Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm picking up a used 15' FZ09 this week already sorted fairly well with a rear shock (K-Tech), slipper clutch, custom tune, and the usual mods. I will be using this bike to coach, commute, and of course be a hooligan from time to time... I currently race with Wera on a R6 and I coach with STT.

How are the brakes on these bikes? I read plenty about the suspension but not so much on braking. I have a brembo MC and some steel lines in the garage that I will be putting on but seeing if the rotors are something you guys are replacing? Have many of you pushed these bikes on the track? I know this bike isn't made for that but hoping it will do the trick when coaching in novice/intermediate. The race bike is tuned for expensive fuel so I'm hoping the FZ will be efficient enough to handle the job for coaching and keep R6 for race only.

I used to race a 18' ZX10R and owned a GSXS1000 so very familiar with power but hoping this bike will deliver for daily commuting and track duty.

Stay safe out there! Will post pics when bike gets delivered...

·
Administrator
2,889 Posts
Welcome! It's great to have a new member here that's track going.
We have an entire section of the forum dedicated to that, so check it out next.

I think the FZ09 is a blast on track, and will be perfect for purposes you described.
As for the brakes, I think some upgrades are necessary. I only have upgraded pads (EBC) and SS lines. This improved well, but I still wish they were more powerful.

A popular upgrade is to go with R1 brakes. Search for this on the forum, and you'll find a lot of threads.

Looking forward to seeing your pics and hopefully get to ride with you in the South East. We'll be at Roebling at the end of June.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be racing at Roebling July 16th weekend and hope to do a track day before then with the new pavement. Thats a big deal and will really make that track fast!!!

Hoping my MC, SS lines, and good pads do the trick. I'll research the R1 setup for sure. Hopefully I will get to meet others on track with this bike and learn setup tricks...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Welcome wheelz96,

You'll like this site because I think we've covered everything about the FZ/MT. Along with @MK3Brent and @Darf I've been fortunate enough to do a few track days on the FZ and still learning (novice) how to lean off the bike, trail braking and being smooth. The FZ squirts out of the corners with the liter bikes but looses some steam in the straights. At Roebling I had a blast rolling the throttle out of turn 9, then on the long straight WOT maxing out 5th gear around 137 mph. I had trouble keeping speed through turn 2 and keeping the fastest lines. Ha, this was with N2 in the height of COVID.

@vcyclenut flashes ECU's to remove the speed limiter, turn on fan at lower to keep engine cooler and give more power in 2nd, 3rd gear along with an air box mode. He does custom flashes also but I'll bet your FZ is already flashed or you're running a power commander.

Post some photos of your FZ and R6 when you can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, the bike I bought has already been flashed and dyno'd. I'm lucky enough to be part of a race team and we have a dyno at the shop 10 minutes from home. This bike will be used for coaching novice/intermediate and help keep laps off the race bike which is tuned for U4 so the wife will be happy keeping costs down haha.

As far as getting comfortable on the track the biggest thing is seat time. If you have been fortunate to do a couple track days you already know you learn alot more in a weekend at the track then decades on the street! Newer track riders always focus on body position but honestly, before that makes a difference you need to focus on consistent lines, hitting apexes, brake markers/reference points, and your vision. Always looking as far ahead as possible is critical for going fast. It slows everything down allowing your body/brain to have time to react.

Love hearing there is some track day guys here as its so much safer and you will become a much more efficient rider! Next problem becomes you will want a dedicated track bike... Then the expenses really start haha.

Glad to join the forum and look forward to contributing anyway I can!

Pics to be posted soon. Bike delivers tonight!

·
Administrator
2,889 Posts
Pics to be posted soon. Bike delivers tonight!
Ahhhhhhh yes! Can't wait for your first impressions.
You mentioned the rear shock, but nothing about the front end. Is it stock? If so, that will HAVE to be next.
My bike has a Traxxion Dynamics AK20 front, with a Penske rear. It completely transformed the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately it is stock but that wont last long. I'll put a set of K-Tech carts in the front but want to ride the bike first before I just jump on the band wagon! First project will be rearsets (GP) and then controls.

I'll keep yall posted on the mods but I'm sure it wont be much different then most.

So what colors are fastest?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Land vehicle

First ride was yesterday and I had a blast! The front suspension is mushy garbage but that will be fixed soon enough... Super fun bike that prefers to ride on the back wheel it seems ;). The 890R beats me by about 2 bike lengths in every gear but the 09 is still a plenty capable motor and I love the torque! Already hurt some feelings in the twisties with the front end shaking to beat the band! Need to put a damper on the front but this bike is gonna stay in the garage a while... Haven't had this much fun on the street in a long time!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Swapped bike over to GP shift and found transmission is very smooth. No need for a QS.. The exhaust on this bike is obnoxious as hell and seems the owner didnt disconnect the AIS. The decel backfire is ridiculous lol. Looks like I'll be adding some block off plates and reflash. Probably will look into another exhaust option that isnt so short, stubby, and loud!

Installing new bars and plugs tonight. Need to flush out coolant, clean air filter, and swap out front MC and lines. Gonna bring bike to races this weekend and see if my suspension guy can work some magic temporarily on front end. However, I couldn't be happier with the purchase and now I'm trying to convince my race teammates to buy one haha

·
Administrator
2,889 Posts
Let's have a brutally honest review of your opinion after coming back from the track. I just couldn't believe how amazing the bike felt after riding 5-6 track days with the stock forks vs. my last 3 on the upgrades.

As for the exhaust, look at the Graves titanium option. IMO it's very classy.
I'm riding with an SC Project Conic exhaust, and it's a bit loud too. There are so many fun options to consider.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Let's have a brutally honest review of your opinion after coming back from the track. I just couldn't believe how amazing the bike felt after riding 5-6 track days with the stock forks vs. my last 3 on the upgrades.

As for the exhaust, look at the Graves titanium option. IMO it's very classy.
I'm riding with an SC Project Conic exhaust, and it's a bit loud too. There are so many fun options to consider.
To be clear, I will NOT be on track with the FZ09 this weekend. Its a race weekend on the R6. However, my suspension guy will be at the track and I will have him setup the bike and swap springs while he is there.

I can already tell the front end is way too soft to push at track. Once I get the forks and shock serviced and/or replaced I will give you an honest review of how bike feels on the track.

This is my race bike..
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motorcycle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts