Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, pretty excited to pick up my FZ either today or tomorrow and ride it! Several months I have been scouring craigslist/cycle trader for a used FZ-09 in pristine condition within a 6 hour radius and I just couldn't find anything that was an absolute killer deal so I gave up hope and had decided to purchase an FZ-07 this upcoming memorial weekend.

Long story short, I'm out in hillbilly country (Ozark Mountains) last Friday afternoon at a mom & pop motorcycle shop that I go to from time to time to buy tires, batteries, etc (I try to support small local businesses). They specialize in restoring and selling vintage cruisers and the foot traffic per week is maybe 50 people, mostly large grey bearded harley guys. I was out there buying a new battery for my 2003 R6 and I honestly never bother looking at their small inventory of 6-8 bikes...I happened to look over to the right because something red caught my eye....I literally tripped over myself trying to stop mid-stride.

Sitting there next to a couple of 70'-80's cruisers is a Rapid Red 2014 FZ-09 with 1,183 miles just chillin' out...I ask what a bike like this is doing way out here and they saide a family friend that collects bikes had a heart attack in late March and he needs to sell a few bikes to help pay bills. I casually asked how much he wanted...guy wanted $6,500, which is already a great deal, but I never pay asking price so I offered $6,000...he countered @ $6,100.

Bank is issuing me a check by end of today and I'll go out there either today or tomorrow afternoon and pick it up. I feel like I'm robbing the guy!! There isn't a single scratch on it and the tires still have the little rubber spikes near the edges. I can tell he hasn't ridden it hard at all. Lady said the guy is in his early 50's and I guess the bike terrified him so it's one of a few he wants to sell.

This bike is going to be my primary commute/hooligan bike. I'm mostly a track day junkie and already have a dedicated track weapon, but I want a fun commuter. My 2003 R6 just isn't a fun street bike for me anymore, after a 25min ride I'm ready to get off of it and stretch my lower back.

My current stable:
2006 Yamaha R6 - Dedicated track bike
2003 Yamaha R6 - backup street bike, probably sell it to fund mods for the FZ
2014 FZ-09 - new primary street bike

As you can see I'm a Yamaha fan boy and my blood runs blue! I read suspension can be wonky but I'm not buying this bike to drag my knee & carve twisties, those urges are addressed at the track. It's mostly just going to be highway miles. Any absolutely necessary mods I need to buy ASAP? I really only plan to install a fender eliminator, LED blinkers, and bar end mirrors.

I'll post pictures once I have the bike in my possession.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. What an excellent find! I had to chuckle when you asked about absolutely necessary mods and, in the same breath, you're planning fender eliminator, LEDs, etc. Bottom line is mod choices are mostly personal and objective. You'll figure them out on your own and you'll have plenty of suggestions from our membership.

Have fun. You're gonna love it!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sweet find man! I'm in NE OK and frequent the Ozarks/Pig Trail a couple times a year, we outta meet up :cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Congrats on the new "toy". You will make great use of it in the Ozarks. I am originally from Springfield, MO but now live in the KC area. I still make a few trips down to NW Arkansas to enjoy all the great roads. My favorite is probably HWY 76 through Jasper to Ponka. I love the sweeping turns and elevation changes on that road.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Congrats!

If you are going to be riding it on the highway for the most part you're probably going to want a windscreen. The wind can be brutal on this bike. I put on a puig touring screen a couple of days ago and it helped a ton. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome and congratulations. What an excellent find! I had to chuckle when you asked about absolutely necessary mods and, in the same breath, you're planning fender eliminator, LEDs, etc. Bottom line is mod choices are mostly personal and objective. You'll figure them out on your own and you'll have plenty of suggestions from our membership.

Have fun. You're gonna love it!
Well I have to immediately get rid of that horrendous plate holder and turn signals :D. But all that stuff is a pretty cheap fix. But performance wise, I was curious if there are cheap or free mods needed like an air box mod, etc. I think I may need to take it to a dealership to update the fuel map to fix throttle issues, correct? That is a cheap/free mod!

I'm not going to dump a bunch of $$ on exhaust or new suspension because that amount of $$ will continue to be invested into my track bike. Track days and going fast is a very expensive hobby.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet find man! I'm in NE OK and frequent the Ozarks/Pig Trail a couple times a year, we outta meet up :cool:
I'm down for a ride anytime. PM me and we can exchange contact info if you'd like?

I stopped riding on street for about 2 years and just focused on track days, so I'm really out of the loop and no longer know anyone that rides. The few guys I still talk to had kids and sold their bikes

·
Super Moderator
4,451 Posts
Score!
Storming deal if it's a solid bike. Welcome to the forum.

