Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay guys I am ready to pull the trigger on a new FZ09 in about two weeks , I have been doing a lot of research and the only real fear I have about the bike is the wheelie factor. what I was hopping for on here is some one or some people that might be willing to send me a private message with there # that I could talk to in person and pick there brain on a few things .
things like I have heard a computer mod tends to tame it down and suspension tightening helps it too .. any way thanks for any help . would be much appreciated

Keith

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
agreed...I rode mine for a few weeks before 1st trying to pull the front end up...you have to TRY to do it, its just alot easier than alot of other bikes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so if your rolling along in second gear and want to pass some one at like 6 grand and you crack the thottle wide open It wont want to pop a wheelie ?
and I like the looks of the 09 over the fz8 or 07

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
agreed...I rode mine for a few weeks before 1st trying to pull the front end up...you have to TRY to do it, its just alot easier than alot of other bikes

maybe your bike was a dud, but on mine I have to try to NOT pull a wheelie ..I pulled 2 wheelies on the way home from the dealership by simply trying to accelerate away from a stop light..:)

so if your rolling along in second gear and want to pass some one at like 6 grand and you crack the thottle wide open It wont want to pop a wheelie ?
Thats a guaranteed wheelie right there

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You can't just randomly whack the throttle wide open in the lower gears and not wheelie, learn the bike, what it will/won't do. The 09 isn't the hardest bike to ride, but you do need to respect its engine.

What bikes do you already have experience with, and how many miles?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
You might want to check out the FZ-07, it may be more what you're looking for...
Check out the New Yamaha R3* too. It may be more of what you're really looking for.....

*probably 6+ months away

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R6 .. ninja 250 couple of others . good rider just not into doing wheelies LOL I know you need to learn the bikes characteristics thats not hard .. im just trying to get a feel for the wheelie factor and you guys are being a real help thank you very much for your input .

·
Registered
11 Posts
The front tire gets light easy, but I don't think it's anything that would surpise anyone. B mode is controllable and predictable, you can use that to get comfortable with the bike.

If you're having concerns about the power, I'd also recommend looking at the 07. Looks like a pretty nice bike to me.

Just my .02. Good luck.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You'll be fine - we like to talk scary on this forum.
It is a blast to ride and I actually enjoy it over my R1.

I give the FZ-09 a 10 in agility, a 10 in torque and a 10 in fun factor.

If you are a sensible rider, you'll be fine with it. It isn't slow, it isn't heavy and it isn't flashy. I love how it confuses people on the road (How is that guy able to beat those sportbike guys?). I tell everyone that I have unique motorcycle training experience.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Great stuff.....!!! You can balance like that....???

Reactions: Horsman

·
Registered
349 Posts
Great stuff.....!!! You can balance like that....???
I like to do the motorcycle ballet on the weekends and write Haikus like DJO - LOL

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
If you have plenty of time on a R6, and used its full RPM and throttle you will do fine with the 09, but it is different, the power starts at a waaaay lower RPM, and the soft suspension + rider position means it will wheelie easier. Just take your time to learn it.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
If you have plenty of time on a R6, and used its full RPM and throttle you will do fine with the 09, but it is different, the power starts at a waaaay lower RPM, and the soft suspension + rider position means it will wheelie easier. Just take your time to learn it.
You'll be fine if you're able to Master the moves in the second clip in post #11.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
In 2000 miles and 4 months of ownership-riding it hard and in A mode 95% of the time, I have never had the front end come up on me either intentionally or accidently. I'm always aware that it WILL come up if I'm careless, but I'm not really a wheelie guy anyway. Nonetheless, this in no way diminishes the riding experience or limits you to crawling along in fear of the front end lofting skyward. As was stated it's easy to do, but just as easy to avoid it. My pre FZ was an R6, and yes the front end is much lighter on the FZ and your weight is not as centered over the front as on the R6, but I personally wouldn't let it deter me from getting THE 09- it's an amazing bike...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
In 2000 miles and 4 months of ownership-riding it hard and in A mode 95% of the time, I have never had the front end come up on me either intentionally or accidently. I'm always aware that it WILL come up if I'm careless, but I'm not really a wheelie guy anyway. Nonetheless, this in no way diminishes the riding experience or limits you to crawling along in fear of the front end lofting skyward. As was stated it's easy to do, but just as easy to avoid it. My pre FZ was an R6, and yes the front end is much lighter on the FZ and your weight is not as centered over the front as on the R6, but I personally wouldn't let it deter me from getting THE 09- it's an amazing bike...ridden by amazing people.
Fixed that for you. Hope you don't mind.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Agreed:cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts