
I can't add much of anything of value to what's already been said. However, I can emphasize a few salient points.
Motorcycles are awesome fun. They are also awesomely dangerous in potentially life changing ways. It's a bit like aviation, in terms of the potential cost of mistakes, particularly in traffic.
I would say, regardless of whatever bike you get, get some professional training from the get go. Pay attention to what you are taught and practice the lessons every time you throw a leg over.
At end of the day, you are an adult, make your decision and accept the consequences: that's a big part of motorcycling.

· Registered
43 Posts
No. Look at the risk/reward. Sure, with a smaller bike you risk that it might bore you. But getting a bigger bike like the MT-09 too soon means you risk a crippling injury or death. You can always trade up from the smaller bike for a little money and inconvenience. You can't trade up from a crippling injury or death. Given what you wrote about mastering that little motorcycle in ten minutes, please err on the side of caution.

· Registered
51 Posts
I think "restraint" is a good word or maybe a "controlled confidence" if you felt like you learned so quickly. I felt when I went through the schooling i took to it really fast ( I do have lots of BMX and Mountain Bike experience also many years of following Motorsports ) Not much experience with operating a clutch on a bike but being older i could put the understanding of the operation with confidence. Long story short I aced my class and was actually approached on being an instructor ( pretty awesome ). The bikes at the class will give the wrong impression of what an MT09 will deliver. I feel the reason why i did so well at the school was because the bike i had was the perfect balance of what you would need to learn and build awareness on. Comfortable with enough power so your not distracted away from the road and the many cars, traffic lights, stop signs, merges, sand and debris, etc etc. I bought my MT09 as my first and to get right to it, the power is no joke. Its scary and humbled me instantly. I bought it because I don't have the money to purchase multiple learning bikes. You can certainly learn on a MT09, just take it in baby steps. Find some quiet, clean, empty parking areas and mess around aggressively within your comfort zone. It honestly took several months to get to that point of not having to think about everything i was doing. Now with all my senses in check the bike is Bliss, such an adrenaline joy. Love this bike to the moon and back

21 - 40 of 80 Posts