I'll be out your way at the end of next week even though it looks like rain and storms every day.
Mountain View Thursday/Friday, Jasper Saturday/Sunday, Eureka Springs Monday/Tuesday.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Score!
Storming deal if it's a solid bike. Welcome to the forum.

I'll be out your way at the end of next week even though it looks like rain and storms every day.
Mountain View Thursday/Friday, Jasper Saturday/Sunday, Eureka Springs Monday/Tuesday.
Dang, I'm ahead of you 1 week. I'm going to the Buffalo River this weekend at Ponca to float and stay in a cabin. Ponca is right next to Jasper.

It's an absolutely storming deal and rock solid bike! I finally met the guy face to face today to make the deal and he had receipts for the 600 mile service and when he took it in for a headlight recall?? Anyways, the bike came with everything he had, including owners/service manual, all sets of keys, and his old plate so I can ride a couple weeks w/o hassles from cops for having those temporary paper tags. The guy bought it with 0 mile on odometer back in May 2014 and took meticulous care of it. It has 1,193 miles on it about a full year later. Manufacture date of 10/2013.

I honestly feel like I robbed him after signing the deal and watching him transfer the title over to me for $6,100.

I only had time to snap 1 photo as I was running very late to get home to take the ol' lady to her bday dinner.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats on the new "toy". You will make great use of it in the Ozarks. I am originally from Springfield, MO but now live in the KC area. I still make a few trips down to NW Arkansas to enjoy all the great roads. My favorite is probably HWY 76 through Jasper to Ponka. I love the sweeping turns and elevation changes on that road.
I agree, HWY 76 is super fun. I'll be driving down HWY 76 this coming Friday for cabin/float trip on the buffalo river. It can be pretty boring though if you happen to get stuck behind a slow ghetto school bus hauling a huge trailer of rental canoes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats on the deal, and welcome to the forum. If it was me I would at least replace the fork springs and put a used zx10 shock in the back. The brake dive is nasty, and the zx10 is a good bang for the buck (100) in terms of keeping the rear up on acceleration. Or not depending on your weight...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats. You will want to get the ECU re-flashed at a Yamaha dealer. It totally takes care of the jerky throttle problem. Enjoy
Already on it! Before I bought the bike I called the shop and provided vin# for them to check that everything is up to date.

Scheduled to go into the Yamaha dealer tomorrow at 9am for the fuel map update.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've only put abut 80 miles on it and I can tell I will love this bike once I get a few things fixed to my liking.

1. Throttle Issues - I cannot get a smooth launch on this thing and it is super jerky on/off throttle, not smooth at all like either of my R6's. I feel like I time traveled 7 years ago when I was first learning to ride and how to launch & shift smoothly. There is also a lot of side to side free play in the throttle tube and moves too much for my liking. I tried tightening the bar end to get rid of the loose feel it but did not help. I dropped the bike off at a Yamaha dealership this morning to get the Fuel Map/ECU reflash and also asked them to fix the throttle tube or find a way to eliminate the amount of side to side travel.

2. Suspension - yesterday morning was my first ride and after 10 minutes I turned around and went home to adjust the forks and shock. It felt like I was sitting on one of those spring horses that you used to play on as a kid where it would dive back and forth really far. Each time I used the front brake it felt like I was going to do a radical endo stoppie...The settings when I bought it showed 8 lines on the fork tubes, preload were maxed out on soft, and the rear shock was on setting # 3. The guy I bought from was about 160lbs, I'm 205. I maxed the front/rear preload screws to 0.5 clicks outs from hardest, put the rear shock on setting # 6 out of 7, and fork tubes now show 1.5 lines. Although not amazing, it was a night and day difference after these adjustments and I can live with it for commuting.

3. Seat - this stock seat is god awful. I thought the seats on my R6's were bad but this seat makes the R6 seat feel like a goldwing. My first planned mods were going to be a fender eliminator and rhinomoto bar ends with CRG mirrors, but I'm buying a new seat 1st. 20 minutes into my ride and I'm ready to get off of it. I need to go to a cycling shop and buy some anti-chafing cream!

Other than that I really like the bike and can see myself owning this a very long time.

Here are some pics to show how clean the bike is. Like I said, this bike is pristine and a helluva find.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Honda
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Vehicle Windshield Auto part Speedometer Car

·
Registered
187 Posts
enjoy, i love me some ozark mountain roads! you probably will want the ecu flashed asap though, those roads on a choppy bike are no fun

·
Registered
391 Posts
Welcome! You found a killer deal! I'd put a shock on it. Depending on your weight you'll almost surely feel the pogo effect. I'm in Springfield MO if you want we can ride sometime.

Reactions: Steve101
1 - 20 of 20 Posts