Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I removed the gas cap assembly from my tank this past weekend and when I put it back in, the small ring around the assembly cracked right in half. I have no idea how it even happened, but it did :mad: Of course Yamaha doesnt offer just the plastic ring, you have to replace the whole assembly at $100+!!!

Question is, when I replace it, how do I get my key to work with it? Do I have to take it to the Yamaha dealer to have them fit the old key to the new gas cap? :confused:

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you don't end up going the aftermarket route; I actually have a good condition Yamaha Gas-cap that I would be willing to let go for much less than new. I am fairly certain that the lock tumbler unscrews from the base of the cap; I will take a look when I get home tonight.

I prefer the a locking style: people be crazy!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Most of the gas caps can be removed from the ring that bolts to the tank. Usually the hinge is a roll pin or something similar.

Further, most MFRs use the same or very similar gas caps on several bikes. I have not checked but I would be very surprised if FZ09 gas cap and the mounting ring are different than that part used on a FZ1 or FZ6 or probably many other Yamahas

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sent them and email to see which one, if any, will fit our bike. I'll post when I hear back. Also, Revzilla has this cap for about $20 cheaper.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Any one that is listed for a R1, R6, FZ1, FZ6, etc... will work. They're all standard Yamaha size and are pretty much the same.

This one will fit.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I installed the lightech cap today and there is a noticeable gap around the edges now. You can see right down into the gas cap compartment around the edges.

Is this normal with these racing caps?

·
Registered
277 Posts
P

Did you reuse the rubber gasket that goes around the edge of the gas cap assembly?
Yes I reused the rubber gasket, with some very minor modifications.

You should not have a gap around your cap, try fitting the stock gasket around your new one, you might need to break out an exacto knife or scissors to make it work. Just trim slowly and carefully, while test fitting periodically and it should be fine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Most are yes. But really it's super easy and takes maybe 5min. Just remove it from the stock cap and start fitting it to the underside of your new cap, it'll be very clear what needs to be trimmed to make it fit flush. The gasket has a raised edge which should fit around you new cap and sit flush with the tank and cap when installed.

As you start doing more mods you'll see that very very few are truly "plug n play" typically some type of fiddling is required. Just the nature of the beast!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts